The Walking Dead

Klaus

First Post
Ah, but there is a subtle difference that sets these zombies apart from all others, and its a very dangerous difference: they go quiescent.

In all other zombie fiction I can think of except the movie Shock Waves, zombies are more or less in constant motion. This makes them visible.

In contrast, these zombies will occasionally "rest", which means you can walk right by one and not notice until it's chasing you down- we've seen this a few times, especially in the streets, as dormant ones clamber out of busses and cars to attack the living.

So while there doesn't seem to be the risk of "Poof, Horde!" (a phrase that requires careful punctuation), there is always the risk of one or more undetected ones popping up wherever he dead may be found.

In a sense, it's like submarines hunting a convoy. They don't need a Sherriff, they need a Navy officer!
In the comic
there are two types of zombies. The "walkers" will constantly walk about towards the last thing that caught its attention. If it hears a gunshot to the north, it will walk to the north until something else catches its attention. Then there are the "lurkers", which lay mostly dormant until a human gets close. After the human moves a few paces back, the lurker will return to dormancy

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Now that was a stupid ending -
get into the CDC only to have it blow up. It was bad enough they made the place Umbrella, with voice computer but to blow it up after they got there; dumb.

Crothian

First Post
They had to leave the group alone and not safe. I think it would have b een better for the story since the next part is a year away to let them have a small victory and stay in the CDC for a little while, like till season two episode one. :D

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
Gotta wonder what the scientist guy whispered in his ear near the end there. A lead on a place to go?

I though the "oh God we're all gonna die" part of their dillemma was well acted and convincing, though the situation was contrived. Why let them in in the first place, if only to die with you less than a day later? And would the CDC really only have backup power for a month if they were going to run that much power-draining high tech gear? A sensible backup system should have lasted at least a year at full capacity, not a month with one guy. It's sure as hell a good thing he told the kids not to fire up the wii console!

But again, the show's about the characters, and the characters were convincing, from Shane's drunken meltdown to Jaqui's decision to stay and be incinerated. The show's only worth watching if the Zombie mayhem is the circumstance under which genuine character development takes place, and on this score it was done well. I don't see things ending well for Shane though. But I suppose as things stand right now, it's not ending well for any of them.

Last edited:

Joker

First Post
Gotta wonder what the scientist guy whispered in his ear near the end there. A lead on a place to go?

Maybe that the pathogen is airborne. Or that despite that these people are your friends, if zombies are chasing you, trip one of them.

I suppose we won't find out for a long time.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Utterly pointless. If they didn't know what synapses were, what possible usable information did they really think they were going to get? Blah.

Didn't really care if Building Code Lady stayed; I still don't even know her name. For a second, I actually thought the show might kill Andrea and Dale, so I guess that was well-played.

I hope Key Dropper doesn't take the place of Tyrese in the show. For one thing, I don't know his name either.

For the record, what Jenner most likely told Rick (fairly major spoiler):
Everyone is infected with the zombie virus, even those who aren't bitten. Anyone who dies, almost no matter how, becomes a zombie. Zombie bites only cause the fever, which then kills you.

Ahnehnois

First Post
The "science" part of it was nonsense, but that's pretty much par for the course. They didn't seem to define "syanpse" accurately, and the imaging is not reflective of any real technology I'm aware of.

That aside, it was a dramatic conclusion and gives the show a good kickoff point for whenever it starts up again.

dravot

First Post
I though the "oh God we're all gonna die" part of their dillemma was well acted and convincing, though the situation was contrived. Why let them in in the first place, if only to die with you less than a day later? And would the CDC really only have backup power for a month if they were going to run that much power-draining high tech gear? A sensible backup system should have lasted at least a year at full capacity, not a month with one guy. It's sure as hell a good thing he told the kids not to fire up the wii console!

The doctor was whacked, in his own way. He had accepted death, and preferred going out in the explosion to anything on the outside. He assumed that Rick and company would agree.

From what the doctor said, the CDC was set to protect itself against an act of terrorism - I doubt that they would have expected the place to be self-sustaining for more than a day or two.

Krug

Newshound
Ending just felt rather meh. OK let them in then shove them out again. Scientist guy turning crazy? Uhhuh and the explosion seemed rather convenient... again. I'm guessing he told Rick
his wife's pregnant.
My main gripe that it was this episode was almost done to undo the last ep, so most of it was a waste of time.

Remove ads