D&D 5E The problem with 5e

If he was hurt and bleeding, then he wouldn't be good as new after taking a nap. If there was nothing physically wrong with him whatsoever, then he wouldn't fall unconscious and potentially bleed to death from taking a single point of "real" damage.

There is no possible state for Bob to be in that supports his being perfectly fine after taking a nap, while also being an inch away from death. Your position is untenable.

To say nothing of that fact that you're trying to model the narrative and theological effects of an attack, while completely neglecting the physical reality where it's taking place. If you're firing an arrow at someone, and the possibility of it actually hitting them isn't even on the table, then something has gone catastrophically wrong with your model.
1) In example #1. Bob is not fine and well. He is down to zero and dying. Read Saelorn, read. He will need assistance and someone to stabilize him.

2) In the other example. Everything is fine. Hp are going down. But no actual real debilitating harm is done. That is why an overnight nap will restore HP (using HD in my case, or magic). HP are plot armor, experience and yaddi yadda.

2b) Yes the arrow did hit but did no real damage. The armor saved the day, be it the plot armor or the armor itself or the gods' favor or just an instinctive reaction from Bob who shifted just enough so that the angle the arrow hit was just a graze. That is what HP represent. Unless you go down, no permanent or debilitating bodily harm is done. You're just tired, bruised and battered but otherwise fine. Only if you fall down to zero will you be actually injured.

And this is at the zero that the trouble start. There are no consequences to fall to zero. A lucky death save of 20 and hey! You're at 1hp with full capacity. A level of exhaustion should be given. But that is not in the rule.

Again. HP are not meat point. There are other systems that do that and they're not that popular either. But do as you want.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
@Helldritch

I think it is incoherent to describe a hit that deal as damage as a parried strike. If that's a hit what's a miss then?
Under this model, a miss is an attack that didn't exhaust him at all to defend against. No bruise, no strain, little or no sweat.

A hit that leaves the target at positive HP causes minor to trivial injury at most, but primarily wears them down and makes it harder for them to defend themselves from the eventual blow which truly gets through their guard- the one that reduces them to 0 HP.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Under this model, a miss is an attack that didn't exhaust him at all to defend against. No bruise, no strain, little or no sweat.

A hit that leaves the target at positive HP causes minor to trivial injury at most, but primarily wears them down and makes it harder for them to defend themselves from the eventual blow which truly gets through their guard- the one that reduces them to 0 HP.
This. In general, I narrate based on the result of the target much more so than the result of any one attack roll. The hit that knocks a target to 0 is a big hit, whether it does 5 or 50 damage. If the target only goes down from 500 to 470 HP, then the hit isn't that big of deal, even if it was a max damage critical.

1) In example #1. Bob is not fine and well. He is down to zero and dying. Read Saelorn, read. He will need assistance and someone to stabilize him,
I wasn't talking about your example #1. That example almost makes sense. Until he rolls a 20 on the death save, and then takes a nap after the fight, thus removing all evidence that one hour ago he was twelve seconds away from bleeding to death (assuming a good roll on his Hit Die).

So which is it? Was he beaten within twelve seconds of death? Or was he not substantially injured? Because the rules tell us that both are true, which is inconsistent.
2b) Yes the arrow did hit but did no real damage. The armor saved the day, be it the plot armor or the armor itself or the gods' favor or just an instinctive reaction from Bob who shifted just enough so that the angle the arrow hit was just a graze. That is what HP represent. Unless you go down, no permanent or debilitating bodily harm is done. You're just tired, bruised and battered but otherwise fine. Only if you fall down to zero will you be actually injured.
Now you're just making stuff up. There is no factor in the equation of Hit Points for plot armor, or divine favor.

Plot armor isn't real, even by the standards of a world with magic and dragons. This isn't some cheesy pulp novel, where events unfold by the rule of drama.

The gods aren't actively intervening in the affairs of mortals. Or if they are, they're doing so by much more explicit methods. They aren't micro-managing the trajectory of every weapon on every battlefield ever.

It's like you aren't even pretending to take this seriously.

Last edited:

Wow. How bad is this attacker, that their target doesn't even need to try to defend against their attacks? About as impressive as the cleric whose "miracles" are less effective than taking a nap, I suppose. Truly, this is an Age of Heroes.

I have considered that. Has anyone actually tried this? I'm afraid that it would be too punitive to front line warriors who take most of the beating.
The reason I use lingering injuries instead is that most of them are generally less punitive then exhaustion (I've house ruled exhaustion, but I actually want something to reflect exhaustion).

I've not specifically tried exhaustion for 0, but my experience is that exhaustion generally leads to 'rest now' if at all possble. You can't get very far into exhaustion without getting caught in a death spiral. Half Speed can be extremely dangerous and at level 3 with disadvantage on saving throws and ability checks combat effectiveness is way down.

It's a delicate balance. You want it to feel like something has happened, but you can easily put the players in a double bind that is not fun. They will want to retreat and rest but if there is any reason (such as time pressure) they must continue then they risk being frustrated and annoyed. It's not fun to enter a climactic battle and be barely able to contribute.

I've found that death spirals work best in games when you would not normally have to fight more then one battle before getting a full recovery.

Something that might work is something like an "injury die". Just proceed as normal but whenever you try an action, roll a d12. If the roll is a 1 then the action fails due to the injury. (And you can drop the die size for more severe injuries). This means that the character's effectiveness is not hugely affected - but every now and then the injury will be felt and the character will definitely want to get rid of it as soon as they can.

@Helldritch

I think it is incoherent to describe a hit that deal as damage as a parried strike. If that's a hit what's a miss then?
Loss of hit points only has to mean that you are closer to dying as a result of the attack. It could be the parry that strains your arm a little and makes it less likely that a future parry will stop a blow in time. It might just be an attack that puts you on the back foot for a bit.

And as a corollary, a miss is an attack that doesn't increase your chance of losing that fight. For instance, in a fencing incident, I have been stabbed in the shoulder. The entry wound has healed up but there is still a scar at the exit wound. However in D&D terms, I probably lost no hit points: There wasn't that much blood loss, and while painful (particularly when my horrified partner instinctively pulled their sword out) it did not actually impair movement or use. It would be hard to imagine someone actually being incapacitated with multiple similar wounds, even for my lowly commoner self.

This links in with how I see hit point recovery in 5e. Hit point loss is rarely represented by actual injury, such as cuts and contusions, but when it is, the wound doesn't disappear after a short or long rest. After the first aid applied during a short rest, that cut is still there. After a long rest the character is still showing bruises. Its just a case that they have ceased to increase the chance that future attacks will incapacitate the character.
They probably still twinge a bit, and the character might complain about them, but in the adrenaline of a fight, they're not actually slowing them down at all.

Wow. How bad is this attacker, that their target doesn't even need to try to defend against their attacks? About as impressive as the cleric whose "miracles" are less effective than taking a nap, I suppose. Truly, this is an Age of Heroes.
Where did Mannahin say anything about the target not needing to try to defend against? They mention that an attack might not exhaust the defender to defend against it, but that is not the same thing.

@Cap'n Kobold
You see Hp just about as I see them. Until the very end, no real injury has been received.

And for @Saelorn
There are such things as overwhelming pain that makes you pass out but that in the end, did not do so much damage. I once was in a car accident and got lucky that the drunkard that hit me was not going a few more miles faster. My car was a total loss and they had all the trouble of the world to get me out. It took me three hours to recover and I even called my friend at work to tell him that I would not take him to work with me as I had an accident (I was on my way to pick him up). I called him at work... that is how much my mind was in a jumble. And yet, after a nice nap, a clearance from the hospital. I went to work the very next night (night shift...). Yep I was bruised, yes I was a bit stiff in the joints. But I was ok enough to work.

I am not a 10th level fighter, barb or whatever and I could do that. Is it so hard to imagine that a hero can do as much if not better?

This seems a bit over the top.

It's not too hard to imagine the difference between an attack that you can clearly see coming and neatly sidestep or parry and one that causes desperate scrambling and change of direction to avoid.

I can understand not liking this approach particulary (I'm not sure I really do and I use it myself), but it's not especially incoherent.

The difficult bit is determining what exactly a cure spell does in response to an attack that didn't actually hit - but there's really no way to conceptualise hp in a way that doesn't lead to inconsistencies somewhere.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases