• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General The Tyranny of Rarity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
What's so terrible about a DM creating a world that makes sense to them?

Try this - NOBODY said it was "terrible".

So, it is perhaps appropriate to ask - what's so terrible about suggesting that maybe this one bit is something that could be in less of an iron grip?

Oh, you didn't say it was an iron grip, did you? Hm. Isn't that interesting?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Sounds like the player and the DM weren't a good fit. Neither one is obliged to change for the other.
100% what it was.

This. Makes. No. Sense.
Being a High Elf adds a little wizard to your fighter or makes your wizard wizardier.
There isn't a race that adds a little rogue or cleric to your fighter or wizard.
Halfling and Wood Elf just makes you sneaky.

They went with 8 and 1 worked. Sounds like it worked out.
It didn't. He eventually missed half the sessions and his PC became a NPC.
He wasn't excited to play the 1 and tried to tough it out just hang with us.

The point of the story is that someone could have a lot of ideas for a PC and none of them might fit a DM's setting and campaign.
It's very possible that a player doesn't want to play the conceptsthe DM thought of when crafted their world.

The problem there is going into session 0 with characters. One of the primary reasons for session 0 is finding out what the campaign is about so you can make characters that fit.
He went with 7 ideas he wanted to play within the race and class bans.
This was an extreme case because we didn't know race/class combination restrictions until after and my friend was bored of traditional PC at the time.

I came with over ten and most of my options were allowed.

There's nothing wrong with coming to Session 0 with a bunch of pregens if you don't cheat.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
why not just have the players curate the setting?
Nothing. Nothing at all. I've run games like Inspectres where the players even direct the adventure/story in a very yes-and improv fashion. It is a lot of fun.

But it is also a lot of fun to build a world and enjoy players exploring it through characters that are coherent with that world. Nothing wrong with that choice either. Nothing at all.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Curious whether anyone in this discussion has ever run a campaign where players were given pre-generated characters. Not a one-shot. Not a convention game or a tournament game, but a campaign.

Back in the 80s we did this a number of times. A DM would create a bunch of characters that tied into the story and setting and the only player choice was a discussion of who would play which characters.

As a player I enjoyed these quite a bit. Trying to bring to life and role-play a pre-gen exercises different creative muscles.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Curious whether anyone in this discussion has ever run a campaign where players were given pre-generated characters. Not a one-shot. Not a convention game or a tournament game, but a campaign.
Closest I've ever done to this was a single adventure that took us half a dozen sessions to get through: we played Tomb of Horrors once and used some of the pre-gens in the module.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
He went with 7 ideas he wanted to play within the race and class bans.
This was an extreme case because we didn't know race/class combination restrictions until after and my friend was bored of traditional PC at the time.

I came with over ten and most of my options were allowed.

There's nothing wrong with coming to Session 0 with a bunch of pregens if you don't cheat.
Sure, but if you don't know then you might find most or all of your prepared PCs are wasted time. Spending time to make 7 or 10 characters is longer than the time to make 1, so you're not really saving time. Maybe you get a lot of enjoyment out of just making characters, but to me it's much better to spend time making 1 PC after you find out the creation limitations than to spend time making 7 or 10 and only find a few to be usable.

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
Try this - NOBODY said it was "terrible".

So, it is perhaps appropriate to ask - what's so terrible about suggesting that maybe this one bit is something that could be in less of an iron grip?

Oh, you didn't say it was an iron grip, did you? Hm. Isn't that interesting?
People have stated that people that curate worlds give them an "icky" feeling. That such people are control freaks and dictators. Not everyone of course. Then we get odd out of the blue insinuations about "iron grips". When you keep answering the exact same question of why I, personally, curate my world again and again and again it's no longer people just asking a question. It's bordering on badgering.

We've had more than 20 pages of people who curate their worlds saying that if you allow any race, cool. If you build a new campaign world every 6 months as a collaborative effort, awesome. But some people, as both DM and player don't want collaborative world building for reasons given repeatedly. For some people like me, kitchen sink worlds don't make a lot of sense unless there's justification for it. For others it's just a thematic choice for a specific campaign and part of the story their trying to build.

I'm perfectly fine with people talking about why they allow anything. It's interesting to hear about how people build collaborative worlds even if I wouldn't want to. But I've never insinuated that people who allow any race are wishy-washy or somehow letting the players run all over them. I don't repeatedly ask the same poster "But why don't you curate races?"

Why the double standard?

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
Why the double standard?

There will, of course, be no answer to this, because it's blatantly unjustifiable. None will dare to plainly admit that this is their opinion (though it is—the thread title calls it "tyranny," for crying out loud!). And so we'll get the same circumlocutions and bad-faith arguments that we got the last time this topic spiraled into a hundred-page thread.

hawkeyefan

Legend

Back in the 80s we did this a number of times. A DM would create a bunch of characters that tied into the story and setting and the only player choice was a discussion of who would play which characters.

As a player I enjoyed these quite a bit. Trying to bring to life and role-play a pre-gen exercises different creative muscles.

My group and I have done this a couple different ways over the years, to varying degrees of success.

In one case I can think of, I crafted a whole slew of first level characters for the players to pick from. I made at least one for every class, and each had pre-existing connections to the setting. Very different from the way I approach things now, but the goal was to have characters who felt like a part of the world instead of the typical murder-hobos. This went over with mixed results. Some of the players quite liked it…they felt they had a lot to work with as far as motivations for their character and connections to the world. Two players disliked it. They felt like they were simply adopting a role in a story I’d already written. And although I think there was still plenty of decisions for them to make, and ways for them to go about things, I don’t blame them for feeling that way.

Another time, we collectively crafted a starting area and populated it with tons of potential PCs. Each player made a variety of characters. Each character had a place in the setting, and connections to other characters, and goals for what they wanted. We also each designed a few NPCs for the starting area, and then the excess PCs also became NPCs. We chose PCs randomly. The result was that everyone felt very invested in the starting location and the people there. The characters were all more fleshed out and well rounded than many NPCs tend to be. And the players were all satisfied with their PCs, although if anyone wasn’t, they had the option to replace them with one of the unselected characters if they wanted.

These two examples are a big part of what helped me get over my stance that “the GM builds the world”. While that approach can be perfectly satisfying, I found my group much more invested when they were more involved in the process. And I found myself much more invested. It was like a feedback loop…their interest fueled my own, which fueled theirs….and so on. It was one of our best campaigns of D&D, and pretty unanimously so.

I think the reason that there is some conflict in this thread is because many of us who want the players more involved in the world building used to not feel that way. Certainly the OP describes such an evolution. People seem a bit too focused on being offended by the word “tyranny” instead of absorbing the elaboration from the OP and subsequent posts.

I think that with that kind of shift in thinking, it’s hard not to think of it as growth or progress. So when you then discuss it with people who don’t agree with that…but who also don’t seem to have spent much time actually trying what you’re describing…it can seem a bit limiting. Not entirely fair, of course, but it can be hard to not feel that way.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Yep. My very first D&D game was of this form. It isn't my favorite way to play these days, but it can work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads