D&D General The Satanic Panic never really died?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celebrim

Legend
And I'm sure this is exactly the same...

The problem here is that there is no Biblical passage saying that you "shan't play D&D".

What a load of illogical tripe.

@Morrus: For the purposes of this thread, am I allowed to discuss the relevancy of my analogies despite the ban on religious discussions at EnWorld?

Bardic Dave

Adventurer
Neither did I.

But rather than risk upsetting or offending you with another attempt, can you clarify it for us instead?
Clarify what? You’re the one who soured the thread with unfounded accusations of bad faith. Morrus was merely reporting the surprising (to some) fact that some people still believe D&D is the work of the devil.

From where I stand, you’re the one who comes off as arguing in bad faith.

Last edited:

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
@Morrus: For the purposes of this thread, am I allowed to discuss the relevancy of my analogies despite the ban on religious discussions at EnWorld?
The reason they're not comparable is because D&D does not facilitate spellcasting.

The Bible says "you shouldn't cast spells", and, in D&D, you don't.

In contrast, saying "thou shan't eat pork" clearly means "don't eat pork".

Which is something you can, like, actually do.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
It's my understanding that the Satanic Panic existed globally, but generally with less fervor. Although, one of the first instances was Michelle Remembers, in Canada.

Michelle Remembers had nothing at all to do with RPGing. It was (later proven to be) a work of almost complete fiction.

That said, the thriving Neo-Pagan and Wiccan culture we enjoyed here in Victoria for the following several decades can in part thank that book for getting it started. :)

Undrave

Legend
I had a colleague at work that decided in middle age to wear the hijab. Do you think that I responded to this by suggesting that there was no actual requirement in Islam to do so?

Are you fond of challenging Orthodox Jews for refusing to eat a cheeseburger? If an Orthodox Jew called out a daughter for say, eating a cheeseburger or posing with a photo of a dead pig - not even touching that pig - but just being in the photo with it, would you have responded, "So I guess Kosher never really died? I guess it didn't for some!"

What.

Undrave

Legend
I had a colleague at work that decided in middle age to wear the hijab. Do you think that I responded to this by suggesting that there was no actual requirement in Islam to do so?

Are you fond of challenging Orthodox Jews for refusing to eat a cheeseburger? If an Orthodox Jew called out a daughter for say, eating a cheeseburger or posing with a photo of a dead pig - not even touching that pig - but just being in the photo with it, would you have responded, "So I guess Kosher never really died? I guess it didn't for some!"

Okay so... I don't think your analogy works at all.

Saying "DnD is Satanic" is like if you were saying to a Jew "Your sandwich has bacon in it" when it, in fact, does not. And then you get mad when people don't accept your 'belief' that there is bacon in the sandwich. No, we don't have to be 'tolerant' of lies and fear mongering.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak

Saying "DnD is Satanic" is like if you were saying to a Jew "Your sandwich has bacon in it" when it, in fact, does not. And then you get mad when people don't accept your 'belief' that there is bacon in the sandwich. No, we don't have to be 'tolerant' of lies and fear mongering.
Excellent response.

Celebrim

Legend

None of my analogies were as obvious of a point as eating bacon. Remember, one of the examples was getting photographed with a pig - not touching, not eating, etc.

However, before I start launching into a full blown discussion of sacred texts and what sincere religious people are thinking, I'm going to have to get that cleared with higher authority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads