D&D (2024) The rapier problem

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I will be costing myself damage output (the main contribution swashbucklers bring to a party) by going with a scimitar instead of a rapier.
I'm going to circle back to this.

The damage output being reduced is a single hit point on average with a maximum shift of 4 HP (on a crit rolling max number on both dice). This is insignificant. No combat is going to shift because you do 1 less HP of damage in two-thirds of rounds (because you hit about 2/3rd of times).

Also, the scimitar shouldn't be listed as a separate weapon. It should just be on a list somewhere that says the short sword represents one-handed blades such as the blah and blah

If Crits only rereroll weapon dice, Brutal and High Crit can be uses to add more dice to cirts:

Brutal: When you roll a 1 on a damage die for an attack you make with this weapon, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll, even if the new roll is a 1. In addition, If the attack is a critical hit, you can reroll a 1, 2, or 3 instead.

For Scimitar and khopesh

High Crit: When an attack is a Critical Hit with this Weapon or Unarmed Strike, you roll the damage dice of the Weapon or Unarmed Strike a third time time and add the third roll as extra damage to the target.

For War pick and War Scythe

Sharp: When an attack is a Critical Hit with this Weapon or Unarmed Strike, you roll all the damage dice of the attack a second time time and add the additional rolls as extra damage to the target.

For Fachion, War Axe, and Special daggers (katar, kukri, punching dagger aka super rogue daggers).
love this

... and then people complain that there is nothing to spend your gold on...
that's the thing at character creation and a session or 2 you need to spend gold and count silvers... after an adventure or two it doesn't matter.

so the price difference is "Gee that is expensive" or "Who cares I tip the guy a platinum for selling me it"

'Ugh, I really need 400gp for a breastplate, I will do anything for it... okay, got it, now I want for nothing ever again.'

Not that I like magic shops, but...
I played in a campaign were we had to scrounge for every copper... we started level 2 with basic equipment and played through level 9. By level 4 we saved enough to get the melee character the armor his class wanted, and by level 5 we had no care what we did with money... The DM got so pissed when we 'tipped' people with gold or when he had bandits jump us and we told them "Look, it's not worth us killing you, if we give you 15gp will you go away?"

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
4e's Brutal is too weak for 5e. Brutal 1 is just ~ +.5 damage per W for a 1d6.
However in 5e all attacks are 1W except for crits which are 2W. So I figured that make Crits Brutal 3 for +3 damage twice for +6 damage.
But that's alot and could lead to a lot of rerolls.. It works for 4e because 99.9% of the time, you only attack once.
So I figured, nerf the base buff the crit.

You lose a little on the base damage and gain a lot on te crit without bogging down play.
Oh I understand the logic, I just disagree with the first sentence and tbh the game already has enough “reroll take second” mechanics.

Remove ads