D&D General The Three Levels of Culture in a D&D Setting

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I'm reading a really fascinating book (for me, at least) on the brain and culture, and this book argues that "culture" doesn't have just one definition- there are, in fact, three levels of culture.

The first level is Surface Culture. This is the culture that we present to others: dress, language, food, holidays. It has a low emotional charge, so changes don't usually create great anxiety.

The second level is Shallow Culture. This is the unspoken rules of how we relate to others, such as an attitude towards elders, rules of eye contact and personal space, and the nature of friendships. It has a strong personal charge.

The third level is Deep Culture. This encompasses how we perceive the world and morality. It includes the cosmology (view of good or evil) that guides ethics, spirituality, health, and group harmony. It has an intense personal charge.

Reading about these three levels of culture, I started thinking about how I design cultures in my homebrew games. Could I use these three levels to make my homebrew cultures more realized and engaging?

My initial thought is that for each town, city, or country I could quickly sketch out notes on these three levels. I don't have to detail everything, but I could note a few different facets that would make interacting with NPCs of that culture fun or challenging.

For example, I could do something like...

Brightstar

Brightstar is a large seaside city state with a powerful fleet of war ships.

Surface Culture: warm colors (red, yellow, orange, white) in clothes and banners. Holidays based on important ship battles and conquests on the high seas. Wealthy merchants show their power by sharing food and goods with the poor; people in need line up outside the walls of wealthy manors to receive charity.

Shallow Culture: Hierarchy based on wealth, with merchants wielding huge political power. Older family lines of merchants have more power, even if they don't have as much money. Very strict class system based on wealth, with folks only interacting with those of a similar economic level (other than holidays).

Deep Culture: Money is morality; those with wealth make the rules, and can break them without consequences. This is reinforced by ancestor worship, but only for those of wealth- poor folks give alms and worship to the ancestors of wealthy families.

This quick sketch gives me a lot to play with as the characters interact with Brightstar. If the characters are wealthy, they'll have a lot of access to markets and people of power. But those with poor or modest life styles may have disadvantage in dealing with the merchant families.

If the characters have a different Surface Culture (they wear cool colors or aren't familiar with naval history), there won't be too much of an issue. However, if they have a different Shallow Culture (not respecting wealth, or crossing class lines), that's going to cause issues and raise the DC of social interactions. And if they dispute the Deep Culture of Brightstar (not following the commands of wealthy individuals), it's going to cause a big problem. Which, of course, is a lot of fun if the characters are needing to interact with the wealthy Brightstar merchants to further their quest!

So what do you think? Could you use the three levels of culture when designing your own campaign settings, or when preparing your adventures?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Was the iceberg model in this book? Either way I think its helpful to writing up cultures for a setting/adventure. Though id try not to get too generalized or you make a culture feel more like a stereo type monolith.
iceberg.jpg

ichabod

Legned
The first level is Surface Culture. This is the culture that we present to others: dress, language, food, holidays. It has a low emotional charge, so changes don't usually create great anxiety.
This part really throws me off. These things don't strike me as low emotional charge. Imagine trying to get rid of Veteran's Day in America. And what about MLK day? I grew up in Virginia, where it was celebrated as Lee-Jackson-King day (Non-Americans: That's a black civil rights leader and two generals who fought for slavery). Dress is a huge issue right now with the bans on drag shows. And growing up as a punk rocker you learn that people definitely care about how you dress, to the point of violence. Language is another flash point with both the "speak English!" types and the grammar Nazis.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
This part really throws me off. These things don't strike me as low emotional charge. Imagine trying to get rid of Veteran's Day in America. And what about MLK day? I grew up in Virginia, where it was celebrated as Lee-Jackson-King day (Non-Americans: That's a black civil rights leader and two generals who fought for slavery). Dress is a huge issue right now with the bans on drag shows. And growing up as a punk rocker you learn that people definitely care about how you dress, to the point of violence. Language is another flash point with both the "speak English!" types and the grammar Nazis.
Yeah, that struck me in the book as well. I think what they're saying is that it's not the holiday or clothing or language that causes anxiety, it's when an expression of culture counters our own culture of morality or social interaction. So our Shallow Culture and Deep Culture color how we interact with others' Surface Cultures.

However, I would like to focus this discussion on how we can use this concept in D&D!

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I think you are going deeper level than surface is supposed to represent. Surface is just function like wearing pants and shirts, using a public restroom, speaking a common language. The things that are common amongst everyone. The next levels delve deeper. However, your posting is a great example of how nuanced a culture can be at those deeper levels.

aco175

Legend
I would think that much of this is regional as well. While I may be an American, I also see where being in the New England part of America is different than California, Texas or the 'South'. It may be more than speech or accent and go towards how people see America or thoughts on other subjects like the military.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I would think that much of this is regional as well. While I may be an American, I also see where being in the New England part of America is different than California, Texas or the 'South'. It may be more than speech or accent and go towards how people see America or thoughts on other subjects like the military.
I agree, culture is definitely more than regional!

In a D&D setting it would be interesting to do the Three Levels of Culture for an entire kingdom, and then change certain facets for a town, and then change even further facets for different subcultures within the town!

MGibster

Legend
So what do you think? Could you use the three levels of culture when designing your own campaign settings, or when preparing your adventures?
Yeah, I seem to design my cultures with those three depths in mind though I hadn't put it in those words before. But the sad truth is that I don't think most players care about whatever setting I come up with. So I don't put a lot of effort into going deeper than the shallow end of the pool because whatever I come up with is unlikely to come up in game play. Most players are going to use their own modern points of view when playing their characters rather than attempt to role play as someone from a very different culture. Which is fine, and it's one of the reasons I think D&D is so popular.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Interesting idea. Could be a great way to flesh out cultures and races.

Is the book “Culturally Responsive Teaching and The Brain” by Zaretta Lynn Hammond?

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Interesting idea. Could be a great way to flesh out cultures and races.

Is the book “Culturally Responsive Teaching and The Brain” by Zaretta Lynn Hammond?
Yep! It's assigned reading for all the teachers at the school I'll be teaching at next year, although coincidentally the book has been on my shelf for a while.

Remove ads