The Tol Haggerun Prophecy - 3.5 D&D [Ended]

Ambrus

Explorer
Insight said:
Amber, but her barking can be heard in the distance, letting Jacoby know that his steed is close, but currently out of sight.

Jacoby will whistle for Amber and look about confusedly. Zanpher, it was night when I entered the chapel and now it is day. What happened? How much time has passed? Am I dreaming?

Insight said:
"Time's a wastin'," the drakeling says, waiting impetuously for Jacoby to get ready for the departure. Flapping his impossibly small, butterfly-like wings to keep his body hovering, Zanpher sends a few puffs of greenish smoke into the air.

Once Amber returns, Jacoby will saddle her up and repacks his things to depart camp shortly thereafter. Luckily, she seems none the worse for wear and well rested after his prolonged stay in the chapel.

Insight said:
"Looks like you're finally ready to go... good. Let's get moving."

Jacoby, not having slept yet, suppresses a yawn and asks: Are we going to the chapel of "charity"? Is it far?

Insight said:
Jacoby follows Zanpher into the mountains ready to start the next part of this already unique adventure. It is a day's journey into Caedwynn's Pass, and Jacoby and crew are a good half-mile above sea level, into the craggy peaks of the northern reaches of the Viltoe Mountains, a range that forms the de facto border between Mitea and Lurien. It is getting cooler, and the winds up here are stiff and blustery. Luckily, Jacoby was wise enough to bring along supplies for such an eventuality.

OOC: Is "Viltoe" the correct name for the mountains? I thought you'd called them the "Wourn" mountains in a previous post.

Insight said:
The sojourn ends that night as Jacoby and Amber are tired from the mountain trek, and need to stop to camp for the night. Though Zanpher does not admit as such, the drakeling is no more accustomed to this weather and altitude than Jacoby and his dog.

"Well, if we have to stop," Zanpher says, settling on a fallen log. "I might as well tell you a little more about what's going on."

As he is about to speak, Jacoby hears something stirring in nearby foliage. Zanpher takes to the air about the same time, whirling to face the source of the noise, a strange bear that rips forth from the bushes and into the camp!

OOC: What is "strange" about the bear and how big is it? Are we talking Amber-size or Jabberwock-size?

Jacoby, startled, quickly levels his lance at the unusually aggressive animal and steels himself while trying to calm Amber (move action, Ride +5) and prepares to strike the animal if it approaches them aggressively (readying a standard action, Melee Atk: +4 (1d6+2 /19-20/P lance)) while trying to scare off the beast by yelling and waving his shield about (free action)

(If the bear is a brown bear or something crazy like an owlbear and tries to attack, Jacoby will do his best to flee and hopefully outrun it while mounted upon Amber. I assume Zanpher can simply fly out of its reach and so remain out of danger. If it's just a black bear, Jacoby will try to scare it off by yelling. If a battle does ensue, and assuming he can maintain control of Amber, Jacoby will try to use his lance's reach to best effect to keep the beast away while trying to manoeuvre around to continue charging it with his lance and using his mounted combat feat to keep Amber safe. If he can't control Amber, he'll dismount and try to use the knight's sword for maximum damage. If the creature moves out of melee range Jacoby will switch to using his sling. Amber can try making bite attacks if the oppurtunity presents itself.

Last edited:

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Getting closer to the Hobgoblins, Ralan looks at Avrick: "What is it Avrick, what is it you saw?" [OCC: Can Ralan recognize the symbol?]

Ralan will look around to see if there is any immediate danger. If there is, he will stay close to his companions to fight. If he has a few rounds, he will say: "We should check to see if Talia is ok. I saw her head into that ravine". he then signals his companions to follow him.

[OCC 1: Diplomacy : + 6 to convince them, Spot : + 6 & Search : + 5 to find Talia]

[OCC 2: Hey Insight, just FYI, Ralan fights with a morningstar (his heirloom item), not a shortsword. He uses it 2 handed. Thanks!]

Insight

Adventurer
Steve Gorak said:
[OCC 2: Hey Insight, just FYI, Ralan fights with a morningstar (his heirloom item), not a shortsword. He uses it 2 handed. Thanks!]

Oops sorry about that. It's now fixed in the description.

Insight

Adventurer
Misha

Misha Koldun | In the Viltoe Mountains Outside Veltune, Lurien

Evil Ujio said:
Misha looks at his hand, “Interesting,” he says aloud before he tries to clean it up with a makeshift bandage. Once he is satisfied he puts a glove over the hand, just in case, and then returns the maps, he thanks the librarian and then gets astride his loyal steed and starts riding to the destination that Raziel has set before him.

I already know where I must go, he thinks to himself as he rides to his destiny, and hopefully not doom.

Misha rides for the rest of the day, into that blank spot on the map. Just before leaving the Map Reliquary, Misha was smart enough to make a rough copy of that area of the map. He now realizes the usefulness of doing so, as he has no idea where he is.

The air is getting thinner, and Misha's mount is panting with the increased elevation and uneven footing. He may have to go on foot soon.

A storm is coming on the horizon. Misha knows that at this elevation, rain is very likely to turn to snow. He sees a flat area up ahead. He can either stop there and rest or press on and hope the snow storm isn't too bad.

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
Clare

Clare Karaby | Darisant, Lurien

Isida Kep'Tukari said:
Clare gives a tremulous smile to Father Laertes.

"I will pray to her after I prepare Spenzer's body for its final rest," she says with a bowing of her head. She'll try to clean the body and set it to rights, then go see some of the crafters or carpenters about making a coffin for the man. "He was a priest and he carried a terrible burden," she says to them in explaination of who it was for.

"You have our word, good lady," the undertaker says. Hance, the undertaker, also makes his own coffins, and they are of reasonable quality. "We will make for your fallen comrade a fine vessel in which to be interred. He shall be with Our Lady soon enough."

She then returns to the chapel to meditate and pray for guidance.

Mistress Sophia, I pray for wisdom and guidance. I have been charged with helping remove a seductive evil from the land, but I know not where to start. Where shall I go to search for the Chapel of Unity so that I may aid in the dying request of Spenzer?

A warm feeling overcomes Clare as she meditates in prayer. A voice comes into her mind, though it does not come from any external source.

"Clare Karaby," the voice says soothingly and evenly. "Do not tremble in the face of your destiny, for it is written that you shall unite them. You shall be the critical cog in the wheel, and will hold together all that is our one hope against the darkness."

Clare opens her eyes, and sees nothing around her save the dimly lit surroundings of her prayer area.

"Seek the Chapel of Unity, Clare," the voice continues. "Seek it out with Her guidance, and you will find it. Leave this place and all that you know. Seek the Old Man at the Great Bridge. He is one of us. Listen well to his guidance, for he is the gatekeeper on the next leg of your journey to the Chapel of Unity."

The voice is gone. Clare knows down deep that it will say no more. She looks down and opens her right hand to find a single gold coin in the palm. On the coin's face is an eagle, and on the flip side, a crystal shard.

Insight

Adventurer
Shuelsai

Shuelsai Deng | Island of Marvoe, off the Coast of Lurien

James Heard said:
Shuelsai smiles sadly in sympathy, "I'm so sorry for your loss t'nana Neradie. The Mother brings some of us home far sooner than anyone expects. I've lost several wives myself," he adds sadly. He looks up at Moro sheepishly and grins, "The tides and winds, even the moon, what leaves us always returns. Patience is the most important thing of all after a respect for the world around us."

Looking on at the approaching woman, Shuelsai finishes securing the lines to set the anchor and dives into the water.

"You didn't have to wet your skirts t'nana, if I'm going to find that pot of beer I'm going to have to leave her be eventually anyways."

Neradie smirks at Shuelsai's comments. "Beer is no problem here, stranger," she says. "Have your fill. We make our own, and I'm led to believe it's quite good. The womenfolk are not permitted to partake..."

"Here, you can secure your moorings to these hooks," Neradie says, pointing out a set of four giant iron hoops bolted to a rocky reef. "We don't get too many visitors, but these should do for a ship of that size."

As he reaches the shore, Shuelsai tugs the mooring ropes up onto the shore and ties them off.

"In any case, you about to tell me about the mountain?"

"Mount Szim?" Neradie asks. "I suppose that's why you are here. The Hermit did mention we would have a visitor soon. Said this visitor would seek Mount Szim. In fact, the Hermit's been in the tavern recently, hoping you would arrive."

"The Hermit, he is our master brewer, though he rarely makes visits down to the village," Neradie adds. "Mostly keeps to himself, up on Mount Szim, but has been active recently. Keeps saying that the Visitor is coming. Didn't know what he was talking about until now."

Chelsie runs down the length of the clay-colored, packed-sand beach, and into Neradie's waiting arms. "Well, I won't keep you any more, stranger," the mother says, scooping up her daughter. "I'm sure you and the Hermit have much to discuss."

Insight

Adventurer
Jacoby

Jacoby | In the Northwestern Reaches of the Viltoe Mountains, Mitea

Ambrus said:
Jacoby will whistle for Amber and look about confusedly. Zanpher, it was night when I entered the chapel and now it is day. What happened? How much time has passed? Am I dreaming?

"Harumph," Zanpher says in response. "I guess I have to explain everything. Well, you see, time is an illusion, and well..."

"You're not ready for that," the drakeling says, interrupting himself suddenly. "Let's just say that your body isn't going to act like any time passed while you were in the Shrine. I hope that makes sense, cause that's about all I'm gonna say about it."

Once Amber returns, Jacoby will saddle her up and repacks his things to depart camp shortly thereafter. Luckily, she seems none the worse for wear and well rested after his prolonged stay in the chapel.

Jacoby, not having slept yet, suppresses a yawn and asks: Are we going to the chapel of "charity"? Is it far?

"Where did ya get that idea?" Zanpher says, flitting his faerie wings around Jacoby. "Nah, we ain't headed to any 'Chapel of Charity'. I'm just to get you close to your final destination. The final part of the trip is on you, my friend. You'll find what you're looking for... or die trying. You look to be just the type."

OOC: Is "Viltoe" the correct name for the mountains? I thought you'd called them the "Wourn" mountains in a previous post.

OOC: The Wourn Mountains is a small section of the Viltoe range, the part closest to Amberlea.

OOC: What is "strange" about the bear and how big is it? Are we talking Amber-size or Jabberwock-size?

Jacoby, startled, quickly levels his lance at the unusually aggressive animal and steels himself while trying to calm Amber (move action, Ride +5) and prepares to strike the animal if it approaches them aggressively (readying a standard action, Melee Atk: +4 (1d6+2 /19-20/P lance)) while trying to scare off the beast by yelling and waving his shield about (free action)

(If the bear is a brown bear or something crazy like an owlbear and tries to attack, Jacoby will do his best to flee and hopefully outrun it while mounted upon Amber. I assume Zanpher can simply fly out of its reach and so remain out of danger. If it's just a black bear, Jacoby will try to scare it off by yelling. If a battle does ensue, and assuming he can maintain control of Amber, Jacoby will try to use his lance's reach to best effect to keep the beast away while trying to manoeuvre around to continue charging it with his lance and using his mounted combat feat to keep Amber safe. If he can't control Amber, he'll dismount and try to use the knight's sword for maximum damage. If the creature moves out of melee range Jacoby will switch to using his sling. Amber can try making bite attacks if the oppurtunity presents itself.

Jacoby notes that this brown bear, while large and fairly normal looking, is somewhat scrawny, and has a tired look in its eyes. The bear doesn't seem interested in attacking right now, but Amber scurries to get away from the bear just to be on the safe side. Amber is perfectly content to hide behind Jacoby if possible.

Zanpher for his part takes flight, and hovers high enough to be out of the bear's reach, but the drakeling doesn't seem particularly frightened, or even concerned. More annoyed than anything else, but then again, that's his natural state.

As it stands right now, the bear has broken the treeline and is standing about 20' from Jacoby and Amber, and about 30' from the hovering Zanpher. The bear is not making any aggressive moves at the current time, but the animal does seem uneasy. OOC: Sense Motive check on the bear indicates it is NOT acting aggressively at the moment. Spot check indicates a marking of some kind on the bear's chest, or at least a discoloration of the fur. You'd have to get closer to know for sure.

"A friend of yours?" Zanpher asks Jacoby.

HEY THIS IS MY 1,000TH POST!

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
Ralan

Ralan | With the House Myrrkal Caravan, Abils Fields, Lurien

Steve Gorak said:
Getting closer to the Hobgoblins, Ralan looks at Avrick: "What is it Avrick, what is it you saw?" [OOC: Can Ralan recognize the symbol?]

Ralan sees on the hobgoblins' wooden shields an odd symbol painted, that of a pair of hands hovering over a dark-colored gemstone of some kind. Beyond that, Ralan isn't sure what it means. OOC: He does not have the proper Knowledge skill to determine its origin.

Ralan will look around to see if there is any immediate danger. If there is, he will stay close to his companions to fight. If he has a few rounds, he will say: "We should check to see if Talia is ok. I saw her head into that ravine". he then signals his companions to follow him.

[OOC: Diplomacy : + 6 to convince them, Spot : + 6 & Search : + 5 to find Talia]

The battle is still raging, but there is no immediate danger to Ralan or his companions. Ralan is not able to convince the pikeman to stay; he zips off to go bolster a nearby group of defenders. Avrick is certainly willing to stay away from battle.

"You said you saw Talia run off?" Avrick asks. "Lead the way..."

Not sure exactly where Talia went, Ralan goes down into the ravine, which is steep and composed of loose dirt and dead weeds. Needless to say, the footing is uneasy. Avrick and Ralan stumble around the horseshoe shaped ravine until they come to rise, and a forest beyond.

Seeing a scuffle of some kind from within the outskirts of the forest, Ralan rushes over to find Talia and three goblin archers fighting. They are about 150' away from Ralan's current position.

OOC: Spot check reveals that more opponents may be in the woods beyond Ralan's field of vision. Need to get closer to know for sure.

James Heard

Explorer
Shuelsai Deng | Island of Marvoe, off the Coast of Lurien

Thanking Mistress Naradie, Shuelsai tends to his lines and makes his way toward this tavern to seek the Hermit. As he travels he wonders listlessly how she managed to emphasize the stranger's name so effortlessly, as if the word itself rolled off bold from upon her tongue...

:cool:

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
As he's walking, Ralan thinks to himself:"A pair of hands over a gem...just like my dream. It's a sign."

The moment he spots Talia and her situation, Ralan halts and whispers to Avrick: She's in trouble, we need to help her. " Ralan explains that Avrick and him should get closer, split up and flank them. Ralan will get closer to the forest, to dispatch any bad guys he sees and he feels he can take care of himself.

[OCC 1: this is if it's possible to do it in a stealthy way]

If not, Ralan will signal Avrick to come and help Talia, the goal being to go back to the main group.

[OCC 2: Hide : + 3 , Listen : + 6, Move silently : + 3, Search : + 5, Spot : + 6]

Remove ads