D&D General The Problem with Evil or what if we don't use alignments?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
See, now we have that alignment is useful... to the people who know how to use alignment from older editions. It isn't currently useful to those people who are new and are coming into it. Which is a weird pivot from earlier claims that you made that there are no problems with new people coming in an using alignment. You and others have claimed that they do perfect fine understanding it... but now they need an expansion of alignment, to get full use out of it.
Which is also not what I said. I said it's not that useful to new people, which means that it is a bit useful. More alignment information would increase that use a great deal, without adding anything negative.
But at the same time, those people who don't get a use out of alignment as currently written, don't need to use it.
Which completely ignore that blatantly obvious context that it was written in, since they were responses to people who know the older alignment. Not one such reply was about or to new people.
1) You and other people who use alignment say you get great use out of alignment.
Yep.
2) You and the people who use alignment have stated that if we don't understand alignment, then we don't need to use it.
And also that a lot of it is willful ignorance. We explain it clearly, but a lot of people we explain it to just ignore the explanations and keep repeating the mantra, "There is no use for alignment" over and over.
3) You would not claim that not using alignment breaks the game or makes it unplayable. Not using alignment is a viable way of playing.
This isn't relevant.
4) The currently written system of alignment is inadequate, unless you understand it from previous editions. (Your claim)
Which just means that it needs to be made adequate, not that it needs to be removed. You don't stop using a good tool just because you bought one that has a flaw in it. You toss that one away and get a new one that isn't flawed.
5) The people in point 1 are still getting use out of the currently written system of alignment.
Okay.
6) If point 3 is true, then no expansion of alignment is necessary, because not using alignment is viable, and in point 2 we have established that you believe those who don't understand alignment should just abandon it.
No. This is a faulty conclusion.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Which is also not what I said. I said it's not that useful to new people, which means that it is a bit useful. More alignment information would increase that use a great deal, without adding anything negative.

Which completely ignore that blatantly obvious context that it was written in, since they were responses to people who know the older alignment. Not one such reply was about or to new people.

I'm impressed, you can tell how long someone has been playing DnD just from their username? See, because one person I'm pretty sure you responded to was @AcererakTriple6 who if memory serves me has said that they started DnD with the start of 5th edition. They would be a new player. Also, how many people you responded to started in 4e?

And I would argue that there is a negative, adding information which many of us have no use for, all under the call of people who don't need that information.

And also that a lot of it is willful ignorance. We explain it clearly, but a lot of people we explain it to just ignore the explanations and keep repeating the mantra, "There is no use for alignment" over and over.

And here is the rub, isn't it? You can't accept that alignment can be confusing and hard for people to understand (which is weird because you want more alignment text to explain 5e alignment for people who don't understand it) but in reality you are convinced that the people who claim that position are acting in bad faith. That they could understand and utilize the system, but refuse to do so.

It is far easier to dismiss their expierence and opinions when you can claim their motives are rotten.

This isn't relevant.

It is relevant. If alignment is neccessary for the game to function, then it is much more important. If it is not necessary for the game to function, then why should we bother to expand them? It is a very relevant point

Which just means that it needs to be made adequate, not that it needs to be removed. You don't stop using a good tool just because you bought one that has a flaw in it. You toss that one away and get a new one that isn't flawed.

Interesting. So, back to point #3, is alignment vital to a proper functioning of DnD?

Because if it is, then we could surely all agree on when alignment wasn't flawed. However, there are many posters that have claimed alignment is flawed... from its inception in 2e when the 9-point alignment system was introduced. So, if you bought a flawed tool, which you replaced with a flawed tool, which you replaced with a flawed tool.... maybe at some point you stop looking for the better version of that tool and just accept that it is a flawed tool?

Anecdotal, but I found alignment flawed in 3.5 when I got the books for christmas and tried to make a character. It confused me utterly, and eventually I just stopped paying attention to it, because I found I didn't need the tool. So, 5e alignment is flawed, 3.X alignment is flawed, 2e alignment is flawed. 1e didn't have 9-point alignment and neither did 4e. So, where is the non-flawed version of alignment?

No. This is a faulty conclusion.

It appears that way to you, because you dismissed a lynch pin point and refuse to see the other side as anything more than bad actors. Your biases are vast in this matter. And since I'm sure you dismissed my last section by claiming that it is only my opinion that 2e or 3.X were flawed... I'd like to remind you that it is only your opinion that 5e alignment is flawed and inadequate. I accepted your premise, but you refuse to accept mine.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I'm impressed, you can tell how long someone has been playing DnD just from their username? See, because one person I'm pretty sure you responded to was @AcererakTriple6 who if memory serves me has said that they started DnD with the start of 5th edition. They would be a new player. Also, how many people you responded to started in 4e?
Or their words. Whether he's a new user or not, he is aware of and has knowledge of the older editions, as does everyone else I've been talking to.
And I would argue that there is a negative, adding information which many of us have no use for, all under the call of people who don't need that information.
Information that a minority of people have no use for and a majority do, is not a negative. You don't want to use it, don't.
You can't accept that alignment can be confusing and hard for people to understand
Because it's easy, that's why.
(which is weird because you want more alignment text to explain 5e alignment for people who don't understand it)
No. I want it for the people who have limited use because of the limited 5e language. For those of you who refuse to understand it, I don't really care if you read the new text or not.
It is far easier to dismiss their expierence and opinions when you can claim their motives are rotten.
Their experience is 13+ years old. That was the last time alignment could be used negatively. Since 4e, alignment isn't the problem, bad DM's and bad Players are. Without alignment, they'd just use some other excuse to be abusive.
If alignment is neccessary for the game to function, then it is much more important. If it is not necessary for the game to function, then why should we bother to expand them? It is a very relevant point
"Necessary" is a Red Herring. Nothing in the game is necessary to play. It can all be removed completely or re-worked in another manner. Hit points? Not necessary. Armor class? Not necessary. Class? Not necessary. Monsters? Not necessary. Experience? Not necessary. Treasure? Not necessary. And so on.
Interesting. So, back to point #3, is alignment vital to a proper functioning of DnD?
Who said that?
Because if it is, then we could surely all agree on when alignment wasn't flawed. However, there are many posters that have claimed alignment is flawed... from its inception in 2e when the 9-point alignment system was introduced. So, if you bought a flawed tool, which you replaced with a flawed tool, which you replaced with a flawed tool.... maybe at some point you stop looking for the better version of that tool and just accept that it is a flawed tool?
Alignment as it was used in 3e(minus 3e's alignment mechanics) is not a flawed tool at all. There are only people who misuse the tool, making it a people problem, not an alignment problem.
Anecdotal, but I found alignment flawed in 3.5 when I got the books for christmas and tried to make a character. It confused me utterly, and eventually I just stopped paying attention to it, because I found I didn't need the tool. So, 5e alignment is flawed, 3.X alignment is flawed, 2e alignment is flawed. 1e didn't have 9-point alignment and neither did 4e. So, where is the non-flawed version of alignment?
What confused you about it? It's not as if it was a straightjacket. It's just a tool to aid in roleplay. Use what parts of it you like and ignore the rest. And 1e did in fact have 9 point alignment.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Or their words. Whether he's a new user or not, he is aware of and has knowledge of the older editions, as does everyone else I've been talking to.

Wait, so now it isn't "new people" now it is "knowledgeable people"? That's a pretty big moving of goal posts that you just did.

Information that a minority of people have no use for and a majority do, is not a negative. You don't want to use it, don't.

Quite a bit to unpack here.

1) You have no way of knowing that the majority of people have a use for this information. You are basing this on absolutely nothing.

2) I find it very unlikely that the majority of people would have a use for this information, due to the constraints we discussed. Anyone "knowledgeable" enough about the older editions to already have a use from alignment don't need this information. Those that don't use alignment like myself, will find no use for it. So, the only people who would get use from it are the new people who want to use alignment but find that the current amount of information is inadequate. That does not sound like the majority of players to me.

3) Here is that point that you said was "irrelevant" before. If I don't want to use (or am confused by) it then I shouldn't use it. Which, implies that the game functions perfectly without alignment.

Because it's easy, that's why.

Obviously not, you just seem to think it is easy because you have constructed a decades long paradigm based around it. To you, by this point, it must be easy, but clearly it is not easy for everyone.

Heck, if it is so easy, why do you want an expansion of the alignment text? It is so easy you can't imagine people are confused by it, so expanding it would be pointless. It is too easy to need an expansion.

No. I want it for the people who have limited use because of the limited 5e language. For those of you who refuse to understand it, I don't really care if you read the new text or not.

But it is so easy, so the limited text shouldn't be a problem.

And again, you say that those of us who don't love alignment like you do are simply refusing to understand it. To you, it is impossible for a problem to exist, it must instead be that we are malicious actors.

Their experience is 13+ years old. That was the last time alignment could be used negatively. Since 4e, alignment isn't the problem, bad DM's and bad Players are. Without alignment, they'd just use some other excuse to be abusive.

But 5e alignment needs an expansion because it is inadequate and doesn't work? But 5e alignment is also impossible to be a problem?

Heck, you claim that the only possible explanation for issues people claim to be based on alignment is that abusive players and abusive DMs are being abusive. It can't be the tool they are using, because they'd be abusive no matter what. But, then you are painting those of us who don't like alignment as... what? Ignorant? Malicious? Abusive?

See, you are setting up this perfect little paradigm. If people agree with you about alignment, it is because they are intelligent enough to understand it. But alignment needs an expansion, because 5e alignment is flawed. But if we disagree with you, it is because we are maliciously refusing to understand a system that is so incredibly easy to understand that it is impossible to be confused by. And any problems we have are irrelevant because they stem from versions of alignment from 3.X, which haven't been true for over 13 years.

And how do you want to expand alignment? By making it closer to what it was in 3.X. And if it is something we don't agree with, it is because we have malicious intent. We want to remove something that you use from the game. And if we talk about how it was misused, that is because of abusive players who would have found some other way to be abusive, not because the tool itself was flawed.

At every turn, you set it up so that Alignment is an unassailable good for the game, because anyone who disagrees with you is ignorant, malicious or abusive. In your mind, it is impossible to have a good faith disagreement with alignment.

Necessary" is a Red Herring. Nothing in the game is necessary to play. It can all be removed completely or re-worked in another manner. Hit points? Not necessary. Armor class? Not necessary. Class? Not necessary. Monsters? Not necessary. Experience? Not necessary. Treasure? Not necessary. And so on.

For DnD to function as written Hit Points are necessary, if you remove them the game does not function as written.
For DnD to function as written Armor Class is necessary, if you remove it the game does not function as written.
For DnD to function as written Classes are necessary, if you remove them the game does not function as written.
For DnD to function as written Monsters are necessary, if you remove them the game does not function as written.

Treasure and Experience? I'll give you those two. Amusingly, Experience is something that I loathe and remove from every single game of DnD that I play in. In fact, I've had DMs try to enforce XP... and give up about six sessions in. And treasure is highly variable.

Now, can you rework HP, AC, Classes or Monsters and make a functional game? Sure. I was playing a game earlier today that had none of those things. And it worked very well. But, let us say that I just deleted HP from the game and said "Okay, we are playing DnD and all I've done is remove all hp from the game." Do you honestly think the game still functions as intended? Not for a single session, but going forward for all time in every mode of play the game is meant to contain, does it still work without HP? No. Same with AC. Same with Classes. Same with the concept of Monsters (which I assume you mean to refer to enemy statblocks, and not specific monsters like dragons or beholders, because that is a far different category)

However, I have removed Alignment from my games. Completely. I didn't rework it, it simply does not exist. And my game continues to function just fine. So, much like if you wanted to expand the rules for Expeirence Gain in DnD, I would ask you what the intended good is of that expansion. We don't need it. Quite a lot of people don't want it. And it seems to have no benefit for the game. Unless you can tell em the specific benefits of expanding alignment. Not "The benefits are obvious if you understand the system, which you refuse to understand because you don't like alignment". That is a cop out that denigrates me and refuses to engage. Give me the benefits you would expect to see from expanding alignment.

Who said that?

Who asked the question you mean. It is implied that you think it is not, which is part of my point.

Alignment as it was used in 3e(minus 3e's alignment mechanics) is not a flawed tool at all. There are only people who misuse the tool, making it a people problem, not an alignment problem.

Interesting. So, you do want to take alignment back to the time period that everyone is complaining about, that "your complaint's haven't been valid for 13 years" but you don't want to expand the mechanics of it, just the description. Back to the time which I can say definitively, I found alignment to be very confusing. But to you, this is a problem with the people, not the tool, because the tools cannot be flawed, because you like the tool.

What confused you about it? It's not as if it was a straightjacket. It's just a tool to aid in roleplay. Use what parts of it you like and ignore the rest. And 1e did in fact have 9 point alignment.

The tool did not aid my roleplaying, it hindered my roleplaying. I had a concept I wanted to play, then I was told I was required to put that concept in a box labeled alignment. And that concept did not fit in a box. I have played many characters that alignment seems unable to define.

You say "it isn't a straightjacket" like that has some meaning, yet you don't even understand what issue I had with it. The issue isn't that it is a straightjacket, the issue is that it doesn't make sense. The points they use to define the boxes can even be contradictory, as we have established in this thread and in the thread "Chaos is the Problem" that you have also replied in.

And then we get to the even more amusing part of it. You are talking about 3.X alignment, the alignment you want to take 5e back to. And your advice to someone who says they found it confusing (after being unable to understand how) is to tell them to use what they like and abandon the rest. So, the 3.X version of alignment still had parts that were easily ignored and not needed for the game to be played as intended. So, you want to expand alignment to a version that could easily have parts cut out of it, and nothing of value could be lost. Which seems like... a useless expansion.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I'm just smiling about someone named Chaosmancer not liking alignment.

Kek

Fair enough. The name comes from an old story I was righting. Before Avatar was a thing, I had a similar idea based on "geomancers" in the Final Fantasy Tactics game. "-mancer" clearly being some sort of "manipulator of" and the idea of an elemental chaos of Fire-Water Earth-Air Light-Dark. Kept the name, since it was the first novel I ever tried to seriously write

d24454_modern

Explorer
I've found that people don't actually like to be punished for their actions. They play a Paladin cause it can heal. They don't actually care about helping people.

Shair-afiyun

Villager
Only good time I seen alignment used was in a desert setting where alignment was suspended if you were suffering from thirst. That even the paladin got a free pass to go do amoral stuff if it meant survival in a harsh landscape.

Remove ads