D&D General The Venn Diagram of D&D and Magic: the Gathering Players

Which statement best describes your Wizards of the Coast relationship?

• I only play D&D.

Votes: 81 53.3%
  • I play D&D mostly, but I play a bit of M:tG also.

Votes: 24 15.8%
  • I play both D&D and M:tG regularly.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I mostly play M:tG, but I play a bit of D&D also.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I only play M:tG.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't regularly play either of these games.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I play D&D now, but I used to play a lot of M:tG

Votes: 30 19.7%
  • I play M:tG now, but I used to play a lot of D&D

Votes: 1 0.7%

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Wizards of the Coast has two flagship games: Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) and Magic: the Gathering (M:tG). (They might have others, I haven't checked, but these two are by far the most popular of their offerings.) These two games have recently begun to overlap, first with their free line of Plane Shift books (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6), and later with the release of new D&D campaign settings rooted in M:tG lore (Strixhaven, Ravnica, Theros).

I know that there is some overlap between Magic players and D&D players, because that's me. I'm such a person. But am I the only one?

The purpose of this poll is to measure the overlap of D&D players and Magic players. Vote for the option that best describes you, and leave a comment if you need to embellish or add nuance to your vote.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
A little extra nuance: I voted that I play both regularly, per my original post above. But that's not to say I play both equally. It's been months since I've sat down to play a game of Magic, and even longer since I've built a deck, but I play D&D every week.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I play D&D about every month (moving to 2x month, hopefully shortly).

I USED to play MTG a lot, but my cards are mostly just collecting dust now (tried out Arena, played religiously for a bit even got ranked pretty high - but it was taking way too much time, so quit and haven't played at all in some time).

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
If you were to graph the amount of D&D I play and the amount of MtG I play over time, they would probably appear to be inversely-correlated. Used to play it a ton, like 10-15 years ago. Gradually started playing less of it, and also started playing more D&D. Now I only play MtG occasionally, and D&D is like my main hobby.

Mad_Jack

Legend
Well, I'm not currently playing either of them, but used to do both.

I've played D&D since I was ten, back in the Basic days. Played every edition except 5th because I haven't had a schedule that would let me commit to a game.

I got into M:tG way back during my first attempt at college during the Revised era and was pretty heavily into it for nearly a decade after that, but then I stopped playing because I just didn't have the money to invest in it and no one to play with. I ended up selling most of my good cards to pay for several semesters of college during my second try at getting a degree. Most of the rest of my cards got water-damaged and moldy during a flooded basement years later, because a family member of mine had decided to store a bunch of my gaming stuff and miniatures in a downstairs closet without my consent.
I haven't really kept up on the game, other than what I hear from my friend's son who currently plays. I gave him all of my remaining cards that hadn't gotten water damaged.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I have played Magic, but I haven't bought a card or played an actual game since 1996.

Despite that, I like the D&D M:tG books quite a bit (well, I love Ravnica, Theros is cool, and Strixhaven is kind of eh).

Also despite that, I adore the aesthetics of the MtG color wheel and wish the D&D offerings had done more mechanically to lean into that flavor. I would love to see a take on D&D with the caster classes mirroring the 5 Magic colors (wizards use blue magic, clerics use white, etc.)

jgsugden

Legend
I play D&D about every month (moving to 2x month, hopefully shortly).

I USED to play MTG a lot, but my cards are mostly just collecting dust now (tried out Arena, played religiously for a bit even got ranked pretty high - but it was taking way too much time, so quit and haven't played at all in some time).
Same here. I wish the poll had an option for plays D&D, used to play M:tG a lot.

I played both a lot for a while, but M:tG is essentially a rarely played board game for me now. D&D is my main hobby (with board games in second position).

I was a '3 booster box' guy between late 1994 and 1999. I'd play in all the sealed tournaments I could find, and was ranked near the top for a long while. I dropped back to the occasional sealed event for the next several years, and then dropped out of the scene entirely when the DDM (Dungeons and Dragons Miniatures) sets started to be released in 2003. If I was going to drop that type of money on a game, I wanted figures that would last a lifetime.

Since 2003 I've bought one booster box (Adventures in the FR) plus about 30 boosters. I also got one land vault as the lands in my M:tG collection disappeared along the way - I think I lent them to a friend that was still playing and he kept them.

I still love the game, but it requires two heavy investments: Money and time. My money is better spent elsewhere, and my time is devoted to other pursuits. As my kids get older I plan to break out my collection of fun decks and teach them the basics - but I'll wait until they're earing their own allowances so that they do not use my cash for the cards they want.

Remove ads