D&D General The Sales of D&D vs. AD&D vs. AD&D 2nd Edition

The 2nd edition of AD&D sold well when it was released. Combined, the Dungeon Master’s Guide and Player’s Handbook sold over 400,000 copies in their first year. That’s a lot of books. Not the most ever sold by TSR, but a lot. To give some historical comparison, the 1981 D&D Basic Rules Set sold over 650,000 copies in its first year. To compare to previous editions of AD&D, the 1st edition DMG and PHB together sold over 146,000 copies in 1979. Putting those numbers together makes AD&D 2nd edition look like a solid hit. But it hides a deeper problem.

The 2nd edition of AD&D sold well when it was released. Combined, the Dungeon Master’s Guide and Player’s Handbook sold over 400,000 copies in their first year. That’s a lot of books. Not the most ever sold by TSR, but a lot. To give some historical comparison, the 1981 D&D Basic Rules Set sold over 650,000 copies in its first year. To compare to previous editions of AD&D, the 1st edition DMG and PHB together sold over 146,000 copies in 1979. Putting those numbers together makes AD&D 2nd edition look like a solid hit. But it hides a deeper problem.

A1obCF-Ju2L.jpg

Benjamin Riggs shares some D&D history! This was posted on Facebook and shared with permission.

AD&D 2nd edition didn’t have the legs that AD&D 1st edition did. Combined sales of the 1st edition DMG and PHB actually went up at first, selling over 390,000 in 1980, over 577,000 in 1981, over 452,000 in 1982, and 533,000 in 1983 before finally sliding to just over 234,000 in 1984, at the time when TSR began its first crisis. Meanwhile, the 2nd edition DMG and PHB would never sell more than 200,000 copies in a single year after 1989. In short, 2nd edition wasn’t selling like its predecessor.

But if AD&D 2nd edition looks small in comparison to1st edition, both shrink before the altar of Dungeons & Dragons. Including 1st, 2nd edition, revised 2nd edition, and introductory sets, AD&D sold a total of 4,624,111 corebooks between 1979 and 1998. Meanwhile, D&D sold 5,454,859 units in that same period, the vast bulk of those purchases coming between 1979 and 1983.

TSR could no longer put up the sales numbers it once did. Even D&D, which sold better than AD&D in either iteration, didn’t sell in the 90’s like it did in the 80’s. What had changed? Something changed, but what was it? Was it that Gary Gygax was gone? Had something gone wrong with 2nd edition? Was a rule changed that shouldn’t have been? Was it too complex? Not complex enough? Had RPGs been a fad that faded? Should the AD&D lines be canceled entirely to focus on the historically better-selling D&D?

These numbers should have been an occasion for self-reflection and correction all over TSR.

But they weren’t.

These numbers were left in the offices of upper management. Zeb Cook himself said he never saw any concrete sales numbers for 2nd edition. The decision by management under Lorraine Williams to keep sales numbers like those above restricted to the top of the company must be seen as a mistake. The inability of the game designers to know how their product was selling cut them off from economic feedback on their product. I see those numbers, and what I read is that TSR’s audience bought the 2nd edition books, read them, and just weren’t crazy about them. (Although I myself am quite partial to the rules, as they are what I grew up playing.) But Zeb Cook didn’t know that, so how could he make changes to improve his craft in the future?

Benjamin went on to note his source: "I have a source who sent me a few pages of sales data from TSR. It's primary source material. I don't have everything, but I do have the data contained in the post above." He is currently writing a book on the sale of TSR to Wizards of the Coast.

darjr

I crit!
D&D was in the pop culture in the early 80s in a way I don't think it has been at any other time. D&D cartoon, brief appearance in ET The Extraterrestrial, the "Satanic Panic", ads in Marvel comics. And you could buy it in department stores.
Which I think all is true now, in similar fashion anyway but more. It’s in more shows than one movie, several. Target had the essentials as an exclusive. The satanic panic seems like it’s still grooving along, just now mostly ignored (laughed at) when it pops up.

Hurin70

Adventurer
I admit I never put much weight into the competition argument. That competition in the late 80s early 90s is what led to the severe drop in D&D sales. Competition has literally been there since the beginning. Tunnels and Trolls, Runequest, Traveller, Gamma World, and Metamorphis Alpha (all popular games) all came out in the 70s before D&D really shot up in sales in the early 80s.

Then in the early 80s, we had BRP, the Hero system, Rolemaster, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, and Paranoia. Those are all popular game systems. By 1986 GURPS was out. So the competition has always been there.

You are right of course that there was always competition. Maybe my impressions have been swayed by my own evolution; I never played much 2nd Edition DnD because our group had largely moved on to other things.

It would be interesting (though probably impossible?) to see what DnD's market share was over these years. My impression was that it declined a bit as other systems arose -- MERP and Rolemaster were seriously challenging it by the mid-to-late-80s -- but I could be wrong about the market share.

It's worth noting that before character gen and optimization became a core part of the player expectations, you could happily run D&D for 20 years using the same core books.
Thay is one of the reasons in my post a few comments back i made sure to add that i was limiting the scope to main product run years.

Still curious about my question. Im not sure if you were responding to me but i thought you might be. If you aren't im sorry but im still curious.

Last edited:

Bruce Heard

Calidar Publishing
Hi all. Bruce Heard here.

There wasn't anything "wrong" per se with 2nd Edition AD&D (or for that matter with any of the early versions). The problem with 2nd Edition sales and TSR sales in general is manyfold. The drop coincided with changes in the marketplace, such as the rise of computer video games and growing competition from other RPG publishers. There also was a glut of core books already in the hobby (honestly, a lot of 1st Edition material was already in the hands of gamers, many of whom just weren't interested in buying new hardcover books). Once folks purchase their core material, there generally is little incentive to replace them. I'm still using hardcover books printed 30+ years ago! If I were to buy new books, it would logically be some other game I don't already have, suggesting a loss in sales for my original publisher. It looks like the market also topped out to a certain degree at that point. Later on, CCG got in the way as well. Combine all of the above, and now you know why sales numbers flagged. It was unavoidable.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yes! Well, I might have an addendum to that-

the culture in the 80s was different; I might say that the level of cultural awareness for D&D now is similar to that of the early 80s but in a different way.

Instead of ET (movie) we have Stranger Things (Netflix series).

Instead of D&D Cartoon, we have multiple streaming sites.

Instead of action figures, we have etsy and D&D merchandise (hey, Joe Manginello).

Instead of cartoon ads in Marvel Comics, we have think pieces in the New Yorker. And so on.
and Marvel just had a big event that was basically Marvel vs DnD with some serial numbers filed off lol

Jimmy Dick

Adventurer
The biggest reason why AD&D 2e dropped off in my region is because of Magic-The Incredible Waste of Time and Money came out. Suddenly that sucked all the younger players away and without them we couldn't sustain campaigns. RPGs dropped off to nothing as people flocked to a deck of cards that had no soul and no roleplay possibilities. I just walked away from it all for years and played video games, especially Everquest when it came out until I encountered Pathfinder a few years ago.

Which I think all is true now, in similar fashion anyway but more. It’s in more shows than one movie, several. Target had the essentials as an exclusive.

Pop culture is so much more fragmented today that nothing has the same reach as comparables in the 80s. Critical Role may seem hugely popular, but far fewer people watch it than watched the lowest rated show on network TV in 1983. Even a monster hit like Stranger Things has less reach than a movie like ET did back when it came out (40 million people globally watched Stranger Things, while 120 million Americans alone bought tickets to ET).

Remove ads

Remove ads