the tablet war is heating up

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
But it's no enterprise solution.

RW data does not back this up. There are studies out there already showing increases in productivity directly attributable to the use of iPads in particular.

Besides the medical field, where iPads have all kinds of eRX and eMR options, there are all kinds of productivity boosts being reported in archaeology digs, pro auto racing, some restaurants, airlines, and (of course) the music* & movie biz.

Could other tablets be used? Sure...eventually. But iPads already have the apps that are increasing productivity in these markets right now. And as others have pointed out, if you want to replace something that is already working, you either have to be as good but cheaper OR the same price (or pricier) and simply better.

* Example: there is a guitar pedal out there right now that incorporates an iPad or iPad2 into it that simulates nearly $60,000 worth of classic pedals & amps. For a guy just launching his pro career or a recording studio, that is a game-changer.

Last edited:

IronWolf

blank
You can do word processing and spreadsheets on iPad. It's fine for folks who have those light, generic needs. But it's no enterprise solution.

Seeing as I have several engineers and marketing types and exec level types using iPads daily for various purposes it would seem they are functioning just fine in the enterprise. Keep in mind these are not replacements for their PCs, but devices they use on their journeys through the plant and meetings.

John Crichton

First Post
RW data does not back this up. There are studies out there already showing increases in productivity directly attributable to the use of iPads in particular.

Besides the medical field, where iPads have all kinds of eRX and eMR options, there are all kinds of productivity boosts being reported in archaeology digs, pro auto racing, some restaurants, airlines, and (of course) the music* & movie biz.

Could other tablets be used? Sure...eventually. But iPads already have the apps that are increasing productivity in these markets right now. And as others have pointed out, if you want to replace something that is already working, you either have to be as good but cheaper OR the same price (or pricier) and simply better.
Yup.

After I got settled in with mine I was absolutely shocked at the multiple uses I could put it to at work and how productive I could be. I do agree that the email support isn't the best but it did the trick and plenty of my colleagues used it with no issues. That said, I typically used my work's web-based email client for the majority of important communication.

The iWork Suite is more robust than it looks at first glance, to use a more common example. I've used Keynote to make presentations. And Pages is great for word-processing although I need to use my BT keyboard to type at my normal speed. I also quickly discovered that other had already been using their iPads as a laptop replacement for months. This was about a year ago.

That all said, the Apple enterprise solution to bulk app buying is laughable.

John Crichton

First Post
Right.....and marketing has nothing to do with it?
Never said it didn't. Goes on in every industry, too. Marketing is certainly important for getting the word out on a company's product. And all of this is on the companies creating the machines, not the buying public which is what I was responding to as far as who is responsible for creating a competitive market.

I know plenty of people who've bought iPhones and/or iPads *because*. Because they were told it's "what they have to have", and they're "better". What do they actually use them for? Not much.
Some people just have money to burn and don't know what to do with it. Certainly sounds like what's going on with these folks. I bet they also have a bunch of other expensive things sitting around they don't use, too.

Apple's got 10 commercials playing every evening when I watch TV. It's ridiculous. Obviously that generates appetite for the products. When I see 5 Apple commercials in an hour, at some point I just want to pitch my coffee mug at the TV. I mean....ok, I get it. I should want to buy it. It's a magical product that will turn my life around, and make a better cup of java, to boot. I got that message from the last 1000 times I saw the commercial.
To continue my point, this is in no way the consumer's fault if Apple is all they know about depending on how much they are paying attention. Another company needs to jump in and start grabbing just as much airtime with a better product. One has yet to come along.

But Apple absolutely kills it in the apps, and that, I think, is the big difference. Android is just not there with ecosystem. Google's making improvements....if you're living in the U.S. For the rest of us, no, the ecosystem is not there. My tablet absolutely doesn't have the choice in apps I'd have on an iPad. No question. But it's got a lot of great ones.

However.......I've never seen a commercial for my tablet in a year. I've probably been exposed to commercials for the iPad a good 2000 times in the last year. And for my own tablet, the only commercial I've seen is when I went to the manufacturer's website.
And this is completely on the company that makes your tablet. No? It certainly isn't the consumer's fault that companies aren't getting their machines airtime and publicity.

Many people I've talked with won't even TRY something different. It's just "I want an iPad". If I point out they can have one that costs less, has a longer lasting battery, a keyboard that can be attached to it, expandable memory, full control, USB ports to connect to other devices, and a higher resolution screen........they want an iPad. It's just not rational. Same thing with iPhone. They go all giddy over Facetime for the first week, and then never use it again. You ask what apps they have and....they haven't really downloaded any. I've got an iPhone, and easily have 140 apps on it...but the people I know who speak more positively about the phone than I do barely have any. Why is that? Why have the phone if you're not going to use it?
And this personal experience of a massively small sample size makes you think that the millions of iPads that have been sold are handled in the same way? I can counter your experience with one that is nearly opposite. I've had loads of conversations with co-workers, friends and random people coming up to me when I'm out at lunch about the iPad's features, what it does and doesn't do and if it could be right for them. And plenty of those conversations veered into other options. My suggestion most of the time: Go to a Best Buy/Verizon/AT&T store and play with a few tablets then go from there.

Neither one of our experiences represents a majority nor can either be taken as anything more than our experiences. That's it.

It's like the Tickle me Elmo craze, but with computer equipment.
That fad came and went due to demand crushing supply. It's pretty safe to say that tablets have passed the fad phase at this point.

It's just not logical.
Sure it is. The Elmos were in demand because every kid wanted one and every parent wanted their kid to have one and there was buzz behind it during the insane holiday shopping season. It's wiggled and giggled and was cute. Kids really dig that stuff.

And I get your point: You are claiming that millions of people are blowing $500+ a pop for the privilege of having an iPad that will end up in the closet after playing with it for a few weeks. I'd say it's that assumption that isn't logical. All you need to do is poke around the web for all the different things people are using their tablets for. And yes, most of them are iPad users.

I'm not saying that the iPad is bad. It's not. It's a great device. But I AM saying that the case for it being better than its rivals, and that there is really only one viable option for tablets is incorrect. But the public is blasted with so much Apple PR that they don't know the difference. Having $100 Billion or whatever in the bank lets a company buy ALOT of ad time....which only reinforces the problem. They're basically at the point where the success of the product guarantees the further success of the product. Instead of the continued optimal quality of the product guaranteeing the success of it. In the long run that'll hurt consumers.
First, it will only hurt consumers if it's a crummy product that doesn't give them their money's worth. Second, other contenders (Amazon comes immediately to mind) will emerge to keep Apple honest. It's already happened for the 7" eReader market in the form of the Kindle Fire. It's one of the worst-kept secrets in the tech world that Amazon is already well into development of a 10" version to compete directly with the iPad.

John Crichton

First Post
Out of genuine curiosity, what's wrong with it? I've recommended it as a possible solution for one of my clients, based only on what I've read so far. What are its limitations or issues?
Don't get me wrong - It's only laughable for Apple's end! It's terrific for consumers and businesses because there is little to no double-check to see how the apps are being distributed. Buy bulk at a slight discount, hand out the codes and go go go. Wanna clone 20 different iPads on one AppleID with one code and use the other 19 however ya like!? No problem. Lots of assumed trust going on there.

I was shocked at how little accountability they require. I will also say that my information is about 4 months old. Apple could have made a ton of changes in that time.

John Crichton

First Post
Ah, gotcha, good to know. Laughable for developers, then, too. More so than Apple, really.
I imagine the devs still get all the cash to produce the codes for Apple so they pay for them up front. The vibe I got was that the program is an afterthought and will evolve at some point when it's needed.

Felon

First Post
RW data does not back this up.
It does if you know what you need for a device to be of the enterprise caliber, which is not just about applications, but also centralized management and distribution. The impresion I get from you and the other responders indicate is that individuals in your organizations each use it in whatever capacity they personally figure out, and in such a fashion you call it an enterprise device. When Mozilla says that that Firefox isn't an enterprise solution, they aren't saying nobody can use it in their office. They're saying don't be surprised when it doesn't play nice with your web apps and internet security.

At our workplace of 5,000 odd users, we can't use an iPad for most of our applications, because they're managed and are part of a custom image. Even if they're web apps, they require IE. There's stuff that requires secure access. There's icons that have to be applied to desktops. They need virtual apps streamed to them. They might even need to have their device re-imaged on the fly. The list goes on.

In short, like I said, you can use your iWork for fairly generic productivity, but the iOS is a very personal experience.

Seeing as I have several engineers and marketing types and exec level types using iPads daily for various purposes it would seem they are functioning just fine in the enterprise. Keep in mind these are not replacements for their PCs, but devices they use on their journeys through the plant and meetings.
Is there a way that standardization and security are enforced? Or is it that each of them uses it as they see fit?

As you say, it's not a replacement for a PC. More like something that's highly convenient to carry about, and be sync'ed with, say, Outlook. Handy, to be sure, but I'm talking about a solution that's tightly integrated with enterprise practices.

Last edited:

Fast Learner

First Post
It does if you know what you need for a device to be of the enterprise caliber, which is offer up centralized management and distribution, not individuals each using it in whatever capacity they personally find a use for. At our workplace of 5,000 odd users, we can't use an iPad for vendor-supplied applications. Even if they're web apps, they require IE to function. There's stuff that requires secure access. There's icons that have to be applied to desktops. They need virtual apps streamed to them. They might even need to have their device re-imaged on the fly. Long list, really.

While it doesn't meet all of your needs (definitely no IE, your vendors may one day support it but obviously may not now), the enterprise program does provide centralized management and distribution, rules-based lockdown of most features (including keeping individuals from adding apps), a variety of secure access options, the ability to add, update, and remove apps remotely, remote wipe, and re-imaging (not sure if that can be done remotely).

Multiple good VNC clients, as well, that can solve a lot of non-native-solution problems.

Again, not saying it's exactly what you need, but it currently offers a lot more than you think.

Remove ads