D&D General The Venn Diagram of D&D and Magic: the Gathering Players

Which statement best describes your Wizards of the Coast relationship?

• I only play D&D.

Votes: 81 53.3%
  • I play D&D mostly, but I play a bit of M:tG also.

Votes: 24 15.8%
  • I play both D&D and M:tG regularly.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I mostly play M:tG, but I play a bit of D&D also.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I only play M:tG.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't regularly play either of these games.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I play D&D now, but I used to play a lot of M:tG

Votes: 30 19.7%
  • I play M:tG now, but I used to play a lot of D&D

Votes: 1 0.7%

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I put...

I play D&D mostly, but I play a bit of M:tG also.​

But it's not even CLOSE. I play D&D a couple of times a week IRL and a couple of times a day (if you count my PBP games here on ENWorld.)

... and I play Magic a couple of times a year.

Larnievc

Hero
Wizards of the Coast has two flagship games: Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) and Magic: the Gathering (M:tG). (They might have others, I haven't checked, but these two are by far the most popular of their offerings.) These two games have recently begun to overlap, first with their free line of Plane Shift books (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6), and later with the release of new D&D campaign settings rooted in M:tG lore (Strixhaven, Ravnica, Theros).

I know that there is some overlap between Magic players and D&D players, because that's me. I'm such a person. But am I the only one?

The purpose of this poll is to measure the overlap of D&D players and Magic players. Vote for the option that best describes you, and leave a comment if you need to embellish or add nuance to your vote.
I've never played Magic.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
MtG came out just as I was starting college. I remember really disliking the whole idea of it. I saw it as reducing D&D to a card game. I never played it, so was not an informed opinion, but it just didn't interest me at all. Around the same time I stopped gaming as life took me in other directions. Fast forward to 2010s. My sons got into Pokemon. Seemed like kids in grade school were mostly trading the cards rather than playing the game, but I learned the game and enjoyed playing with my kids. But the whole collectible card game and random blister packs just rub me the wrong way. I was glad when my kids grew out of it. I much prefer card games like smash up where you can buy different packs, know exactly what you are getting, and whatever two decks you smash up are pretty fairly balanced against whatever two decks the other players combine.

My younger son and his friends are now getting into Magic the Gathering. Sigh. But I support it. Brings more money to the company making the game I DO like. :).

I quite liked Ravnica and would be happy to see more MtG settings come to D&D. I don't know anything about its other settings, but Ravnica was a fun read and it was nice to have a new setting that wasn't just rehashing classic D&D settings.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
MtG came out just as I was starting college. I remember really disliking the whole idea of it. I saw it as reducing D&D to a card game. I never played it, so was not an informed opinion, but it just didn't interest me at all. Around the same time I stopped gaming as life took me in other directions. Fast forward to 2010s. My sons got into Pokemon. Seemed like kids in grade school were mostly trading the cards rather than playing the game, but I learned the game and enjoyed playing with my kids. But the whole collectible card game and random blister packs just rub me the wrong way. I was glad when my kids grew out of it. I much prefer card games like smash up where you can buy different packs, know exactly what you are getting, and whatever two decks you smash up are pretty fairly balanced against whatever two decks the other players combine.

My younger son and his friends are now getting into Magic the Gathering. Sigh. But I support it. Brings more money to the company making the game I DO like. :).

I quite liked Ravnica and would be happy to see more MtG settings come to D&D. I don't know anything about its other settings, but Ravnica was a fun read and it was nice to have a new setting that wasn't just rehashing classic D&D settings.
I come bearing good news for you as a parent, WotC ripped off Smash Up:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
My wife and I had a date night that involved a trip to The Getty yesterday and I came across this. Magic and D&D together! Seemed like an appropriate thread to share it in.

20220910_164821.jpg

20220910_164829.jpg

Voadam

Legend
I put...

I play D&D mostly, but I play a bit of M:tG also.​

But it's not even CLOSE. I play D&D a couple of times a week IRL and a couple of times a day (if you count my PBP games here on ENWorld.)

... and I play Magic a couple of times a year.
Similar.

I enjoy Magic and the Magic lore and art a lot.

My friends got into Magic for a while so I played plenty of games early on through the 90s and then I was around different people who did not play so that was that. I never bought a card myself until I got some decks for my son to try it out maybe a decade ago. We played a few games but he never got into it. I might have read one of the early novels or short story anthologies.

I have all the 5e Planeshift PDFs and I got Strixhaven as a gift. I would love a Dominara 5e lorebook or Phyrexia stuff. I liked the early Urza storyline, the five colors with their themes, and elements like Serra Angels and such.

I have played a lot of D&D. Before, during, and after the period I was playing Magic.

Remove ads