• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Unwritten Rules of RPG's

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If a player, just before rolling, says "I only fail if I roll a #" that number or lower will show up on the d20.

I have been on the losing end of a sequence of rolls- requiring "1s" on d20s and d100s- that a mathematician buddy of mine declared were longer odds than winning the PowerBall lottery.

And yes, before each roll, I uttered that phrase.

Hautamaki

First Post
Always carry enough healing potions to pick up the cleric's slack if he's the one to drop first, and spread them around the party members. My group got effed in the a last night when they realized that all 9 of their backup healing potions were in packs on the pack horse in the middle of a deadly battle =p

Once you can afford it, every character should have a Potion of Cure Light Wounds. It should be accessible, and every other party member should be well-aware of its location. If you follow this rule, those Heal checks on DC15 at the end of battles should be a lot rarer than they were at 1st level.

(Applies to 3e/3.5e and Pathfinder. Other rule sets may very. Check with your cleric or alchemist before taking Potions of Cure Light Wounds to determine if you are able to have adventures. If you adventure for more than 4 hours, seek immediately clerical attention as you are likely to be wounded or unconscious. Do not operate heavy machinery while playing D&D.)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
(Applies to 3e/3.5e and Pathfinder. Other rule sets may very. Check with your cleric or alchemist before taking Potions of Cure Light Wounds to determine if you are able to have adventures. If you adventure for more than 4 hours, seek immediately clerical attention as you are likely to be wounded or unconscious. Do not operate heavy machinery while playing D&D.)

Not valid in AK, TN, HI, or Lithuania.

Kafen

First Post
I have a few for monks in d20...

- Guest players running NPCs will result in a ghast monk roughly thirty minutes after assuming control of the NPC.

- Epic monks during prison break scenes at the start of an Epic campaign are fun for the players, only. The GM crying in the corner is crying.

- Disarming monks via maiming is fun with oozes as monsters.

For clerics in d20...

- Some people are not allowed to play clerics. People tend to enjoy healing over summoning creatures for some reason.

- Healing potions that taste like vinegar are great Magical Chef items.

- Healing potions that taste like vinegar are hard to tell apart from the vinegar bottle in the chef bag.

For arcanes in d20...

- Rats take ranks in spellcraft. They will notice the goblin hiding in the corner casting fireballs at them and attack the caster over all other party members.

- Goblins keep scrolls in strange places.

For barbarians in d20...

- Pixie barbarians are silly things until they obtain Cleave.

Last edited:

Stormonu

Legend
If the NPC offers a generous reward before negotiating, he's really the BBEG.

Halflings make the best trap detectors when first thrown.

Plan A should never involve a frontal assault.

Last edited:

Remove ads