D&D 5E "The so-called '5-Minute Workday' is Something I've Seen Regularly Playing 5E D&D" (a poll)

True or False: "The so-called '5-Minute Workday' is Something I've Seen Regularly Playing 5E D&D"

• True.

Votes: 43 31.6%
  • True, but not since I instituted a house rule.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • False.

Votes: 86 63.2%

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
This time around the answers include one more option, but the question remains pretty straightforward.

True or False: "The so-called '5-Minute Workday' is Something I've Seen Regularly Playing 5E D&D"

By the "5-minute workday" I mean the phenomenon in which player characters have one combat encounter use enough of their renewable resources (whatever that means to them) to immediately look to get a long rest.

Oofta

Legend
I've pretty much been able to avoid it when I DM. There are plenty of ways to make it so that long rests whenever you want won't happen on a regular basis. In AL/public games it can occasionally be a bit of a problem but that has more to do with the short timeframe you have for sessions that have to be self contained than the rules of the game.

Vaalingrade

Legend
So very true.

Not sure if 'stopped caring about daily resources' is really a house rule though. I guess moving all casters to mana is.

Stormonu

Legend
Happens a lot when it comes to overland encounters, I generally tweak those encounters so they remain challenging if its the only one for the day.

In “dungeons”, I haven’t encountered this and have to sometimes suggest that the party might want to take a (short) rest before rushing into the next encounter.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Right.

Not sure how to vote really, because Random encounters and time pressure aren't house rules.

And I've done that since before 5e and in 5e. So technically false, I guess.
Well the poll isn't about "fixing the 5-minute workday," it's about whether or not you've "seen the 5-minute workday" in 5E. I see it all the time in 5E, regardless of whether or not the DM is using random encounters. I just see it less often when random encounters are a possibility. At the very least, it gives the party a reason to think twice about spending the night in a vampire nest.

As for fixing it:

Another handy tool the DM can use is the infamous "Gritty Realism" variant, that makes a Short Rest = 8 hours, and a Long Rest = 1 week. And I use the word infamous because most players hate this rule, according to ENWorld. Like random encounters, this isn't really a 'house rule' since it's already in the Dungeon Master's Guide.

If your players are truly abusing the rules for resting (whatever that looks like at your table), I think the best solution is to just have fewer combat scenes. Seriously, try it out for a gaming session and see how it goes. First, break the fourth wall and tell the players "Whew, you guys are burning through your resources a lot more quickly than I thought. Combat is really slowing you guys down, so I'm going to use fewer monsters from now on." Then start replacing the monsters with environmental hazards, friendly creatures, traps, and interesting scenery. Instead of a dozen lesser battles, have only one or two big ones. This is also not a 'house rule.'

Last edited:

Remove ads