The Road to Discovery

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Discussing the Empire

Nalvis shrugged, "I don't really know what its like to have an emperor."
Yannif explains. "There is not really another title for a ruler in the Eastabin language. The term would be 'Konungur' in Norikadian. The Ming Dynasty has ruled the marshland from the Empire seat of Eastaboga for many generation. We have had peace within the villages and better trade as far out as the Rocky Shore, less hostilities with the indigenous uncivilized. I cannot understand why anyone would want to depose Emperor Tau. He was a fair minded and kind individual, as far as I know."

Kwargrow said:
Mekric nodded, "The purist leader repeated the same phrases over and over. One of them was a reference to ending geriatric leadership, and then putting a foreign concubine and his defiled seed out to sea. Possibly his pillow-mate, as you call it, became pregnant by the emperor and this is what caused Shon Yu and his followers to rebel. Whatever the reason, we find it abhorrent. Are there any other communities along the river that you know about?"

Yannif offers more tea as he refills his own bowl. "
This is interesting news you bring. Emperor Tau had a kindly Hebrian wife, but she was barren. I, of course, will not know all of the specifics, but the Emperor did have a child with his Spiofthest pillow mate. He and his wife accepted the boy as the heir and raised him to be such. He should be about your age, now. The word concubine is an insult, like saying sex slave. Pillow mate is more polite terminology.

Ironic you should ask of the other community along the river, for the only one you do not know is the Spiofthest village. As you know the Orngaddrin village, if you are returning to the Village of the Marsh from there, once you enter the main stream, travel upward to the west. The Spiofthest live at the junction of where the flow through the plains begins to climb back into the foothills.

With the establishment of the Empire so long ago, there was a Spiofthest delegation within Eastaboga. There was also an Orngaddrin delegation. If the Spiofthest within the city have been killed, I would wager that the Orngaddrin were as well. I suspect that these revolutionaries were hitting the mixed villages to bolster their courage for an outright battle, and lost to the Orngaddrin. Good riddance. Whoever this Shon Yu is, he cannot have the interest of the people in mind. He is after power and control
."
[sblock=Character Data]Nalvis: full health
Mekric: full health
harnin arrows: 20
Abrine: full health
Rekyavik: full health
Renyaveer: full health
harnin arrows: 23
Quill: full health
javelins: 5[/sblock]
[sblock=Group Inventory]Animals:
  • nothing at this time
Minerals:
  • Slate: 1 rock: (sound x2)
  • Flint: 1 rock: (heat x2)
  • Heartstone: 1 stones: {+ Confluence}
  • Coal: 1 lump: (Heat x3)
  • Lodestone: 1 stone: (Shock x3)
  • Slickstone: 1 stone: (-Heat x3)
  • Yellow rock (Sulfur): 1 lump: ?
  • bluish rock (Waterstone): 1 stone: ?
Ores:
  • Zinc: 1 ingot: {+ Health} (+Body x2)
  • Tin: 1 ingot: {+ Persona} (-Mind x2)
  • Lead: 1 ingots: (-Body x2)
  • Iron: 1 ingots: {+ Confluence} (+Body x2)
  • Copper: 1 ingot: {+ Persona} (Shock x2)
  • dark metal (Nickel): 1 ingot: ?
  • heavy metal (Manganese): 1 ingot: ?
  • yellowish metal (Molybdenum): 1 ingot: ?
  • dark metal (Palladium): 1 ingot: ?
Plants:
  • Muddle Leaves: 4 measures: (-Mind x2)
  • Rend Leaves: 1 measure: (-Body x2)
  • Muddle Flowers: 1 measure: (-Mind x3)
.[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Kwargrow

Explorer
Nalvis says, "Perhaps we will discover who this Shon Yu is in time, but for now it does not effect us. We will travel to this Spiofthest village to speak with their people after we visit the Orngaddrin again. We are glad to know you and your people, Yannif, and we will visit again, hopefully with some items you find valuable for trade."
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Back at the Orgaddrin Village

Nalvis says, "Perhaps we will discover who this Shon Yu is in time, but for now it does not effect us. We will travel to this Spiofthest village to speak with their people after we visit the Orngaddrin again. We are glad to know you and your people, Yannif, and we will visit again, hopefully with some items you find valuable for trade."
It takes 4 days to return, by river, to the Orngaddrin Village. The trip provides no direct confrontation with any hostilities. As with the previous river travel, the crew is able to harvest fish and varmints for food. Nalvis, Mekric, and Arbrine are becoming much more comfortable with operating the boat.

The boat must be beached and the approach to the southern gate of the Orngaddrin Village finished on foot. Recognizing the party, the sentry waves and calls greeting, inviting the River Crew to come through the open gate. The villagers seem pleasantly going about their daily lives.
[sblock=Character Data]Nalvis: full health
Mekric: full health
harnin arrows: 20
Abrine: full health
Rekyavik: full health
Renyaveer: full health
harnin arrows: 23
Quill: full health
javelins: 5[/sblock]
[sblock=Group Inventory]Animals:
  • nothing at this time
Minerals:
  • Slate: 1 rock: (sound x2)
  • Flint: 1 rock: (heat x2)
  • Heartstone: 1 stones: {+ Confluence}
  • Coal: 1 lump: (Heat x3)
  • Lodestone: 1 stone: (Shock x3)
  • Slickstone: 1 stone: (-Heat x3)
  • Yellow rock (Sulfur): 1 lump: ?
  • bluish rock (Waterstone): 1 stone: ?
Ores:
  • Zinc: 1 ingot: {+ Health} (+Body x2)
  • Tin: 1 ingot: {+ Persona} (-Mind x2)
  • Lead: 1 ingots: (-Body x2)
  • Iron: 1 ingots: {+ Confluence} (+Body x2)
  • Copper: 1 ingot: {+ Persona} (Shock x2)
  • dark metal (Nickel): 1 ingot: ?
  • heavy metal (Manganese): 1 ingot: ?
  • yellowish metal (Molybdenum): 1 ingot: ?
  • dark metal (Palladium): 1 ingot: ?
Plants:
  • Muddle Leaves: 4 measures: (-Mind x2)
  • Rend Leaves: 1 measure: (-Body x2)
  • Muddle Flowers: 1 measure: (-Mind x3)
.[/sblock]
 

Kwargrow

Explorer
The River Crew are friendly with the Orngaddrin, returning the wave of the sentry and warmly greeting the villagers they see. They are grateful to have so many friends after losing so much. They collect their orders from the craftsmen and finalize any trades.

Nalvis says to Marmeren, "We have met the Hebrians that lit the signal fire to alert you to the Eastabin soldiers. We found them to be friendly and reasonable people. The leader there, Yannif, told us of another village of the Spiofthest and we will visit them next. Are there any other places of interest along the rivers of this area? We are planning to explore and know more about this part of the world before we go investigate Eastaboga."

Mekric will visit with the catapultiers and investigate what other machines they have that could possibly be mounted to their boat, such as a ballista.

Arbrine explores around with Quill, meeting more of the Orngaddrin and cementing their friendships.
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
The Orngaddrin Village

The River Crew are friendly with the Orngaddrin, returning the wave of the sentry and warmly greeting the villagers they see. They are grateful to have so many friends after losing so much. They collect their orders from the craftsmen and finalize any trades.
Rekyavik collects his newly bladed harpoon and inspects its head and feels its balance. A wide grin spreads across his face. When Arbrine arrives for her gauntlets the smith speaks with her, in Eastabin. "I had a better idea after you left. My original idea would have been weaker and not specifically functional for ensuing combat, as I deem you are intending it. Instead of mounting the harnin plates to the gloves, I moulded rings to slide over your fingers, around the gloves. When close your fist, you will have a ridged plate across the striking surface."
OOC: Character records have been updated to reflect new equipment.


Kwargrow said:
Nalvis says to Marmeren, "We have met the Hebrians that lit the signal fire to alert you to the Eastabin soldiers. We found them to be friendly and reasonable people. The leader there, Yannif, told us of another village of the Spiofthest and we will visit them next. Are there any other places of interest along the rivers of this area? We are planning to explore and know more about this part of the world before we go investigate Eastaboga."
Marmeren replies, "Ah yes, those are good people over in the Heights. There is a highland trail that leads between our community to theirs, but it takes considerable time to travel. The people of the Marsh usually conduct trade with all of us, by river, since they are the avid sailors."

He pauses a moment, changing subjects. "None of us has actually been to the Spiofthest village, but we trade tools for meat with them, usually by way of the Marshland sailing vessels. I understand the Spiofthests to be a quiet and skittish people."

He rubs his pale, balding head in concentration of the proposed question. "As we lack the means and talent to explore the river ourselves, I can provide you little information on the subject. I have been told that downriver, into the flats of the marsh, itself, there are many switchbacks and oxbows and hidden pools all through the reeds. The villages we have previously discussed are the only ones that I know, and then there is Eastaboga. We used to have a working relationship with them, but I suspect that will no longer be possible, in light of recent events."

"Now upstream above us, where the river is no longer navigable, there are extensive nooks and fissures that hide a multitude of creatures, but nothing of civilized people, that I know."

Kwargrow said:
Mekric will visit with the catapultiers and investigate what other machines they have that could possibly be mounted to their boat, such as a ballista.
The catapulters are intrigued with Mekric's inquiry, though unable to provide any offering. "We have never considered the concept of a mechanism for firing an arrow or a spear. With the catapults, we are firing blind and arching the projectiles over an obstruction. Even a smaller version of this, we suspect would be useless when mounted to a floating vessel. The repercussion of the launch would shake the vessel uncontrollably. We will investigate the idea of a mechanism to launch something like an arrow. I am sure we can come up with something."

Kwargrow said:
Arbrine explores around with Quill, meeting more of the Orngaddrin and cementing their friendships.
Arbrine and Quill meet more of the villagers than any of the upfront fighters from the River Crew. The cooks and medics are interested in the girls' instinctual knowledge of various herbs and other plant parts, encouraging the two to collect extra of anything they come across in their travels.
[sblock=Character Data]Nalvis: full health
Mekric: full health
harnin arrows: 20
Abrine: full health
Rekyavik: full health
Renyaveer: full health
harnin arrows: 23
Quill: full health
javelins: 5[/sblock]
[sblock=Group Inventory]Animals:
  • nothing at this time
Minerals:
  • Slate: 1 rock: (sound x2)
  • Flint: 1 rock: (heat x2)
  • Heartstone: 1 stones: {+ Confluence}
  • Coal: 1 lump: (Heat x3)
  • Lodestone: 1 stone: (Shock x3)
  • Slickstone: 1 stone: (-Heat x3)
  • Yellow rock (Sulfur): 1 lump: ?
  • bluish rock (Waterstone): 1 stone: ?
Ores:
  • Zinc: 1 ingot: {+ Health} (+Body x2)
  • Tin: 1 ingot: {+ Persona} (-Mind x2)
  • Lead: 1 ingots: (-Body x2)
  • Iron: 1 ingots: {+ Confluence} (+Body x2)
  • Copper: 1 ingot: {+ Persona} (Shock x2)
  • dark metal (Nickel): 1 ingot: ?
  • heavy metal (Manganese): 1 ingot: ?
  • yellowish metal (Molybdenum): 1 ingot: ?
  • dark metal (Palladium): 1 ingot: ?
Plants:
  • Muddle Leaves: 4 measures: (-Mind x2)
  • Rend Leaves: 1 measure: (-Body x2)
  • Muddle Flowers: 1 measure: (-Mind x3)
.[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Kwargrow

Explorer
Nalvis says, "Thank you for the info."

Mekric says, "The concept is pretty simple. I am envisioning an over large bow mounted on some kind of stand that we can mount on the ship. I am thinking it would help us with hunting in the marshes where we can't really get out of the boat to pull in our prey. If we had a large mounted bow and tied a cord to the arrow, we could shoot the arrows into larger prey and pull it to our ship with the cord. It could also help us with defense in case something attacks us while we're sailing. I have found that while the ship if moving it is hard to maintain aim with a standard bow. If we had one mounted, it would allow greater accuracy and I don't think the recoil would affect the ship much."

Arbrine thanks him for the harnin knuckles and tries them out on various substances, wood, stone, to see how well they work.

After a lengthy visit the River Crew will move on to sail to the spiofthest village.
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Moving On

Mekric says, "The concept is pretty simple. I am envisioning an over large bow mounted on some kind of stand that we can mount on the ship. I am thinking it would help us with hunting in the marshes where we can't really get out of the boat to pull in our prey. If we had a large mounted bow and tied a cord to the arrow, we could shoot the arrows into larger prey and pull it to our ship with the cord. It could also help us with defense in case something attacks us while we're sailing. I have found that while the ship if moving it is hard to maintain aim with a standard bow. If we had one mounted, it would allow greater accuracy and I don't think the recoil would affect the ship much."
The catapult designers smile and give a polite laugh. "Yes. yes. That part is simple. The question remains as to drawing it. If the weapon can be drawn by hand, the projectile will be too small and the power too little to carry a line, and for that matter, attaching a line interferes with the trajectory. We need to determine a method for attaching a bow and a mechanism for firing it that is simple and does not interfere with the necessary movement of the crew about the boat. It will also need to be sufficiently large so as to fire a projectile large enough to carry a rope. We know that the Norikadians do this by hand with their harpoons when whaling or shark hunting. Can you image a bow sufficient to launch that weapon that Vik carries? We will work on this. We like the concept."
Kwargrow said:
Arbrine thanks him for the harnin knuckles and tries them out on various substances, wood, stone, to see how well they work.
Arbrine is pleasantly surprised at the impact her punch has on bare wood, imbedding the print of the 'knuckles' into where she strikes. Hitting stone is a different matter, all together. It is painful and painfully obvious that punching a hard surface with everything she can muster will eventually damage the knuckles and her hands. The design is very solid. Having no real reason to strike stone, she feels that bone would give even more easily than wood. She thinks to herself, ~People and creatures are made of bone and flesh.~
Kwargrow said:
After a lengthy visit the River Crew will move on to sail to the spiofthest village.
It takes eleven days of river travel to reach the Spiofthest Village from the Orngaddrin Village. The crew drifts downstream for five days, then sails back upstream along the most southern branch of the river for six days. Travel upstream is half the pace of that downstream.

The southern most branch of the Marshland River is flatter and wider than the other branches, though the flow is still definite, unlike down near the rivers mouth and the even flatter marsh, itself. The weather becomes slightly cooler over the course of the days and rain becomes more frequent. Fish and game are collected in sufficient quantities that the crew has no worries of food.

The southern edge of the river is muddier and edged with reeds, while the northern side is more rocky and shaded by brush and trees. Varmints and reptiles are collected more often from the flatter side of the river. Evidence of uncivilized people is occasionally evident on the steeper side. Nothing scarce or remotely exotic is encountered during the travel, but various game trails and paths are noted along the way.
[sblock=Character Data]Nalvis: full health
Mekric: full health
harnin arrows: 20
Abrine: full health
Rekyavik: full health
Renyaveer: full health
harnin arrows: 23
Quill: full health
javelins: 5[/sblock]
[sblock=Group Inventory]Animals:
  • nothing at this time
Minerals:
  • Slate: 1 rock: (sound x2)
  • Flint: 1 rock: (heat x2)
  • Heartstone: 1 stones: {+ Confluence}
  • Coal: 1 lump: (Heat x3)
  • Lodestone: 1 stone: (Shock x3)
  • Slickstone: 1 stone: (-Heat x3)
  • Yellow rock (Sulfur): 1 lump: ?
  • bluish rock (Waterstone): 1 stone: ?
Ores:
  • Zinc: 1 ingot: {+ Health} (+Body x2)
  • Tin: 1 ingot: {+ Persona} (-Mind x2)
  • Lead: 1 ingots: (-Body x2)
  • Iron: 1 ingots: {+ Confluence} (+Body x2)
  • Copper: 1 ingot: {+ Persona} (Shock x2)
  • dark metal (Nickel): 1 ingot: ?
  • heavy metal (Manganese): 1 ingot: ?
  • yellowish metal (Molybdenum): 1 ingot: ?
  • dark metal (Palladium): 1 ingot: ?
Plants:
  • Muddle Leaves: 4 measures: (-Mind x2)
  • Rend Leaves: 1 measure: (-Body x2)
  • Muddle Flowers: 1 measure: (-Mind x3)
.[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Kwargrow

Explorer
The River Crew debate on whether or not to explore the area, but decide that they want to meet the Spiofthest first, ask them about interesting places in the area, and then explore. That way if they get caught up in interesting circumstances they won't have to back track to meet the Spiofthest. They push on to the next village.
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
The Spiofthest Village

The first noticeable difference, as the River Crew sails into the new territory, is the sprawl with which the Spiofthests have made use of the greater open space. The village is on flatter land than the others, encountered. There are several wooden docks from which canoes and skiffs are tied. There are bow fishermen out on skiffs, scanning the shallows even as the crew eases passed.

The people wave and are generally friendly, but quickly go back to their current tasks. A man comes walking along the nearest dock and motions for the crew to head his direction and helps secure the vessel to the dock. As everyone disembarks, he speaks, "Eastabin? No Norikadian."

After the crew confirms that Eastabin is acceptable, he continues. "Welcome, I am Caladh. I am the dock master. I have not seen your crew before, but we are open to new trade, though I see you are not laden. If you are exploring the area, will shall not interfere as long as our people are treated peaceably. Come ashore. Have you any news to bring of your travels?"
[sblock=Character Data]Nalvis: full health
Mekric: full health
harnin arrows: 20
Abrine: full health
Rekyavik: full health
Renyaveer: full health
harnin arrows: 23
Quill: full health
javelins: 5[/sblock]
[sblock=Group Inventory]Animals:
  • nothing at this time
Minerals:
  • Slate: 1 rock: (sound x2)
  • Flint: 1 rock: (heat x2)
  • Heartstone: 1 stones: {+ Confluence}
  • Coal: 1 lump: (Heat x3)
  • Lodestone: 1 stone: (Shock x3)
  • Slickstone: 1 stone: (-Heat x3)
  • Yellow rock (Sulfur): 1 lump: ?
  • bluish rock (Waterstone): 1 stone: ?
Ores:
  • Zinc: 1 ingot: {+ Health} (+Body x2)
  • Tin: 1 ingot: {+ Persona} (-Mind x2)
  • Lead: 1 ingots: (-Body x2)
  • Iron: 1 ingots: {+ Confluence} (+Body x2)
  • Copper: 1 ingot: {+ Persona} (Shock x2)
  • dark metal (Nickel): 1 ingot: ?
  • heavy metal (Manganese): 1 ingot: ?
  • yellowish metal (Molybdenum): 1 ingot: ?
  • dark metal (Palladium): 1 ingot: ?
Plants:
  • Muddle Leaves: 4 measures: (-Mind x2)
  • Rend Leaves: 1 measure: (-Body x2)
  • Muddle Flowers: 1 measure: (-Mind x3)
.[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Kwargrow

Explorer
Nalvis says, "Well met, Caladh. You may call us the River Crew. We are exploring the area, but we also wanted to visit your village. We come from the eastern sea shore where personal tragedy brought us into this river system. Eastabin soldiers were travelling the area, killing anyone not Hebrian, and our own family and friends suffered under this brutality. We caught up to these soldiers at the Orngaddrin village and put an end to their villainy. There is a new ruler in Eastaboga, Shon Yu, who is promoting the idea that only Hebrians should be in this part of the world. Obviously this goes against what we believe in."

Mekric says, "We received this boat as part of the spoils of our victory, and we are exploring this river system to know more about the world around us. Do you know of any interesting places or other communities we could visit? We would also like to initiate trade if we come across any items your people need."

Arbrine does not engage with Caladh, but looks to Quill and whispers, "Want to do our thing and see what we can find on our own?"
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Within the Spiofthest Village

Road7.jpg
Nalvis says, "Well met, Caladh. You may call us the River Crew. We are exploring the area, but we also wanted to visit your village. We come from the eastern sea shore where personal tragedy brought us into this river system. Eastabin soldiers were travelling the area, killing anyone not Hebrian, and our own family and friends suffered under this brutality. We caught up to these soldiers at the Orngaddrin village and put an end to their villainy. There is a new ruler in Eastaboga, Shon Yu, who is promoting the idea that only Hebrians should be in this part of the world. Obviously this goes against what we believe in."
While Caladh considers these words, Vik adds to the conversation. "The six of us were brought together by this tragedy of proposed ethnic cleansing. Call me Vik. With Veera and Quill here, we three come from the Norikadian village on the Rocky Shore. Our village was completely destroyed by Eastabin soldiers, save for we three. We met our new friends here seeing they had suffered the same fate as we.

It appears that the soldiers were working their way inland from the coast. They even killed some of their own at the Marshland Village. With the end of those soldiers at the Orngaddrin Village, we are hoping to re-establish the trade routes. We can readily sail between here and the other villages as the carrier
."
Caladh pumps his hands as if to indicate that it is too much to process at once. "Wait! The Emperor was deposed? This is terrible news."

Kwargrow said:
Mekric says, "We received this boat as part of the spoils of our victory, and we are exploring this river system to know more about the world around us. Do you know of any interesting places or other communities we could visit? We would also like to initiate trade if we come across any items your people need."
Caladh seems lost in thought. "Yes. I mean, no. I am not the best for that information. You should speak with Sealghair, but first you should go to the meeting hall and speak with the clan elders. Come. I will lead you."
Kwargrow said:
Arbrine does not engage with Caladh, but looks to Quill and whispers, "Want to do our thing and see what we can find on our own?"
Quill discretely nods and the two girls seem to amble away out of curiosity, readily forgotten by Caladh, as the other four members of the River Crew head to speak to the clan elders.

The meeting hall is apparently a large covered patio. When the four crew members follow Caladh up the steps, he sounds a stone chime. The two Spiofthests seated at the center of the patio rise and nod toward Caladh and gesture for the River Crew to join them.

Caladh states, "They have dire news of the marshland which you all should hear."
[sblock=Character Data]Nalvis: full health
Mekric: full health
harnin arrows: 20
Abrine: full health
Rekyavik: full health
Renyaveer: full health
harnin arrows: 23
Quill: full health
javelins: 5[/sblock]
[sblock=Group Inventory]Animals:
  • nothing at this time
Minerals:
  • Slate: 1 rock: (sound x2)
  • Flint: 1 rock: (heat x2)
  • Heartstone: 1 stones: {+ Confluence}
  • Coal: 1 lump: (Heat x3)
  • Lodestone: 1 stone: (Shock x3)
  • Slickstone: 1 stone: (-Heat x3)
  • Yellow rock (Sulfur): 1 lump: ?
  • bluish rock (Waterstone): 1 stone: ?
Ores:
  • Zinc: 1 ingot: {+ Health} (+Body x2)
  • Tin: 1 ingot: {+ Persona} (-Mind x2)
  • Lead: 1 ingots: (-Body x2)
  • Iron: 1 ingots: {+ Confluence} (+Body x2)
  • Copper: 1 ingot: {+ Persona} (Shock x2)
  • dark metal (Nickel): 1 ingot: ?
  • heavy metal (Manganese): 1 ingot: ?
  • yellowish metal (Molybdenum): 1 ingot: ?
  • dark metal (Palladium): 1 ingot: ?
Plants:
  • Muddle Leaves: 4 measures: (-Mind x2)
  • Rend Leaves: 1 measure: (-Body x2)
  • Muddle Flowers: 1 measure: (-Mind x3)
.[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Kwargrow

Explorer
Nalvis smiles and waves to the clan elders before he sits with Mekric, Vik, and Veera, and says, "As I told Caladh, some Eastabin soldiers have been stomping around this area killing anyone that is either not Hebrian or tries to stop them. We, along with the Orngaddrin, put an end to this attack at their nearby village, but there may be more attacks. We learned from these soldiers that Eastaboga has a new ruler, Shon Yu, and they are engaging in what they call ethnic cleansing. We are going to be exploring this area, and any information you have will help us. Also, we would like to trade with you if we come across items in our travels that you could use."

Mekric adds, "If you are interested in the fate of the Spiofthest pillow mate of the former emperor and their child, apparently they were banished out to sea. We only have second hand information to their fate, but I do not think it bodes well for their survival."

Arbrine does not try to hide or sneak around. She goes openly with Quill and engages in friendly banter with whomever will speak with them.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
The Spoifthest Elders

The elderly couple reseated themselves in wooden chairs and gesture for the River Crew to join them. It appears that the Spiofthest people are much more informal in their dealing than the Hebrian and less structured than the Orngaddrin. The two are thin and somewhat frail looking, though there simple movements are still graceful and they sit and rise without difficulty. Four others join them shortly and take seats, as well.

The first two seem at least old enough to be four times the crew's average age, the second four about three times. They all have creamy pale skin and wispy blond hair, as is typical of Spiofthest. They are dressed in simple clothing made from various skins, rather than the fabric worn by the Hebrians. They also favor considerable adornment. When they speak, their voices are much quieter than the Orngaddrin and much less matter of fact than the Hebrians. They all greet the crew in a warm and friendly matter but forget or neglect to introduce themselves.

Nalvis smiles and waves to the clan elders before he sits with Mekric, Vik, and Veera, and says, "As I told Caladh, some Eastabin soldiers have been stomping around this area killing anyone that is either not Hebrian or tries to stop them. We, along with the Orngaddrin, put an end to this attack at their nearby village, but there may be more attacks. We learned from these soldiers that Eastaboga has a new ruler, Shon Yu, and they are engaging in what they call ethnic cleansing. We are going to be exploring this area, and any information you have will help us. Also, we would like to trade with you if we come across items in our travels that you could use."
Kaeliegh, the eldest female, responds in Eastabin. "Trade is not all that frequent, so we had no idea that this tragedy was transpiring. Years ago, we sent a delegation to Eastaboga to further our relationship with Tau Ming. That delegation consisted of 4 members, one of whom developed a personal relationship and even bore Tau a child. This was almost 20 years ago."

Kwargrow said:
Mekric adds, "If you are interested in the fate of the Spiofthest pillow mate of the former emperor and their child, apparently they were banished out to sea. We only have second hand information to their fate, but I do not think it bodes well for their survival."
The elders are aghast at the news. One of the younger men, Lasean, exclaims, "Out to sea!? This is a coup. There must have been a terrible shift in power. It seems the victor is eradicating any possible claim to legitimacy."

His partner, Braetonia, adds her own comment. "I fear the news you bring is indicative of revolution. If this includes some ridiculous concept of tribal purity, we are dealing with radicals, people motivated by feelings not thoughts."

Kaeliegh adds, "Oh dear, that means negotiation is not possible. This is very remarkable. The Hebrian people are normally very structured and formal. As a whole they are mostly guided by logic. What a mighty power this Shon Yu must be to alter the predisposition of an entire people."

Kwargrow said:
Arbrine does not try to hide or sneak around. She goes openly with Quill and engages in friendly banter with whomever will speak with them.
Many of the adult residents seem lost in their own thoughts, only those in direct path with the two girls pay them any attention. Children on the other hand are much more curious. Some of whom engage and talk rapidly with the two exotic intruders, even after it is obvious that Arbrine and Quill cannot understand Spiofthest. As a whole the people seem more preoccupied than indifferent. All interaction is friendly, especially with ones who can speak Eastabin.

While the Spiofthest people regularly conduct expeditions on the water with their skiffs, they seem much more suited to hunting, which is evident by the prevalence of skins for attire. The two also note that many of the villagers are adorned with the feathers and claws of various animals. At one point a group of children runs by, playing, passing so close so as to actually brush up against the two in passing. As this happens the ultra-fine hairs on the girls' arms stand on end and both come to the same realization at the same time. One of those children can manipulate Way. This is the first encounter with the talent in any of the villages visited.
[sblock=Character Data]Nalvis: full health
Mekric: full health
harnin arrows: 20
Abrine: full health
Rekyavik: full health
Renyaveer: full health
harnin arrows: 23
Quill: full health
javelins: 5[/sblock]
[sblock=Group Inventory]Animals:
  • nothing at this time
Minerals:
  • Slate: 1 rock: (sound x2)
  • Flint: 1 rock: (heat x2)
  • Heartstone: 1 stones: {+ Confluence}
  • Coal: 1 lump: (Heat x3)
  • Lodestone: 1 stone: (Shock x3)
  • Slickstone: 1 stone: (-Heat x3)
  • Yellow rock (Sulfur): 1 lump: ?
  • bluish rock (Waterstone): 1 stone: ?
Ores:
  • Zinc: 1 ingot: {+ Health} (+Body x2)
  • Tin: 1 ingot: {+ Persona} (-Mind x2)
  • Lead: 1 ingots: (-Body x2)
  • Iron: 1 ingots: {+ Confluence} (+Body x2)
  • Copper: 1 ingot: {+ Persona} (Shock x2)
  • dark metal (Nickel): 1 ingot: ?
  • heavy metal (Manganese): 1 ingot: ?
  • yellowish metal (Molybdenum): 1 ingot: ?
  • dark metal (Palladium): 1 ingot: ?
Plants:
  • Muddle Leaves: 4 measures: (-Mind x2)
  • Rend Leaves: 1 measure: (-Body x2)
  • Muddle Flowers: 1 measure: (-Mind x3)
.[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Kwargrow

Explorer
Nalvis shrugs and says, "We have never been to Eastaboga. We only know these things from the soldiers that brought this supposed ethnic cleansing. We tried to reason with them, but their leader would only repeat the same phrases over and over. He seemed very affirmed in his hatred of other people, and we felt it best to take his life to prevent him from harming any others."

Mekric says, "More than just bringing this news, we have decided to stay in this area and explore this river system. Any information you have of interesting places in this area would help us. We have made a home for ourselves in the marshland village, but I do not think we will be there often."

Arbrine gets a mischievous look on her face and invites the children to play a game with her and Quill. She will use this proximity to try and determine which child has the gift without singling them out.
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Speaking with the Spiofthests

Nalvis shrugs and says, "We have never been to Eastaboga. We only know these things from the soldiers that brought this supposed ethnic cleansing. We tried to reason with them, but their leader would only repeat the same phrases over and over. He seemed very affirmed in his hatred of other people, and we felt it best to take his life to prevent him from harming any others."
The elders consider these words but make little comment. They seem grateful for the information and move to adjourn the meeting.

Kwargrow said:
Mekric says, "More than just bringing this news, we have decided to stay in this area and explore this river system. Any information you have of interesting places in this area would help us. We have made a home for ourselves in the marshland village, but I do not think we will be there often."
The mate of Kaeliegh, who is called Kaeltonn, turns at the new querry from Mekric. "Now this is something I can discuss. I did quite a bit of traveling in my youth. The branch of the river that heads into the hills to the north of us is not readily navigable, especially by sail. It makes sharp turns and the high walls block the wind. The channel is also quite deep in places and we cannot pole our skiffs. We developed a system of weighted pulling. We throw a heavy rock, tied to a line, forward then slowly pull the boat along after it. With the anchor still in place, we would launch a second before retrieving the first, like a child's game of leap frog, if you are familiar.

I never fully explored the mysteries of that branch, but I did find some hidden cuts and moorings to go ashore. Plenty of fish on that branch, too. To the south of us, that branch makes a sharp bend as it comes out of the mountains, which brings it here. During the rains, the river often overflows the bend and washed out into the plains. There are several oxbows out there that provide good fish and birding, but you have to be wary of the often hostile peoples of the plains.

That branch is not navigable at all for it topples over a series of falls, but it can be followed on foot. Some of the falls are quite steep. I have seen large goats and other animals up there, even a bear once, but no one ever believed on the bear because I said it was white
."

Kwargrow said:
Arbrine gets a mischievous look on her face and invites the children to play a game with her and Quill. She will use this proximity to try and determine which child has the gift without singling them out.
GM: All children of every tribe love to play sporting games and, though the names vary, the biggest games are chase and hide-and-seek. The small children readily agree to let the "big" girls play. After some time, the two are able to isolate that it is a small boy with the rare talent. He is, obviously, not yet aware that he is using any talent not available to the other children.

[sblock=Character Data]Nalvis: full health
Mekric: full health
harnin arrows: 20
Abrine: full health
Rekyavik: full health
Renyaveer: full health
harnin arrows: 23
Quill: full health
javelins: 5[/sblock]
[sblock=Group Inventory]Animals:
  • nothing at this time
Minerals:
  • Slate: 1 rock: (sound x2)
  • Flint: 1 rock: (heat x2)
  • Heartstone: 1 stones: {+ Confluence}
  • Coal: 1 lump: (Heat x3)
  • Lodestone: 1 stone: (Shock x3)
  • Slickstone: 1 stone: (-Heat x3)
  • Yellow rock (Sulfur): 1 lump: ?
  • bluish rock (Waterstone): 1 stone: ?
Ores:
  • Zinc: 1 ingot: {+ Health} (+Body x2)
  • Tin: 1 ingot: {+ Persona} (-Mind x2)
  • Lead: 1 ingots: (-Body x2)
  • Iron: 1 ingots: {+ Confluence} (+Body x2)
  • Copper: 1 ingot: {+ Persona} (Shock x2)
  • dark metal (Nickel): 1 ingot: ?
  • heavy metal (Manganese): 1 ingot: ?
  • yellowish metal (Molybdenum): 1 ingot: ?
  • dark metal (Palladium): 1 ingot: ?
Plants:
  • Muddle Leaves: 4 measures: (-Mind x2)
  • Rend Leaves: 1 measure: (-Body x2)
  • Muddle Flowers: 1 measure: (-Mind x3)
.[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Kwargrow

Explorer
The River Crew will stay the night, say goodbye to their new friends in the morning and head out back on the river. After a discussion, and knowing they don't have long enough rope to do the 'leapfrog' trick, they decide to go south and look for something interesting.
 
Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Farther South

The River Crew will stay the night, say goodbye to their new friends in the morning and head out back on the river. After a discussion, and knowing they don't have long enough rope to do the 'leapfrog' trick, they decide to go south and look for something interesting.
The River Crew follows the southern most branch of the Marshland River upstream. It takes a day of sailing before the sharp bend is reached. Standing in the boat, the crew can see over the marshland to the east where depressions free of the tall grasses indicate the presence of an oxbow lake. many different birds periodically take wing over the reeds, only to land again in a short distance.

Another day northward brings the crew to the first of the run of falls. There is a place to beach the boat on the southern shore. The falls are an intriguingly beautiful sight, with colorful rack mixtures and foliage along the banks. The birds, frogs, and insects of the area are quite noisome.

falls.jpg
OOC: Encounters: Perception + Konokoro + d100 / day
Nalvis: 16 + 13 = 29: 70, 35
Mekric: 22 + 18 = 40: 59, 77
Arbrine: 15 + 20 = 35: 37, 106
Rekyavik: 14 + 16 = 30: 32, 41
Renyaveer: 24 + 15 = 39: 85, 204
Quill: 16 + 22 = 38: 204, 67

GM: One the first day of sailing, the only thing to catch the attention of Nalvis are some fascinating webs spun along the riverbank by some industrious orb weavers. The second day, up the northern bank, he thinks he sees some reddish skinned people moving along the heights. On the first day, Mekric sees some large beetles feeding on the bloated carcass of a fish, a short distance off into the reeds. The second day, she agrees with Nalvis, thinking she saw the movement as well. Arbrine seems to have become enthralled with the webs of orb weavers and does not perceive anything else.

One the first day, Rekyavik, too, is fascinated with the work of the orb weavers. The second day he spots a rabbit that can be taken for food. The first day, Renyaveer sees a small covey of calling birds congregated in a single tree up along the western bank. When pointing them out to the group she asks to adjust the sail to go investigate.

liarbird.jpg

GM: When seeing the approach of people, the strange birds all face them, stand as if at attention on a limb, and call toward them. The birds sound like they are saying "go away." All the crew pause momentarily and then return to the boat and sail away.

The second day, Renyaveer agrees with Nalvis and Mekric, thinking that there are people in the hills up along the northern shore. The first day of sailing, Quill thinks she spots some people off in the tall reeds of the marsh, but no one else can confirm the sighting. The second day, during a lunch break ashore, Quill tells the others that she thinks she has found the kill site of some hunting spiders.

[sblock=Character Data]Nalvis: full health
Mekric: full health
harnin arrows: 20
Abrine: full health
Rekyavik: full health
Renyaveer: full health
harnin arrows: 23
Quill: full health
javelins: 5[/sblock]
[sblock=Group Inventory]Animals:
  • nothing at this time
Minerals:
  • Slate: 1 rock: (sound x2)
  • Flint: 1 rock: (heat x2)
  • Heartstone: 1 stones: {+ Confluence}
  • Coal: 1 lump: (Heat x3)
  • Lodestone: 1 stone: (Shock x3)
  • Slickstone: 1 stone: (-Heat x3)
  • Yellow rock (Sulfur): 1 lump: ?
  • bluish rock (Waterstone): 1 stone: ?
Ores:
  • Zinc: 1 ingot: {+ Health} (+Body x2)
  • Tin: 1 ingot: {+ Persona} (-Mind x2)
  • Lead: 1 ingots: (-Body x2)
  • Iron: 1 ingots: {+ Confluence} (+Body x2)
  • Copper: 1 ingot: {+ Persona} (Shock x2)
  • dark metal (Nickel): 1 ingot: ?
  • heavy metal (Manganese): 1 ingot: ?
  • yellowish metal (Molybdenum): 1 ingot: ?
  • dark metal (Palladium): 1 ingot: ?
Plants:
  • Muddle Leaves: 4 measures: (-Mind x2)
  • Rend Leaves: 1 measure: (-Body x2)
  • Muddle Flowers: 1 measure: (-Mind x3)
.[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Kwargrow

Explorer
The River Crew discuss their options and decide to look for the people they saw in the hills. They decide to leave their boat where they can easily find it and head out on foot, trusting their skills to deal with any threats.

Nalvis says, "It will be fun to meet new people and learn about them. Perhaps we can include them in the river trade system."

Mekric adds, "We should be sure to progress slowly enough so that they don't feel threatened."

Arbrine says, "Whatever we do, they might threaten us anyway. We should also be prepared for a fight."
 
Last edited by a moderator:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Investigating the Sighting

The River Crew discuss their options and decide to look for the people they saw in the hills. They decide to leave their boat where they can easily find it and head out on foot, trusting their skills to deal with any threats.

Nalvis says, "It will be fun to meet new people and learn about them. Perhaps we can include them in the river trade system."
Vik adds, "The Spiofthest fellow did not mention any other people in the area. I wonder who these might be."

Kwargrow said:
Mekric adds, "We should be sure to progress slowly enough so that they don't feel threatened."
Veera says, "Good idea."

Kwargrow said:
Arbrine says, "Whatever we do, they might threaten us anyway. We should also be prepared for a fight."
At Abrine's wise offer, Veera knocks an arrow to her bow, though she keeps the weapon at her side.

The crew moors their boat and ties the leader to a tree to secure it from drifting back out. As everyone disembarks, Veera comments. "This is really much more boat than we need and it pulls too much draft. I was thinking. Maybe when we are back at the Marshland Village we can trade it for a reed canoe and add double outriggers to carry trade supplies. Just a thought for later. I know. Right now we need to see if we can find those people."

The foliage is fairly thick at the river's edge but thins some with the quick rise in elevation. The crew finds that game trails are available to make ingress easier, but the moss covered rocks can still be slick to transverse. The air is thick with humidity from the increasing frequency in the rains, but with the coming cool, more than bearable, even comfortable.
OOC: Spacial Awareness: Perception + Konokoro + d100
Stealth: effectiveness + d100
Nalvis: 16 + 13 + 50 = 79, 18 + 50 = 68
Mekric: 22 + 18 + 50 = 90, 19 + 50 = 69
Arbrine: 15 + 20 + 50 = 85, 18 + 50 = 68
Rekyavik: 14 + 16 + 50 = 80, 18 + 50 = 68
Renyaveer: 24 + 15 + 50 = 89, 22 + 50 = 72
Quill: 16 + 22 + 50 = 88, 17 + 50 = 67
Them: 26 + 18 + 35 = 74, 30 + 73 = 103


Uncommon Encounters

Whoever these people are, they seem to have well hidden themselves, for no one sees or hears anything after leaving the river's edge. Reaching the place where the three originally thought they saw someone, Mekric sees the print of a bare foot than can only belong to a person. The print looks similar to one that Nalvis might leave were he barefoot. While examining the print, the crew is subjected to a barrage of thrown rocks.
OOC: Projectile Assault: Launch + Precision + Clarity + d100
Them: 32 + 24 + 18 + 77 = 151

Projectile Defense: Preservation + Konokoro + d100
Nalvis: 16 + 13 + 82 = 121
Damage: 151 - 121 = 30% * 3 = 1
Mind: 10 - 1 = 9, dazed
Mekric: 22 + 18 + 99 + 35 > 151
Rekyavik: 14 + 16 + 47 = 77
Damage: 151 - 77 = 74% * 3 = 2
Mind: 10 - 2 = 8, dazed
Renyaveer: 24 + 15 + 46 = 85
Damage: 151 - 85 = 66% * 3 = 2
Mind: 10 - 2 = 8, dazed

GM: Being a bit more perceptive and better at concealment than the River Crew, the Medderin launch rocks at them from their hidden positions, strategically placed on either side of the crew's current position. There are apparently four of them as four rocks were launched beaning Nalvis, Rekyavik, and Renyaveer, being more obvious targets than Arbrine and Quill. The rock aimed at Mekric, misses, with a bit of luck on her part.

[sblock=Character Data]Nalvis: full health
Mekric: full health
harnin arrows: 20
Abrine: full health
Rekyavik: full health
Renyaveer: full health
harnin arrows: 23
Quill: full health
javelins: 5[/sblock]
[sblock=Group Inventory]Animals:
  • nothing at this time
Minerals:
  • Slate: 1 rock: (sound x2)
  • Flint: 1 rock: (heat x2)
  • Heartstone: 1 stones: {+ Confluence}
  • Coal: 1 lump: (Heat x3)
  • Lodestone: 1 stone: (Shock x3)
  • Slickstone: 1 stone: (-Heat x3)
  • Yellow rock (Sulfur): 1 lump: ?
  • bluish rock (Waterstone): 1 stone: ?
Ores:
  • Zinc: 1 ingot: {+ Health} (+Body x2)
  • Tin: 1 ingot: {+ Persona} (-Mind x2)
  • Lead: 1 ingots: (-Body x2)
  • Iron: 1 ingots: {+ Confluence} (+Body x2)
  • Copper: 1 ingot: {+ Persona} (Shock x2)
  • dark metal (Nickel): 1 ingot: ?
  • heavy metal (Manganese): 1 ingot: ?
  • yellowish metal (Molybdenum): 1 ingot: ?
  • dark metal (Palladium): 1 ingot: ?
Plants:
  • Muddle Leaves: 4 measures: (-Mind x2)
  • Rend Leaves: 1 measure: (-Body x2)
  • Muddle Flowers: 1 measure: (-Mind x3)
.[/sblock]
OOC: In addition to stated actions, I will need rolls for reaction. The same roll may be used for both or a separate roll can be made for reaction and action.
 
Last edited:

Kwargrow

Explorer
Nalvis brandishes his axe and says, "Hostile it is." He will charge the Medderin that threw the rock at him.
OOC: Reaction: 38, Action: 43


Mekric curses and draws back her bow to shoot at her best target.
OOC: Reaction: 34, Action: 96, 32


Arbrine feels her temper spike at this unprovoked attack. She will charge her best target, eager to use her new harnin knuckles and use Way to burn her opponent with fire when she strikes.
OOC: Reaction: 86, Action: 09
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Advertisement

Top