The Romance of the River Kingdoms

Dr Simon

Explorer
The next day dawns clear over Cormondal. Two days to go before the Laburnum Festival, and across the town everyone is getting ready for the celebration of the arrival of summer. Garlands of yellow flowers are being made and hung from the eaves and corner posts of houses and sense of anticipation hangs over the city.

In the narvinda, the acolytes are busy preparing to feed the poor and needy, a charity they perform on all of the festival days. Amongst those who fought in Shading Willow Court, wounds are healed and magic restored.

The Vashti showed Brother Gold two girls, apparently twin sisters once left to die in the wilderness as babies but found again living amongst giant spiders. They are both feral and animal-like, and one is evidently twisted by magic to a fearsome creature with fangs and claws. The Vashti and her acolytes are currently trying to rehabilitate. "Anything you have to offer, Brother Gold, would be most welcome."

Mystal and Shakou, realtively unscathed in the fight against the Paper Lantern Gang, track down the last known locations of four of the six gang members who escaped - an old ruined house and an abandoned shop. A cursory examination shows both locations are empty. If the gang members went inside, they must have left again by the time the two scouts arrive.

And so, once again the group meets over breakfast with the Vashti. Three Flowers is still recuperating from his wounds. Brother Gold makes up the missing place.

"So, my friends," says the Vashti. "What are your next actions? I was wondering if Brother Gold would care to join you, and if you will take him into your number? Like Growling Ape and Mystal, I feel, perhaps, that the loose end of this Paper Lantern Gang needs tying up one way or another."

[sblock=ooc]
A cursory glance means looking in from outside. A full internal exploration of either location is yet to be done.

I may NPC Shakou for a while, but I haven't seen Theroc around for a bit. Otherwise 4 PCs is fine.
[/sblock]

Walking Dad

First Post
AC 15 (T15, FF13), HP 43/43, F +6,R+3,W+7 (Spells: 0:6/6, 1:5/5, 2:4/4)
Ape Form (AC: 18, Touch: 18, Flat Footed: 14)

"Yes, I feel that I have personal ties to the problem. We should solve the situation." Ape says to the others.

[sblock=ooc]
Ape used magic to heal himself before praying for new ones in the morning.

--------
Spells (CL: 4, DC: 13+spell level)
6/Day Level 0: Cure Minor Wounds, Detect Magic, Guidance, Light, Purify Food and Drink, Read Magic
5/Day Level 1: Produce Lightning, Shillelagh, Lesser Vigor, Detect Spirits, Summon Nature's Ally I.
4/Day Level 2: Summon Nature's Ally II, Protection from Spirits, Ball Lightning

Baboon Traits:
AC: 18, Touch: 18, Flat Footed: 14
Fort: +7
Refl: +5
Will: +7
Move: 40', cimb 40'
Init: +4
Perception: +10
[/sblock]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
OOC: I'm thinking we need to go there and look in detail. I'm guessing at least one location has a basement. And we can ask locals if that doesn't yield any results

"Honored Vashti, if this is normal for this group, I mean to change it's members every week, I feel there is little connection between us, fated or otherwise as your predeccessor seemed to imply. That is something you may look into as I'm not part of the original group and didn't receive a letter from her.

I'll accept brother Gold as others accepted me, but he still needs to prove himself in trials we're expecting."

strawhat

First Post
"I'm sorry, I can't do anything now, but I will try when I am more skilled." Gold says, after studying the childern

"I will prove myself, and I may not know much of what happened and what they did, but if these people are evil, I will do my best to bring swift justice." he replies to Mystal, giving a light smile.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Quite depends on what you consider evil, but I'd say choping heads off and making the bodies into zombies qualifies. And if my description gives you creeps, you may reconsider.

Now, everyone, let's go and root out some evil cultists. We still haven't found that mystic that got us fried."

Dr Simon

Explorer
The Vashti gives Mystal a small smile.

"I'll be honest with you, Mystal, I'm not sure what my great aunt had in mind, or what criteria she used to chose the original, um, beneficiaries. I'm still working my way through the journals she left to me. I think she had some grand task in mind, and her little games seem to have been a way of forging a group capable of tackling it. In that respect, I don't think it matters who is in the group, as long as there is one. As to this current problem," she shifts her seating position. "What we have is a group of criminals using magic to evil ends. Technically, the authorities should be alerted, and I have spoken to Magister Ten about this. However, the common response in such matters is to deputise any jiunsami in the area to deal with the magical threat." She holds out her hands, palms up and smiles. "And this happens to be you lot. So... we're really just cutting the bureaucracy. I do have one requirement, though. Bring the living gangsters back alive, if you can. I'll leave the undead ones to your discretion."

OOC: Jiunsami are magicians who are registered with the local authorities, as opposed to tabusami who are unregistered, and thus considered criminals. Colloquially, tabusami also refers to types of magic considered illegal - raising evil spirits, unprovoked attack with magic and use of mind-controlling magic, although not all unregistered magicians necessarily perform such things, some simply fall between the bureaucratic cracks (cough Annika cough).

Shayuri

First Post
"Leave the undead ones to me," Annika suggests, a heat haze shimmering around her briefly. "They won't rise again from ashes."

The red-haired sorceress gets to her feet and nods at Mystal.

"I've been working for, or with, the Vashti since the first one called us together. I don't know about fate or anything like that. I don't think that's it at all. I think she just saw a need for people of skill and courage to act for a common good, so she asked us to. And as time went on, we extended that asking to others. Some accept, others don't. Some accept for a time, and then have things they must tend to themselves."

She shrugs.

"Lets return to their hiding places then. I don't think the order necessarily matters. The closest one first, and then the farther, should be fine."

Dr Simon

Explorer
The closer of the two known hiding places is an abandoned shop on the Street of Five Tigers (named for a tavern thereon). Five Tigers is a busy market thoroughfare in the heart of Cormondal, with stallholders and vagrant sellers occupying the streets in front of the more settled business establishments. A man selling steamed dumplings has set up his cart in front of this particular building, a functional two-storey structure with a large veranda area that is used by the other establishments as the shop front (a kind of fixed market stall).

In this case, the windows are shuttered tight, and the door is closed. The paint is peeling and this building stands apart from the others in not having been decorated for the Laburnum Festival.

[sblock=OOC]
No obvious signs of life. Breaking in at the front will be done so in front of a busy street, and the two adjacent buildings abut right against it, so no convenient side alley.
[/sblock]

Remove ads