The Travesty! The Horror! Male Medusae.

Will you use, or allow summons of, male medusae?

• No, medusae are only female. This is my first house rule.

Votes: 19 7.8%
  • No, medusae are only female. However, this is not my first house rule.

Votes: 45 18.5%
  • Male medusae are ok with me.

Votes: 179 73.7%

• Poll closed .

Voss

First Post
Jer said:
Where's the option for "I'm so old school there's only ONE Medusa in my game. And she's an epic solo."? The plural of "Medusa" has always seemed really, really weird to me for some reason. :)

Personally I'm quite likely to do just that. The absurd number of sentient species running around D&D Land makes me cringe. So if there are things that I really want to use, but are inherently stupid or obnoxious in numbers, they get to be uniques. People cursed by the gods, botched experiments, what have you. The Minotaur, the Medusa, and so on.

Lord Tirian said:
This. Unless they're just making male medusas the same as female ones. Then I'm unhappy. If it's a maedar (regardless of the name), then I'm happy.

Same here, Maedar were one of the first monsters that surprised me in D&D, and that I didn't think were lame, so if they're back, then that's cool. If it's just that some Medusae are dude with snake-dreads, then SIGH.

Terwox

First Post
Jer said:
Where's the option for "I'm so old school there's only ONE Medusa in my game. And she's an epic solo."? The plural of "Medusa" has always seemed really, really weird to me for some reason. :)

This, by the way. Not usually epic-tier though for me.

[Ramble]I tend to have Medusa as per the Greek myth, usually done up with some modern variation or another. In one, she was cursed to remain ugly until she could paint someone more beautiful than she once was -- but she always ended up painting self-portraits.

I guess I was hoping more people had an unnatural fascination with Medusa. Bummer I was wrong.[/Ramble]

I swear if they put a male Rusalka in the game though I'll probably have a nerdy aneurysm.

Kwalish Kid

Explorer
Honestly, we in the fantasy community have got to start taking a good, hard look at the way gender is used in our media. There really isn't any good reason that I can think for continuing to have female-only medusae.

Tervin

First Post
If I had a problem with male medusae I would not even call it a houserule to ignore them. I mean, it is not like people will even notice if some creatures never show up in my campaign. Ok, someone could summon something I don't care for - but that would be from outside of my reality and only be around temporarily.

In truth though, I promote equal opportunity in the "turning to stone" business. Or whatever it is a medusa does these days.

IanB

First Post
Kwalish Kid said:
Honestly, we in the fantasy community have got to start taking a good, hard look at the way gender is used in our media. There really isn't any good reason that I can think for continuing to have female-only medusae.

Absolute agreement. There's a large segment of female-only monsters that could stand a bit of examination in this vein.

Aeolius

Adventurer
IanB said:
Absolute agreement. There's a large segment of female-only monsters that could stand a bit of examination in this vein.

[ YOUTUBE CRYBABY FACE ] Leave Night Hags Alllooooonnneeee!!! [ /YOUTUBE CRYBABY FACE ]

Remove ads