D&D General The Venn Diagram of D&D and Magic: the Gathering Players

Which statement best describes your Wizards of the Coast relationship?

• I only play D&D.

Votes: 81 53.3%
  • I play D&D mostly, but I play a bit of M:tG also.

Votes: 24 15.8%
  • I play both D&D and M:tG regularly.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I mostly play M:tG, but I play a bit of D&D also.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I only play M:tG.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't regularly play either of these games.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I play D&D now, but I used to play a lot of M:tG

Votes: 30 19.7%
  • I play M:tG now, but I used to play a lot of D&D

Votes: 1 0.7%

Stormonu

Legend
I know the basics of play and own some cards (as much Battlebond and Kaldheim as I could get my hands on…), but don’t really like to play. For the longest time, I blamed the MtG game for “killing” D&D, though in reflection TSR seemed to pretty much have actually done that themselves. You can imagine that I got real upset for a while when Wizards bought TSR, though 3E pretty much soothed my attitude towards them. Funnily enough, I bought the Theros, Ravnica & Strixhaven D&D books - good lore, just no desire to play the card game version.

My brother is pretty deep into the game; he’s made Top 8 in the past. My eldest son plays it a bit, but just casually - if I ever got roped into playing, it was with him, hence my large Battlebond and Kaldheim collection.

As for my wife, she has a complete set of Portal…and all the Unhinged sets. But she doesn’t play MtG, just collects.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I used to play a ton of Magic and D&D way back in the day. Now I participate in the occasional draft with friends, but overwhelmingly it's D&D that gets my time.

Haplo781

Legend
Played MtG 1995-1998, 2000-2002, and a bit in 2013. D&D 3.5 a bit around 2006, 2007 or so, 4e off and on 2008-2015, 4e and 5e online since... I dunno, late 2021, early this year?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I play D&D. I used to play MtG decades ago, but the treadmill got to be too much.
Exactly why I stopped playing regularly. Now I mostly play spellslingers, which is based on MtG rather than being a direct port. I've thought of looking back at MtG arena, I had a MtG online account as well, not even sure if that one is still going.

I had a "friend" who was my introduction to both MtG and D&D. Both went horribly and it would've been real easy to never pick up either again. Fortunately, I got back into D&D because the idea of world building, adventuring, and DMing are awesome. Instead of going back to MtG I just bought tons of board games and have never looked back.

I don't play either anymore. While I did play D&D a lot way back in the day, I tried MtG once... and just didn't see the appeal of it. For that matter, I just generally don't care for any collectible card game. That's just me though, and I get that a lot of people are passionate about them. And of course, I'm grateful that WOTC was able to rescue D&D....

JEB

Legend
A friend tried to get me into it, and my brother and other friends have played it, but it just never clicked with me. Couldn't tell you why; I've played other CCGs over the years, and what I know of the lore isn't unappealing.

Osgood

Adventurer
I played Magic 2 or 3 times over the years, every time I thought it was extremely boring (as in what do you mean it was only 30 minutes? it felt like 2 excruciating hours). I really don’t get the appeal.

Remove ads