D&D General The Sales of D&D vs. AD&D vs. AD&D 2nd Edition

The 2nd edition of AD&D sold well when it was released. Combined, the Dungeon Master’s Guide and Player’s Handbook sold over 400,000 copies in their first year. That’s a lot of books. Not the most ever sold by TSR, but a lot. To give some historical comparison, the 1981 D&D Basic Rules Set sold over 650,000 copies in its first year. To compare to previous editions of AD&D, the 1st edition DMG and PHB together sold over 146,000 copies in 1979. Putting those numbers together makes AD&D 2nd edition look like a solid hit. But it hides a deeper problem.

The 2nd edition of AD&D sold well when it was released. Combined, the Dungeon Master’s Guide and Player’s Handbook sold over 400,000 copies in their first year. That’s a lot of books. Not the most ever sold by TSR, but a lot. To give some historical comparison, the 1981 D&D Basic Rules Set sold over 650,000 copies in its first year. To compare to previous editions of AD&D, the 1st edition DMG and PHB together sold over 146,000 copies in 1979. Putting those numbers together makes AD&D 2nd edition look like a solid hit. But it hides a deeper problem.

A1obCF-Ju2L.jpg

Benjamin Riggs shares some D&D history! This was posted on Facebook and shared with permission.

AD&D 2nd edition didn’t have the legs that AD&D 1st edition did. Combined sales of the 1st edition DMG and PHB actually went up at first, selling over 390,000 in 1980, over 577,000 in 1981, over 452,000 in 1982, and 533,000 in 1983 before finally sliding to just over 234,000 in 1984, at the time when TSR began its first crisis. Meanwhile, the 2nd edition DMG and PHB would never sell more than 200,000 copies in a single year after 1989. In short, 2nd edition wasn’t selling like its predecessor.

But if AD&D 2nd edition looks small in comparison to1st edition, both shrink before the altar of Dungeons & Dragons. Including 1st, 2nd edition, revised 2nd edition, and introductory sets, AD&D sold a total of 4,624,111 corebooks between 1979 and 1998. Meanwhile, D&D sold 5,454,859 units in that same period, the vast bulk of those purchases coming between 1979 and 1983.

TSR could no longer put up the sales numbers it once did. Even D&D, which sold better than AD&D in either iteration, didn’t sell in the 90’s like it did in the 80’s. What had changed? Something changed, but what was it? Was it that Gary Gygax was gone? Had something gone wrong with 2nd edition? Was a rule changed that shouldn’t have been? Was it too complex? Not complex enough? Had RPGs been a fad that faded? Should the AD&D lines be canceled entirely to focus on the historically better-selling D&D?

These numbers should have been an occasion for self-reflection and correction all over TSR.

But they weren’t.

These numbers were left in the offices of upper management. Zeb Cook himself said he never saw any concrete sales numbers for 2nd edition. The decision by management under Lorraine Williams to keep sales numbers like those above restricted to the top of the company must be seen as a mistake. The inability of the game designers to know how their product was selling cut them off from economic feedback on their product. I see those numbers, and what I read is that TSR’s audience bought the 2nd edition books, read them, and just weren’t crazy about them. (Although I myself am quite partial to the rules, as they are what I grew up playing.) But Zeb Cook didn’t know that, so how could he make changes to improve his craft in the future?

Benjamin went on to note his source: "I have a source who sent me a few pages of sales data from TSR. It's primary source material. I don't have everything, but I do have the data contained in the post above." He is currently writing a book on the sale of TSR to Wizards of the Coast.

darjr

I crit!
Obsessing over statistics is like 64% of gaming! It'd be weird if we didn't obsess over 40 year old sales figures!
64%?!? Cite! Clearly it could only be that in a certain demographic from the 70s, the 90s were very different, where you even playing then?

mykesfree

Adventurer
Just to add my own personal story here. I was introduced to AD&D 1E and played one adventure with an older friend's brother. Then with my own age group friends we played Basic, and my parents bought the Basic Red Box set for me.

Then my parents bought me the TSR Marvel Super Heroes Yellow Box set and all bets were off. My friends and I only played MSH until 1987 when WEG released the Star Wars D6 game and stuck with only that game. In 1989 when the 2e D&D books were released a friend of mine bought all of them and the FR Grey Box. Within my friends group back then, we shifted from MSH 2e, DC Heroes 1st and 2nd ed, WEG: Star Wars, Ghostbusters, Paranoia, FASA: Star Trek and Battletech. While we had a hobby store, a B&N, and a TRU, I made many purchases from the Worlds of Westfield catalog.

In the 90's Star Wars mostly won out as the game we played. We found the rules and the campaign easiest to understand and the adventures fun.

In 98, I played a couple games of CoC, but D&D didn't make a come back into my RPG life until 3E and played a demo at Dragon Con. So for 11 years, I made no D&D RPG purchases (Yes there were novels, and GOLD Boxes!)

After 3E, our group has played D&D for 4E, and 5E. We are still with 5e, but have been really enjoying the 2d20 Star Trek Adventures Game as an alternate game.

D&D was certainly very much in the public eye in 1985 when 60 Minutes ran a story on the game and included interviews with Pat Pulling and Gary Gygax. Of course maybe that mainstream attention didn't arrive until after the fad reached it's zenith.
I feel like that’s probably true, especially in the pre-internet/social media days, when trends took much longer to bubble to the top of public consciousness. Now we know what trends are because there are tons of people whose whole business is in posting about it.

Zardnaar

Legend
TBF, they'd been kept more or less secret the whole time.

Dancey posted similar numbers years ago on the GitP forums and other numbers were posted at pax east iirc 2014 by Paizo.

Until 5E D&D had been on a downward spiral with each edition selling less than the one before it.

3.0 and 3.5 together probably sold more than 2E, Pathfinder outsold 4e apparently and 3.5 by 2014 probably outsold Pathfinder (250-350k vs 250k).

Tony Vargas

Legend
Until 5E D&D had been on a downward spiral with each edition selling less than the one before it.
Probably about that - the hobby just wasn't bringing in many new players, not retaining those it did bring in well, and thus not replacing the existing ones aging out. About what you'd have to expect for the period between fad and comeback - really D&D held on pretty well through it's 'cult' years.

3. Finally, I would posit that "Scoreboard!" and "Box office!" are somewhat more recent ways that we determine the worth of something. Yes, financial success (in terms of metrics) has always been important, but people really care about, say, the box office for movies now in a way that wasn't deeply ingrained in the consciousness 40 years ago. As to why this change occurred, I will leave that for others to discuss.
Oh, they've always been significant, but as numbers that measure popularity, and thus (however fallaciously) validate opinions and preferences, they've become a particular obsession of late. Maybe insecurity has mounted, maybe it's a reflection of the ever-growing influence of affinity groups in America, maybe reverence for popularity has waxed with the expansion of social media?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
It seems like all of the other editions of D&D had experienced a significant drop-off in sales a few years after their release date, but 5E seems to be climbing more than 5 years on. I don't have any hard numbers for this; it could just be my own weird perception.

I wonder what a graph of sales vs. time would look like for each edition.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I wonder what a graph of sales vs. time would look like for each edition.
After the fad, the inability to attract new players would tend to give each new edition high initial sales as the faithful base upgraded, then drop-off as even the late-adopters among them got their copies, for want of significant new players... and, each cycle, they'd lose some of the faithful, so prettymuch a descending spiral... complicated by things like economic factors, length of runs, effectiveness of marketing, and so forth.
When that finally changes (changed with 5e, by all indications), that's the come-back and explosive growth is to be expected. If it's "here to say, baby!" it'll eventually level off. If it's just a come-back, it'll eventually peak & flop again.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads