D&D General The Venn Diagram of D&D and Magic: the Gathering Players

Which statement best describes your Wizards of the Coast relationship?

• I only play D&D.

Votes: 81 53.3%
  • I play D&D mostly, but I play a bit of M:tG also.

Votes: 24 15.8%
  • I play both D&D and M:tG regularly.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I mostly play M:tG, but I play a bit of D&D also.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I only play M:tG.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't regularly play either of these games.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I play D&D now, but I used to play a lot of M:tG

Votes: 30 19.7%
  • I play M:tG now, but I used to play a lot of D&D

Votes: 1 0.7%

the Jester

Legend
I only play D&D now. Went through a period of heavy Magic between about the Dark and about Ice Age, but it took too much time away from my D&D game and prep time.

Bupp

Adventurer
Passionate player of both. Started playing Magic pretty close to the beginning, and took a multi-decade break from both.

When I started teaching my children D&D back during the Next playtest, one of them mentioned Magic and I pulled my dusty box of cards from out of the closet. Been in the deep end of both ever since.

I like "crossing the streams" and use a lot of Magic lore in my D&D games.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I played Magic 2 or 3 times over the years, every time I thought it was extremely boring (as in what do you mean it was only 30 minutes? it felt like 2 excruciating hours). I really don’t get the appeal.
I mean, if it took you a whole half hour to play a game of Magic, I can see why the appeal wasn’t clear: a match of Magic is usually more like 10 minutes. The appeal is that it is complex enough to stimulate similar centers as Chess or Poker, but also really quick and easy to play.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I primarily play D&D, amd have done so for about 17 years now. I have intermittently played Magic, have enough cards to have some fun hands anytime the mood strikes us, got way into Arena for a while at the height of the pandemic.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
MtG suffered from the opposite of what happened to D&D: Card flopping was really hurt by not being able to do it in person. Arena is just not the same.
Theoretically, that is plausible...however, in fact Magic sales and play exploded during the pandemic to all time heights. Turns out the primary way people play Magic is at home at the kitchen table, sceapptogether cards bought as impulse purchases at Target, WalMart or CVS Pharmacy. And people had a lot of time to spend at their kitchen table, and still had to go to Target, WalMart, and CVS Pharmacy...

Also, Arena literally doubled WotC's income overnight when it hit mobile. It does very well for itself.

Remove ads