D&D General The Venn Diagram of D&D and Magic: the Gathering Players

Which statement best describes your Wizards of the Coast relationship?

• I only play D&D.

Votes: 81 53.3%
  • I play D&D mostly, but I play a bit of M:tG also.

Votes: 24 15.8%
  • I play both D&D and M:tG regularly.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I mostly play M:tG, but I play a bit of D&D also.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I only play M:tG.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't regularly play either of these games.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I play D&D now, but I used to play a lot of M:tG

Votes: 30 19.7%
  • I play M:tG now, but I used to play a lot of D&D

Votes: 1 0.7%

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I played a bit of MTG in the early 2000s, but I didn't like what it did to my friends - they became hyper competitive, it got toxic. So I gave up - I much prefer RPGs anyway.

Lycurgon

Adventurer
I played MtG for a while back in the '90s, but haven't played since then, but have played D&D since the '80s.
I really should find my cards and do something with them.

Shiroiken

Legend
What's funny is I got away from the cardboard crack many, many years ago, but recently started playing again on Arena. My issue has primarily been the cost, and while it's harder to do so, you can play Arena for free.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Putting this into the D&D forum might skew things... a little.

I know that's an extreme stance to take. But asking people who hang out specifically on a D&D forum if they only play Magic the Gathering and not D&D is -probably- gonna be slightly biased.

Exactly. This is a textbook example of what the statisticians call 'selection bias'.

As a fun topic of discussion rather than a scientific paper, though, nothing wrong with it. :)

For my part, I never played Magic. I figured I could plan ahead for each D&D book purchase (and God did I love reading them), but Magic was a potentially neverending drain of financial resources. So I steered clear. (Yeah, that's how I thought at the age of 14. I wound up driving the same car for 20 years.)

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Exactly. This is a textbook example of what the statisticians call 'selection bias'.

As a fun topic of discussion rather than a scientific paper, though, nothing wrong with it. :)

For my part, I never played Magic. I figured I could plan ahead for each D&D book purchase (and God did I love reading them), but Magic was a potentially neverending drain of financial resources. So I steered clear. (Yeah, that's how I thought at the age of 14. I wound up driving the same car for 20 years.)
If anyone knows of a M:tG equivalent of ENWorld, please point me to a link. I'd love to see what this survey looks like from the perspective of a mostly Magic-playing audience.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I mean, if it took you a whole half hour to play a game of Magic, I can see why the appeal wasn’t clear: a match of Magic is usually more like 10 minutes. The appeal is that it is complex enough to stimulate similar centers as Chess or Poker, but also really quick and easy to play.
10 minutes seems like a really long time for Modern, and a half hour seems like a really short time for EDH over some beers...

Remove ads