The Romance of the River Kingdoms

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Mystal takes the chest, cuts the man down and calls the group inside:
"Come quickly! I need a healer here! NOW!"

After he shouts he realizes they might get it wrong way and adds:
"I'm fine! There is a torture victim here. It's safe!"

Dr Simon

Explorer
OOC: Just to clarify timings, Mystal's explorations take long enough that Annika has returned to the square by the time the salsham'ai calls out.

Walking Dad

First Post
AC 15 (T15, FF13), HP 12/39, F +5,R+3,W+6 (Spells: 0:2/5, 1:2/4, 2:2/3)
Ape Form (AC: 17, Touch: 17, Flat Footed: 13)

Ape looks around who the healer could be that Mystal called. Finally he shrugs and follows the voice, even with only minor healing magic at his disposal.

[sblock=ooc]

--------
Spells (CL: 3, DC: 13+spell level)
5/Day Level 0: Cure Minor Wounds, Detect Magic, Light, Purify Food and Drink, Read Magic
4/Day Level 1: Produce Lightning, Shillelagh, Summon Nature's Ally I.
3/Day Level 2: Summon Nature's Ally II

Baboon Traits:
AC: 17, Touch: 17, Flat Footed: 13
Fort: +6
Refl: +5
Will: +6
Move: 40', cimb 40'
Init: +4
Listen/Spot: +9
[/sblock]

Dr Simon

Explorer
Three Flowers removes his helmet and looks ruefully as the creases cruched into it by the headhanger's claws. "I can heal, a little," he adds.

Inside the Old Tamsa Building, the group finds a mess of trash, and Mystal untying the torture victim that he spoke of from a cross-frame. Three Flowers, Growling Ape and Annika recognise the man, although his face is livid with bruises and contusions. He was at the Vashti's funeral, a man calling himself "Dirt" he was one of the original beneficiaries of the Vashti's bequest and, although he accompanied them to the old temple he did not venture below ground and had gone when they returned with the statue that they went to seek. To Mystal and Shakou he is just another nekuuese human, with wiry musculature that suggests a warrior or a manual worker.

He is unconscious, but alive.

Neurotic

"Let's go. We need to report this to Vashti and to recover a bit from the combat. Can anyone of you casters see if any of this is another talisman? I'll find something to carry this guy out of here."

Mystal leaves wounded man to others and goes outside to garner things needed for a stretcher and find men willing to carry him. He goes to old vengeful lady first:

"Honorable elder, would you know who would be inclined to help us carry a man to the city center? Also, if you know if there are other hideouts of this band so we can finish the job that would be most helpful. Here is little something to help you recover from this ordeal. Sorry I cannot offer you more at this time."

Unsaid remains "and find volonteers for carrying."

Mystal gives the lady 90 yen, essentially emptying the purse at his belt.

OOC: that leaves him with measly 1700yen in backpack :)

OOC: DrSimon, would buckler count as shield for purposes of disabling swordsage armor bonus? I mean, it leaves the hand free and doesn't interferre with normal arm use. If it does, I'd use that spider face as armor enhancement (maybe like crystal from Magic Item Compendium?)

Dr Simon

Explorer
The old lady is grateful for the money, but more grateful that you have freed her son and his wife from their imprisonment as undead and headhanger adornments - now they can have a proper funeral. She and other residents are happy to help you back to the Narvinda. A further search of the Old Tamsa Building reveals a few vials of a pale blue liquid, and one magical token that radiates faint necromantic magic.

Battered and weary, you return to the Narvinda Manrupashnar, where the Vashti greets you warmly (with an unexpected hug), and Sister Herbailst grumbles over your injuries. Tea and date cake are bought out whilst you discuss recent events. The man you rescued,who calls himself Dirt, joins you, despite unpleasant looking injuries.

"I failed you," he says. "At the temple, I felt that it was a waste of time. The Old Vashti's legacy was a game. Talking wolves, lost statues. These did nothing to help people like she taught. So I left. I heard of the gang in Shading Willow Court, thought I could deal with them, help people. I was wrong." The Vashti puts a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"I'll tell what I know," Dirt continues. "The gang was led by a walking dead spirit called Mozin. You can tell him, his head is smashed in yet he still lives. He gave the others drugs. Black yaama, and this one," he indicates the blue vials. "They call it delerium, made them excitable. That's when they would go out and capture people. Anyone who didn't pay them, they gave to the headhanger, then turned the body into walking dead. Mozin had some magic items that he used for this. If one of the gang was killed, he bought them back too. I think he got the drugs and the talismans from somewhere else, I heard him talk of a 'Master'. I think there was a larger plan, to bring chaos to Cormondal."

"You haven't failed at all, Master Dirt," says the Vashti kindly. She turns to Growling Ape. "I think we know where that missing body went to. This is very worrying, if it's just part of some wider plot. I think the authorities need to know, which reminds me..." She produces an elegantly written scroll from within the folds of her robes. "Magister Ten has set a date for our little dinner date, three days from now on the eve of the Laburnum Festival. This might be a good time to bring up this little problem."

"I also have some news regarding the Jade Elixir," she continues, pouring some more tea. "One of the sisters found a reference to a temple to the Monkey God. In Jaxius Zem of all places! It's all the way up in Nirhamsa, I'm afraid, but Zem mentions that the priest claims not only is it the largest temple to the Monkey King in the Empire (as was), but also that it contains all the important relics associated with Monkey King myths, including the last drop of Jade Elixir." She smiles. "Highly unlikely, of course, but it's a lead."

[sblock=ooc]
Jaxius Zem is a well known writer from the last days of the Empire of Splendour who travelled exntensively and recorded his observations in a famously patronising and arrogant style.

Nirhamsa is upriver along the Anhoi River, a stable former-Imperial province known for forested hills and ancient ruins. You can get an idea of the location here. Cormondal is near the swampy-looking area just south of Ashoyin.

@Neurotic: I've done a bit of research and everything suggests that a buckler would count as a shield as regards negating the bonus. Also, Swordsages have no shield proficiency. It could be worked into armour instead, though. There's an item in Oriental Adventures that might work, I'll look it up.

Edit again: The chahar-aina (four-mirror-armour), can be worn over padded, leather or chain shirt, requires Medium armour proficiency, provides +1 armour bonus, -1 ACP, 5% spell failure, weighs 10lb (although darkwood effects apply to those stats for the demon face). The one pictured even has a demonic face.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
AC 15 (T15, FF13), HP 12/39, F +5,R+3,W+6 (Spells: 0:2/5, 1:2/4, 2:2/3)
Ape Form (AC: 17, Touch: 17, Flat Footed: 13)

"The failures of the past haunt our future. Friends, these undead and the Master seem of greater urgency than the elixir. Will you help me to cleanse my past?" Ape looks at the others, his voice pleading.

[sblock=ooc]
Are we healed back? What about spells?

Will update below data after answer.

BTW: Nice WE, I don't know if I can post before Monday.

--------
Spells (CL: 3, DC: 13+spell level)
5/Day Level 0: Cure Minor Wounds, Detect Magic, Light, Purify Food and Drink, Read Magic
4/Day Level 1: Produce Lightning, Shillelagh, Summon Nature's Ally I.
3/Day Level 2: Summon Nature's Ally II

Baboon Traits:
AC: 17, Touch: 17, Flat Footed: 13
Fort: +6
Refl: +5
Will: +6
Move: 40', cimb 40'
Init: +4
Listen/Spot: +9
[/sblock]

Dr Simon

Explorer
OOC: Healing etc., no, not yet as it's still the same day as the fighting in the square. You can get some healing if you want to chase after the remnants of the gang now, or you can wait until tomorrow and tackle them fresh, if you can find them.

Neurotic

"I don't think we can afford another fireball like that one on the square. They might get another monster from netherworld, but it made little difference and I doubt they will reorganize quickly enough. We have two locations and can have them under surveilance while we recuperate. I think Annika said she's without spells and regardless of our health, she won't recover them without some sleep.

I can go and scout around if you agree to wait for a bit. Shakou, will you come too? Annika, I'll need exact locations or you can lead me in your bird form?"

OOC: eternal problem with half-an-hour adventuring day esp. at low levels where casters burn through their spells in first combat :)

Shayuri

First Post
Annika glances at Mystal and nods, though she seems distracted.

"I can take you to the places they ran to."

I don't think we can afford another fireball like that one on the square. Annika wasn't so sure. There had been pain, yes, burning...but now in the aftermath she felt it had kindled something within her. A slow burn that was inside instead of out. As if the flames of that spell had burned away chaff, and allowed embers inside her to finally have enough air to come alight.

"We should be careful though. If they know we saw them go there, they'll move again."

Remove ads