D&D 5E The simplest and most effectiv 3 PC team

Hi guys.

I will soon start a campaign with 3 players, full beginners from a TRPG point of view.
So i want to start eeaaasy with the rules and the roll-playing, using pré-gen characters.

From your perspectiv what is the simplest and most effectiv team for 3 players ?
The simplicity aspect is very important : concise sheet, simple combat moove & spells is mandatory.

I'm thinking all humans, Champion Fighter + Thief Rogue + Lore Bard.
What do you think ?

Iry

Hero
Str Champion, Dex Champion, and Life Cleric.
Two fighters keeps it simple, you've got athletics, stealth, thief tools, perception, insight, and survival covered. Someone can lean social if they want, but it's not necessary for first timers.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
In a small party I might lean towards Bard rather than Cleric. They have the versatility to cover healing, social and some of the rogue's utility skills.

I find Swashbucklers the simplest Rogues. While their 3rd level abilities are somewhat more complicated than some others like a a Thief from the perspective of someone who knows Rogue rules, they get sneak attack so easily that cunning action hiding is unnecessary, and they usually don't have to worry about disengages, so they are particularly easy to develop a consistent and simple strategy for. In other words it might be a little more to learn at the outset, but simpler to master.

Lore Bards cover the most skill and spell mileage, but if you are going for simplicity I think Valor Bards are the simplest. They get to use any weapon, their inspiration dice can work on damage rolls, and at level 6 the player doesn't have to pick two extra spells from other classes which is a potentially daunting task for a new player. And since it's a small group some martial switch hitting is probably a good thing.

3 warforged with customized main ability score, and no need to eat, breathe, or genuinely sleep. Cleric for healing, Battlemaster Fighter for melee damage, Rouge with a fighter dip for ranged dpr with double skill prof.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Pure simplicity
  • Str/Con Champion Fighter
  • Dex/Con Champion Fighter
  • Wis/Cha Life Cleric

Simplest in mechanics covering a lot of bases
  • Dex/Wis Thief Rogue
  • Cha/Int Lore Bard.
Simplest for fun if the DM makes the character for them and levels them:
  • Cha/Dex Valor Bard
  • Cha/Int Divine Sorcerer

Life Cleric.

Do you really think Life Cleric is simpler than Lore Bard ?
A Lot of spells to read.

I find Swashbucklers the simplest Rogues. While their 3rd level abilities are somewhat more complicated than some others like a a Thief from the perspective of someone who knows Rogue rules, they get sneak attack so easily that cunning action hiding is unnecessary, and they usually don't have to worry about disengages, so they are particularly easy to develop a consistent and simple strategy for. In other words it might be a little more to learn at the outset, but simpler to master.

Lore Bards cover the most skill and spell mileage, but if you are going for simplicity I think Valor Bards are the simplest. They get to use any weapon, their inspiration dice can work on damage rolls, and at level 6 the player doesn't have to pick two extra spells from other classes which is a potentially daunting task for a new player. And since it's a small group some martial switch hitting is probably a good thing.

Very interesting !
Do you have suggestions for the bard known spells ?

3 warforged with customized main ability score, and no need to eat, breathe, or genuinely sleep.

I'm looking for a very classic fantasy mood, so no living constructs ^^

Do you really think Paladin is simpler than Champion Fighter ?

Remove ads