D&D 5E Theory Crafting fun: Max AC with Standard Array, without Feats, and without GM provided magic items?

Using dodge would be another way to combine haste and enemy disadvantage an it is character controlled to its better than putting out a light. As far as "SSI" I am not sure what you mean by that. It likely obvious but its late here and my mind is not connecting the dots.

The spell storing item is neither a magical item nor does activating it use the cast a spell action which the two exceptions for the action 1
This opens up the potential of using haste to shoot of a spell while dodging and activating the Cannon.

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
The spell storing item is neither a magical item nor does activating it use the cast a spell action which the two exceptions for the action 1
This opens up the potential of using haste to shoot of a spell while dodging and activating the Cannon.
Oh, yes that is correct just like using scrolls. The limit is the limit on spell storing which is one 1st or 2nd level spell that you can use a number of time equal to your intelligence modifier x2. So you could put scorching ray or shatter in it as an artillerist and shoot it for 10 rounds with a 20 intellect.

Assuming you know your going to fight and you don't have disguise self or alter self in it. Because having those in it and passing it around the party is just good fun. lol.

Oh, yes that is correct just like using scrolls. The limit is the limit on spell storing which is one 1st or 2nd level spell that you can use a number of time equal to your intelligence modifier x2. So you could put scorching ray or shatter in it as an artillerist and shoot it for 10 rounds with a 20 intellect.

Assuming you know your going to fight and you don't have disguise self or alter self in it. Because having those in it and passing it around the party is just good fun. lol.
Unfortunately you cannot activate a scroll with the use an object action. (Pg 141 DMG under activating an item)

And to double up on that the scroll uses the word cast so it doesn't work on two fronts.

ClaytonCross

Unfortunately you cannot activate a scroll with the use an object action. (Pg 141 DMG under activating an item)

And to double up on that the scroll uses the word cast so it doesn't work on two fronts.
Ah, not just scrolls but anything that requires an action to activate (which Spell-Storing Item does). You also can't use the action from Haste to dodge so you can't reverse standard for attack and haste for dodge. hmm... but you could still dodge and be pretty unkillable. lol

Ah, not just scrolls but anything that requires an action to activate (which Spell-Storing Item does). You also can't use the action from Haste to dodge so you can't reverse standard for attack and haste for dodge. hmm... but you could still dodge and be pretty unkillable. lol
I figured normal action dodge+ haste action use SSI + bonus action Cannon.

RAW the SSI is not a magical item so the rules for that don't apply could even make the SSI and arcane firearm the same item though the arcane bonus wouldn't apply to when you use the SSI

No idea if this was attentional. I'm expecting a large list of erratas for ERLW in the future.

Last edited:

ClaytonCross

I figured normal action dodge+ haste action use SSI + bonus action Cannon.

RAW the SSI is not a magical item so the rules for that don't apply could even make the SSI and arcane firearm the same item though the arcane bonus wouldn't apply to when you use the SSI

No idea if this was attentional. I'm expecting a large list of erratas for ERLW in the future.

Haste Spell: "That action can be used only to take the Attack (one weapon attack only), Dash, Disengage, Hide, or Use an Object action. "

- It would have to be the attack or use object action for haste.

SSI: "While holding the object, a creature can take an action to produce the spell’s effect from it, using your spellcasting ability modifier. "

- It's an object interaction per Spell Storing Item. This is likely in part because some spells you might put in it are not attacks as with the for mentioned disguise self.

DMG p.141 "If an item requires an action to activate, that action isn't a function of the Use an Item action, so a feature such as the rogue's Fast Hands can't be used to activate the item."

- Because its an object interaction that uses an action its disqualified form the "use an object" from the PHB p193. I don't think "use an object action" is different from "Use an Item action". I am pretty sure its the same thing but just written at different times and they missed lining up the language of item and object. Which I can confirm because while the item interaction paragraph in the DMG says "Item" the example in the PHB of fast hand's uses "object"

Fast Hands (PHB .p97)
Starting at 3rd level, you can use the bonus action granted by your Cunning A ction to make a Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check, use your thieves’ tools to disarm a trap or open a lock, or take the Use an Object action.

Haste Spell: "That action can be used only to take the Attack (one weapon attack only), Dash, Disengage, Hide, or Use an Object action. "

- It would have to be the attack or use object action for haste.

SSI: "While holding the object, a creature can take an action to produce the spell’s effect from it, using your spellcasting ability modifier. "

- It's an object interaction per Spell Storing Item.

DMG p.141 "If an item requires an action to activate, that action isn't a function of the Use an Item action, so a feature such as the rogue's Fast Hands can't be used to activate the item."

- Because its an object interaction that uses an action its disqualified form the "use an object" from the PHB p193. I don't think "use an object action" is different from "Use an Item action". I am pretty sure its the same thing but just written at different times and they missed lining up the language of item and object. Which I can confirm because while the item interaction paragraph in the DMG says "Item" the example in the PHB of fast hand's uses "object"

Fast Hands (PHB .p97)
Starting at 3rd level, you can use the bonus action granted by your Cunning A ction to make a Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check, use your thieves’ tools to disarm a trap or open a lock, or take the Use an Object action.
DMG(141) rules only apply to magical items which the SSI is not. That's the hang up. So it would technically fall under the normal use object action.

If the word magic or magical was anywhere in the text under spell storing item this wouldn't be the case but it almost looks like the intentionally worded it that way because it would have been a lot easier just to say it creates a magical item that does X.

Iry

Hero
Personal favorite is actually the artillerist warforged artificer. They can use their action to dodge and bonus action to use cannon. Having 1/2 cover constantly and freeing up concentration for haste.
Mine is Dwarven Artillerist with Dwarven Fortitude, taking the Dodge Action with your choice of turrets. Who doesn't love a dwarven explosives expert?.

ClaytonCross

remember once you reduce the chance of being hit below 10%(crits) its better to find ways of causing disadvantage on incoming attacks VS adding more AC. lets do a fighter 2/ battle smith 14+
  • warforged/simic hybrid 1 AC
  • plate 18 AC
  • shield 2 AC
  • def F style 1 AC
  • fighter lv 1 +
  • enhanced def infus 2 AC
  • repul shield 1 AC
  • cloak of prot 1 AC
  • ring of prot 1 AC
  • warding bond SSI + tiny servant 1 AC and resistance to all damage
that is 29 AC before casting shield or blur

• def F style 1 AC
  • fighter lv 1 +
I believe these two are the same modifier and without counting both your total would be AC28.

I missed the Battlesmiths Warding Bond with Tiny servant. That is clever. Tiny servent only has 10(4d4) hp so after you take 20 damage its gone, but it is still 1 higher AC.

Last edited:

ClaytonCross

Mine is Dwarven Artillerist with Dwarven Fortitude, taking the Dodge Action with your choice of turrets. Who doesn't love a dwarven explosives expert?.

Dwarven Fortitude is a very powerful ability that makes Dwarf a solid option for anyone who wants to prevent from dying. Hill Dwarf's more so because they can combine that with Dwarven Toughness for an extra +1 HP per level that stacks with the tough feat +2HP per level..

Remove ads