The Shadows

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
(Sorry, the exam. Went quite well. Then my sister's graduation party. I got drunk, was fun. Now picking up threads. Was that a pun? I'll kick this one up soon.)

Blackrat

Agent Ford actually chuckles listening to Jericho's musings. "Yeah, we're the Men in Black, if you wish to use those terms. But we're not the only ones and even we don't have clearances to look everywhere. The thing is, there really is things that public considers supernatural. We don't know what all those are, but when they commit crimes, there needs to be someone who protects the innocents. And normal police, nor even FBI is trained to handle these situations. As you three already saw firsthand what I'm talking about, the hardest part of our recruitment process is done. That is getting rational individuals in believing what I'm saying."

He pauses for a second before continuing in answering your conserns. Flashing a smile at Jericho. "The suit is used by damage control unit. That means us, who go about telling witnesses that it was a weather balloon. So no, it isn't required of you, though nondescript blank clothing is endorsed. And what is expected of you? We want you to do the same thing you already do. Investigate crimes. The difference is, these perps are often something the populace don't believe to exist. The official story is that you keep an eye on national secret projects. That is what we do. As such you can't talk about your work to anyone. And as such you can keep contact to your friends and families normal."

Jemal

Adventurer
"OK, so.. what's the catch? You've just told us we'll be able to keep normal family lives, and help keep the world safe from the things that go bump in the night.. sorry if I seem pessimistic, but there must be something else you're not telling us. I allready assume this job is a little more dangerous than catching thieves & mobsters, but..."
Jericho left his sentence hanging, tilting his head thoughtfully as he looked at Ford.

Walking Dad

First Post
Dj

"And if we take the job, do we get special equipment? You know, like in those films. Or a kind of Monster Manual?
Or shall we learning by dyi...doing? I saw this beast taking some good shots, but it ran away. And it nearly killed a FBI Agent effortlessly!"

DJ asks, still worriyng about possible outcomes of this situation.

Blackrat

"My apologies doctor. You are free to decline if you wish so. But you have to understand that if you do, you are forbidden to talk about any of this with anyone ever, under the pain of death. But if you are lucky you will never have to meet with any of us again, and can continue living your life carefree of the truth. In time, maybe your mind even allows you to forget anything strange ever happened."

He smiles with a knowing smirk on his face. "But you are too curious to seriously consider that, I wager. With luck you'll be the first doctor to perform an autopsy on a human-wolf hybrid, or something even more exotic. Consider the possibilities."

He sighs before addressing Jericho's conserns. "Yes. As agent Smith here observed, the catch is the possibility of a horrible death under conditions that no-one will ever find out. And then our creative guys will have to come up with a cover-story of what happened. But we will make sure you are eguipped with the best this country can afford."

He turns to Smith. "And we do have a memo available on some creatures we have encountered. But it is still on the work, and new info is added as it is found."

Jemal

Adventurer
Jericho sat in silence for a moment digesting the information. He looked at the other two, who would - if they all agreed - most likely turn out to be his colleagues, and the only people he would be able to talk to this stuff about. Well, he could picture worse people to get stuck with.
"Would we be a team, or would we be assigned to allready established teams? I'm assuming you don't have agents work alone on most of these horribly dangerous missions."

Blackrat

"I think it is intention that you work as a team. I am not fully briefed on all of the details myself, I was only given authorisation to tell you what I know and extend the invitation. The rest you will have to ask from my superiors should you decide to accept."

Walking Dad

First Post
Dj

"Fine, then tell us what you know about the creature I hunted for a better half of a year now. It will help me to decide my answer."

Blackrat

Ford sighs heavily. "Well considering that you three took head-on with it, you are now the foremost experts on it. Aside you, there are only two we know of have survived meeting one. The other is living grippled in a wheelchair with his mind completely gone. From his babblings, whatever they are worth, have been gathered these creatures actually change shape between that of wolf and human, and hybrid."

Remove ads