The Travesty! The Horror! Male Medusae.

Will you use, or allow summons of, male medusae?

• No, medusae are only female. This is my first house rule.

Votes: 19 7.8%
  • No, medusae are only female. However, this is not my first house rule.

Votes: 45 18.5%
  • Male medusae are ok with me.

Votes: 179 73.7%

• Poll closed .

The_Pugilist

First Post
Once you realize that D&D pushed mythology down the stairs and then had its way with her, you can learn to accept lots of monsters. :)

Not that it bothers me overly, I think its neat to riff off of classic legends and myths in new ways.

(Too Human 4e would be swell...)

Incenjucar

Legend
I had a pet snake named "Maedar" back when I was a kid, so suffice to say, I'm fine with them.

Frankly I wouldn't mind a "Lesser Medusa" sub-race of cursed humans ala 4E Tieflings. I had one in 2E that had a "Slow" gaze, which is great for archers. Could even make for a decent "cursed elf" race if you're into those.

Maybe a batch of folk who tried to make themselves immortal and immune to poison and disease but ended up just getting the old Desert Giant "slowly turning to stone" trait along with a weak stoning gaze and venomous snake hair.

Last edited:

Pistonrager

First Post
Aeolius said:
Fossergrim. They've been in D&D since the 1e D&DG.

That's it!

though on the other hand I've always thought for a while now that redcaps should be the only male fey, and it's up to them to keep everything else going.which is why they're so angry.

Terwox

First Post
Incenjucar said:
I had a pet snake named "Maedar" back when I was a kid, so suffice to say, I'm fine with them.

Frankly I wouldn't mind a "Lesser Medusa" sub-race of cursed humans ala 4E Tieflings. I had one in 2E that had a "Slow" gaze, which is great for archers. Could even make for a decent "cursed elf" race if you're into those.

This I've done, I liked it.

It was singular character who had seen Medusa but not turned to stone, and was cursed by her in turn -- she could slowly petrify others if she stared at them and concentrated. The rest of the time she wore a veil. Didn't see much play though, it was in a True20 one-shot. It was a cursed orc, though. :)

Aeolius

Adventurer
Pistonrager said:
...people reacted the same way to the idea of a male succubus(the incubus) and it was a problem then too.

The incubus was also in the 1e D&DG, as a shapechanged succubus (see the entry for Merlin).

Terwox

First Post
Pistonrager said:
There is nothing politically correct in assuming a living sentient being has the ability to propagate or indeed that there are two sexes of each type of creature. The real problem isn't gender equality, it's that some people are stuck in the ways of the past. As such people are uncomfortable with change and the idea that things may be different from the way we like them.
<snip>
But feel free to have your medusae spawn however you like, as long as there is a reason for it. Gods or Cultists as long as it's consistent and thematically fits.

Er, why is ~"being stuck in the past" a problem? I prefer female medusae. I read the myth when I was five and it was one of my favorites, and that has resonated with me for a long time. I sympathized with Medusa as a tragic character, and I've tried to reinterpret her in gaming -- albeit always as female. I've daydreamed about writing short stories about modern interpretations of Medusa. Obsession is too strong a word, but she's a favorite character of mine.

I think it would be very irrational for me to alter a monster I'm emotionally attached to as female. :) I'm also influenced by the Piers Anthony Xanth interpretation, read when I was a teenager.

So, yes. A male medusa is a bit of a "Travesty!" to me, and it makes me shake with nerd rage. This fact is fairly funny to me.

As an aside, Medusa does have a bit of a history with feminist interpretation. I googled it after writing the thread -- there's quite a bit more there than I had anticipated. However, that's a bit more of a conversation for Astrid's than for a 4E forum, so I'll leave it at that.

Terwox

First Post
Fossergrim appear to derive from Norse myth, Rusalka are Russian. They appear to be only slightly dissimilar. Could just be a misprint though.

Please let me know if I'm mistaken, I'm going from google and not the actual 1E books. The 3e conversion the Fossergrim from BOZ states it's from Norse myth, and they're carnivores, etc. The 3e Fiend Folio Fossergrim don't mention an origin, but this is usual.

Counterspin

First Post
The_Pugilist said:
Once you realize that D&D pushed mythology down the stairs and then had its way with her, you can learn to accept lots of monsters. :)

Not that it bothers me overly, I think its neat to riff off of classic legends and myths in new ways.

(Too Human 4e would be swell...)

Could you take the time to express this thought without the rape joke? Thanks

Remove ads