D&D General The Sales of D&D vs. AD&D vs. AD&D 2nd Edition

The 2nd edition of AD&D sold well when it was released. Combined, the Dungeon Master’s Guide and Player’s Handbook sold over 400,000 copies in their first year. That’s a lot of books. Not the most ever sold by TSR, but a lot. To give some historical comparison, the 1981 D&D Basic Rules Set sold over 650,000 copies in its first year. To compare to previous editions of AD&D, the 1st edition DMG and PHB together sold over 146,000 copies in 1979. Putting those numbers together makes AD&D 2nd edition look like a solid hit. But it hides a deeper problem.

A1obCF-Ju2L.jpg

Benjamin Riggs shares some D&D history! This was posted on Facebook and shared with permission.

AD&D 2nd edition didn’t have the legs that AD&D 1st edition did. Combined sales of the 1st edition DMG and PHB actually went up at first, selling over 390,000 in 1980, over 577,000 in 1981, over 452,000 in 1982, and 533,000 in 1983 before finally sliding to just over 234,000 in 1984, at the time when TSR began its first crisis. Meanwhile, the 2nd edition DMG and PHB would never sell more than 200,000 copies in a single year after 1989. In short, 2nd edition wasn’t selling like its predecessor.

But if AD&D 2nd edition looks small in comparison to1st edition, both shrink before the altar of Dungeons & Dragons. Including 1st, 2nd edition, revised 2nd edition, and introductory sets, AD&D sold a total of 4,624,111 corebooks between 1979 and 1998. Meanwhile, D&D sold 5,454,859 units in that same period, the vast bulk of those purchases coming between 1979 and 1983.

TSR could no longer put up the sales numbers it once did. Even D&D, which sold better than AD&D in either iteration, didn’t sell in the 90’s like it did in the 80’s. What had changed? Something changed, but what was it? Was it that Gary Gygax was gone? Had something gone wrong with 2nd edition? Was a rule changed that shouldn’t have been? Was it too complex? Not complex enough? Had RPGs been a fad that faded? Should the AD&D lines be canceled entirely to focus on the historically better-selling D&D?

These numbers should have been an occasion for self-reflection and correction all over TSR.

But they weren’t.

These numbers were left in the offices of upper management. Zeb Cook himself said he never saw any concrete sales numbers for 2nd edition. The decision by management under Lorraine Williams to keep sales numbers like those above restricted to the top of the company must be seen as a mistake. The inability of the game designers to know how their product was selling cut them off from economic feedback on their product. I see those numbers, and what I read is that TSR’s audience bought the 2nd edition books, read them, and just weren’t crazy about them. (Although I myself am quite partial to the rules, as they are what I grew up playing.) But Zeb Cook didn’t know that, so how could he make changes to improve his craft in the future?

Benjamin went on to note his source: "I have a source who sent me a few pages of sales data from TSR. It's primary source material. I don't have everything, but I do have the data contained in the post above." He is currently writing a book on the sale of TSR to Wizards of the Coast.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
How do these numbers compare with D&D 5e?

I don't think we have solid numbers, though already three years ago the 5E PHB had outsold the 3E, 3.5 and 4E PHB lifetime numbers, and each subsequent year has seen accelerating sales so far.

At least the pattern looks more like 1E: the 5E PHB wasn't a top 100 bestseller on Amazon in 2014 or 2015, but has been 2016-2018, climbing the overall annual charts year to year. In fact, in 2018, not just the PHB, but the MM, DMG and Xanathar's Guide cracked the top 100 books for the year. And they still sell in hobby stores!

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
2. B/X, on the other hand. So, there were people that just played B/X (or BECMI, or "D&D"), but they were not that common, ESPECIALLY in the U.S. Instead, a lot of those massive sales came down to two categories:

a. Well-meaning parents, grandparents, or friends who got the Red Box at JC Penny or B. Dalton or KB Toys and gifted it to someone, only for it to end up in a closet somewhere.

b. People who purchased the basic set to start with, or in addition to, the AD&D core rulebooks. Put another way, I can't think of anyone who didn't have (and play) AD&D who didn't also happen to have a copy of B/X or BECMI, just because.

I think you are missing

c. People who did play B/X, but casually like a board game a couple times a year. Like in a cabin for vacation, or over holiday breaks.

And

d. People who played B/X a whole lot, without playing AD&D, because it was a different style game they really liked.

I played B/X a whole lot. The adventures that came out for it were often very good, and creating adventures for it was easy. The rules were lighter, and that fit the style my younger brother and I preferred for many years. We eventually bought the AD&D books but they were so massive we kinda just read them sometimes but didn't play that version until many years later.

SMHWorlds

Adventurer
I have a few thoughts on sales numbers

-By 1994, twenty years of D&D, there was a lot more competition in terms of RPGs and computer games than there had been in the period of 1979-1983/85. Although personal computers and PC gaming was on the rise as well during the 80s.

-There was also a cultural shift; Vampire and to a lesser degree other games were taking things outside of the dungeon. Yes your basic fantasy stuff was still popular as it is today, but White Wolf, FASA, WEG, and others were big RPG companies like TSR and put out fantastic products that were not dungeon crawls. Perhaps they never reached AD&D/D&D heights, but their sales were not insignificant. Of course, like TSR, many of these companies did not make it out of the 90s intact or at all. Perhaps there are larger market forces at work during the 90s across the entire RPG industry?

-These are just sales of the PHB/DMG. Do they include the Monster Manual? That would need to be adjusted perhaps because the format of the MM changed from AD&D 1st to 2nd. What about the sales of the setting material? That lovely 2nd edition FR hardbook that I wish I still had. How did all of that figure into the financials?

dwayne

Adventurer
first was dangeous and very hard core in many ways and let the DM, more control than most and the characters were or could be very powerful. Second kinda gimped much from that 1st edition but also opened up other things like skills, and kits and removing level cap for races and class restrictions. It had its good point, the issue was that most of this was already being done in house by the DM's at the time and all they saw was the watering down of the game. I really think that 2nd edition gets a bad rep but i grew up on it it was the first books i got on my own, had mu mom get me the blue and red box sets some time before when i was little. But this was my edition as was just after high school and had much free time.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
-There was also a cultural shift; Vampire and to a lesser degree other games were taking things outside of the dungeon.

I've always wondered about the 'Vampire Effect'. It seemed to me at the time that vampire was not so much taking gamers away from D&D as it was bringing new rpgers into the hobby; people who ordinarily would never have played D&,D in the first place.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases