The 'Wonderland'-Inspired Faces of the RAGE OF DEMONS

Take a peek at some of the art from D&D's upcoming Rage of Demons storyline. This art is by Richard Whitters, who is the art director for D&D and used to work as a concept artist for Magic: the Gathering. WotC's Chris Perkins has indicated that one of the influences on Rage of Demons was Alice in Wonderland, and I think the influence is clear when you look at the characters below.

Take a peek at some of the art from D&D's upcoming Rage of Demons storyline. This art is by Richard Whitters, who is the art director for D&D and used to work as a concept artist for Magic: the Gathering. WotC's Chris Perkins has indicated that one of the influences on Rage of Demons was Alice in Wonderland, and I think the influence is clear when you look at the characters below.

CEXkKiqUsAADuq1.jpg

OUGALOP, kuo-toa cave cricket catcher extraordinaire.

CEXk_2UUIAA18QX.jpg

YUK YUK and SPIDERBAIT, goblin adrenaline junkies.

CEXlbDRUUAA1KJG.jpg
CEXlbDVUIAAjx2O.jpg
CEXlbHxVEAEU5nF.jpg
CEXlbKQUUAAQxoA.jpg

THE SOCIETY OF BRILLIANCE, the Mensa of the Underdark.

CEXlz0NVIAIsi3J.jpg

GLABBAGOOL, awakened gelatinous cube.

CEXmWjDUUAA95l4.jpg

RUMPADUMP and STOOL, myconid followers.

CEXm0_fUsAATIyA.jpg

PRINCE DERENDIL, a quaggoth who thinks he's elven royalty.

CEXnNiIUkAAMyaR.jpg
CEXnNikVEAA7aHI.jpg

TOPSY and TURVY, svirfneblin wererat siblings.

CEXnxQ4VEAAilzD.jpg

THE PUDDING KING, svirfneblin devotee (i.e., flunky) of Juiblex the Faceless Lord.

CEWVicQUMAA4Xqu.jpg

D&D's "Legion of Doom." What a wonderful bunch of malcontents.

stinkomandx

First Post
I LOVE IT.

My original post entirely mixed up Oz and Wonderland, but I like how reminiscent some of this stuff is compared to the scarier parts of Oz too.

GLABBAGOOL FOR PRESIDENT.

WAIT.

A wounded Drizzt, left near death after facing a horde of demons and barely escaping with his life, stumbles into a gelatinous cube's tunnel, where he is devoured. All the magical crap he has on him reacts strangely with the acid and the result is GLABBAGOOL, THE GELATINOUS CUBE WHO THINKS HE IS DRIZZT DO'URDEN.

All future Salvatore novels stare Glabbagool, who is completely oblivious to the fact that he is not a dual-scimitar wielding dark elf, and any Drizzt appearances in the AP will have the players interacting with the delusional ooze.

That is so excellent, it doesn't matter if it only ever shows up in my home campaign, it is now officially canon in all D&D campaigns throughout time and space.

Don't think the plot will be very Alice in Wonderland like. It seems that Perkins meant he was going for a feel of bizarre otherworldliness and off-kilter humor inspired by Carroll: or perhaps, Gygax (not known as the most serious or grimdark of DMs...).
Meh, I'm still okay with it. What I want are quality adventures, so a strong theme is a good step. (I'm still feelin' the sting from Tyranny of "Arbitrarily-parade-through-the-Sword-Coast-and-fight-the-most-iconic-wyrms-evar!!1!".)

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Topsy and Turvy = Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum?

attachment.php
attachment.php

374338_1267288932692_400_267.jpg

This looks fun. As in, I think I want someone else to DM it so I can play it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Nebulous

Legend
See, the artwork is so evocative it is already inspiring campaign ideas in people without reading a word of the plot! Well done, Wizards.

neobolts

Explorer
This looks fantastic! The gonzo Friday night with an open bar kind of gaming I love. The right mix of dumb and dangerous!

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
All future Salvatore novels stare Glabbagool, who is completely oblivious to the fact that he is not a dual-scimitar wielding dark elf, and any Drizzt appearances in the AP will have the players interacting with the delusional ooze.
"That's not a dark elf, that's a gelatinous cube!"

<theme song>
Glabbagool, what's the matter with you?
You don't act like the other cubes do
You wear a disguise to look like dark elf guys
But you're not a drow, you're a gelatinous cube
<end theme song>

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads