D&D 5E Theory Crafting fun: Max AC with Standard Array, without Feats, and without GM provided magic items?

• def F style 1 AC
  • fighter lv 1 +
I believe these two are the same modifier and without counting both your total would be AC28.

I missed the Battlesmiths Warding Bond with Tiny servant. That is clever. Tiny servent only has 10(4d4) hp so after you take 20 damage its gone, but it is still 1 higher AC.
Yea the fighter lv 1 defense style should be one line I only Counted for one.
The idea behind the tiny servant is to chain it so when one dies you get the next tiny servant to use the SSI. The +1 AC/saves is nice but the resistance to all damage is amazing even if for one attack. Up casting nets 2 more charges per level.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Many of these are "likely enough to be sustainable, maybe", so this is just for fun.

High Elf Bard (Swords) 12 / Wizard (Bladesinger) 2 / Monk (Kensei) 5 / Cleric (Forge) 1
Assumes 2 encounters of about 3-4 rounds between rests.

+2 DEX, +1 INT from race plus 4 ASIs = 20 INT, 20 DEX using Standard Array

Studded Leather: AC 12 +5 DEX
Bladesong (2/short rest for 1 min): +5 AC
Defensive Flourish (5/short rest): +d10 to AC with attack - +5.5
Forge Cleric: +1 Armor
Monk Patient Defense (5/short rest): Dodge as bonus action
Monk Kensei Agile Parry: +2 AC
Shield of Faith: +2 AC

Mostly Sustainable AC: 32.5 with disadvantage. (Disadv only 2+ round)
Shield: +5 when needed, which brings things up to "20 only hits" area.

Notes:
While many monk abilities turn off with armor, the Ki powers like Patient Defense do not. However, this does mean that the Unarmed attack made to enable the Kensei Agile Parry is STR based and doesn't get the martial arts die for damage if it hits.

So this requires an Attack action, one attack (likely with a rapier that is a kensei weapon) and one unarmed (STR based). Lucky we have Extra Attack from the monk. One must hit to trigger the Defensive Flourish, which also adds to it's damage. Then bonus action to spend a ki and Dodge. The Shield of Faith needs to have been already up. The first round will be without Dodge because the bonus action is used initiating the bladesong.

Defensive Flourish doesn't quite last long enough. Bard 14 would give a d6 whenever not spending a bardic inspiration, but that kills ASIs and other things. But we do have plenty of spell slots for Shield to help carry over.

If this was really good ability score rolls, we could go 20 WIS as well, drop the armor (and the forge cleric level) and gain an extra +2 AC with Monk's Unarmored Defense. (12+1 forge+5 dex vs. 10 + 5 wis + 5 dex), and that would also enable all the monk unarmored abilities.

Oh, and this does assume pre-casting Shield of Faith. Since others assumed consuming potions and the like I assumed that was on the table. Magical secrets could have gotten us other +2 AC concentration spells as well.

EDIT: And I'm a dumb-donkey. I was originally playing around with Bard 14 for the constant d6s, so I was only thinking about having enough of a CHR to MC into bard. But up there I'm assuming 20 CHR for 5 defensive flourishes per short rest.

EDIT the SECOND: I'm not just a dumb-donkey, I'm also an unobservant one. Mage Armor increases the AC by 1 and enable the Monk Martial Arts. (No, not Monk Unarmored Defense. Not using that.)

Last edited:

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
Yea the fighter lv 1 defense style should be one line I only Counted for one.
The idea behind the tiny servant is to chain it so when one dies you get the next tiny servant to use the SSI. The +1 AC/saves is nice but the resistance to all damage is amazing even if for one attack. Up casting nets 2 more charges per level.
Chaining it is a fair point as well as the resistance. That means AC29 is a typo then as the total of your post is AC28. I added this technic to my original post with credit to you.

ClaytonCross

Many of these are "likely enough to be sustainable, maybe", so this is just for fun.

High Elf Bard (Swords) 12 / Wizard (Bladesinger) 2 / Monk (Kensei) 5 / Cleric (Forge) 1
Assumes 2 encounters of about 3-4 rounds between rests.

+2 DEX, +1 INT from race plus 4 ASIs = 20 INT, 20 DEX using Standard Array

Studded Leather: AC 12 +5 DEX
Bladesong (2/short rest for 1 min): +5 AC
Defensive Flourish (5/short rest): +d10 to AC with attack - +5.5
Forge Cleric: +1 Armor
Monk Patient Defense (5/short rest): Dodge as bonus action
Monk Kensei Agile Parry: +2 AC
Shield of Faith: +2 AC

Mostly Sustainable AC: 32.5 with disadvantage. (Disadv only 2+ round)
Shield: +5 when needed, which brings things up to "20 only hits" area.

Notes:
While many monk abilities turn off with armor, the Ki powers like Patient Defense do not. However, this does mean that the Unarmed attack made to enable the Kensei Agile Parry is STR based and doesn't get the martial arts die for damage if it hits.

So this requires an Attack action, one attack (likely with a rapier that is a kensei weapon) and one unarmed (STR based). Lucky we have Extra Attack from the monk. One must hit to trigger the Defensive Flourish, which also adds to it's damage. Then bonus action to spend a ki and Dodge. The Shield of Faith needs to have been already up. The first round will be without Dodge because the bonus action is used initiating the bladesong.

Defensive Flourish doesn't quite last long enough. Bard 14 would give a d6 whenever not spending a bardic inspiration, but that kills ASIs and other things. But we do have plenty of spell slots for Shield to help carry over.

If this was really good ability score rolls, we could go 20 WIS as well, drop the armor (and the forge cleric level) and gain an extra +2 AC with Monk's Unarmored Defense. (12+1 forge+5 dex vs. 10 + 5 wis + 5 dex), and that would also enable all the monk unarmored abilities.

Oh, and this does assume pre-casting Shield of Faith. Since others assumed consuming potions and the like I assumed that was on the table. Magical secrets could have gotten us other +2 AC concentration spells as well.

EDIT: And I'm a dumb-donkey. I was originally playing around with Bard 14 for the constant d6s, so I was only thinking about having enough of a CHR to MC into bard. But up there I'm assuming 20 CHR for 5 defensive flourishes per short rest.

EDIT the SECOND: I'm not just a dumb-donkey, I'm also an unobservant one. Mage Armor increases the AC by 1 and enable the Monk Martial Arts. (No, not Monk Unarmored Defense. Not using that.)

A lot of new tools I was not aware of here. Awesome.
I want to play with this...

HighElf +2 dex +1 int allows of Bladesinging, ok.
I don't think you can get three 20 stats with Standard array and 4 ASI increases.
I will drop Forge Cleric. Blessing of the forge requires armor.
Str and Con are drop stats, wisdom is not used for AC, so 13.
Standard Array: Str 8, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 15, Wiz 13, Cha 12
ASI
Wizard lvl4: +2 Dex(18) | Wizard lvl8: +2 Dex(20)
Monk lvl4: +2 Cha(14)
Bard lvl4: +2 Int(18) | Bard lvl 8: +2 Int(20)
Adjusted Stats: Str 8, Dex 20, Con 12, Int 20, Wiz 13, Cha 14
Wizard tadition of Bladesinging lvl 8:
MageArmor 13+5 Dex = AC18
Bladesong (2/short rest for 1 min, Intelgence modifier): +5 AC
Haste (+2AC)
Shield Spell (+5AC)
Subtotal (Static: AC18 Sustanable: AC23 Temperary/Consentraion spells: AC30)
Monk Way of the Kensi lvl 4 (characer level 12):
Agile Perry +2AC
Dodge action or Patient Defenst bonus action effective +5AC
Subtotal (Static: AC18 Sustanable: AC25 Temperary/Consentraion spells: AC37)
Bard Collage of Swords lvl 8 (characer level 20):
Defensive Flourish (Charisma modifier=2/short rest): +d8 (lvl 5) to AC with attack. +1 to 8AC
Total Static: AC18 Sustanable: AC23 Temperary/Consentraion spells: AC31-38

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Interesting theory craft, but I would like to go back to the comment about the DM not handing out magical items. What if you limited your magic items to only options that have been available in official adventures (not random rolls - actual magic listed magic items)?

ClaytonCross

Interesting theory craft, but I would like to go back to the comment about the DM not handing out magical items. What if you limited your magic items to only options that have been available in official adventures (not random rolls - actual magic listed magic items)?
I am not apposed to looking at it for fun but to do anything with that I would need a list of magic items by adventures and I don't have one. IF you do, or can come up with one. I am game.

Blue

A lot of new tools I was not aware of here. Awesome.

I want to play with this...

Cool, that was the spirit I wrote the post - here's some things I haven't seen yet. Glad they inspired some ideas.

HighElf +2 dex +1 int allows of Bladesinging, ok.
I don't think you can get three 20 stats with Standard array and 4 ASI increases.
I will drop Forge Cleric. Blessing of the forge requires armor.
Str and Con are drop stats, wisdom is not used for AC, so 13.
Standard Array: Str 8, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 15, Wiz 13, Cha 12
ASI
Wizard lvl4: +2 Dex(18) | Wizard lvl8: +2 Dex(20)
Monk lvl4: +2 Cha(14)
Bard lvl4: +2 Int(18) | Bard lvl 8: +2 Int(20)
Adjusted Stats: Str 8, Dex 20, Con 12, Int 20, Wiz 13, Cha 14
Wizard tadition of Bladesinging lvl 8:
MageArmor 13+5 Dex = AC18
Bladesong (2/short rest for 1 min, Intelgence modifier): +5 AC
Haste (+2AC)
Shield Spell (+5AC)
Subtotal (Static: AC18 Sustanable: AC23 Temperary/Consentraion spells: AC30)
Monk Way of the Kensi lvl 4 (characer level 12):
Agile Perry +2AC
Dodge action or Patient Defenst bonus action effective +5AC
Subtotal (Static: AC18 Sustanable: AC25 Temperary/Consentraion spells: AC37)
Bard Collage of Swords lvl 8 (characer level 20):
Defensive Flourish (Charisma modifier=2/short rest): +d10 (lvl 5) to AC with attack. +1 to 10AC
Total Static: AC18 Sustanable: AC23 Temperary/Consentraion spells: AC31-40

Picked up extra attack from Bladesinger, and can use the martial arts die for the unarmed attack needed to trigger Agile Parry. Does better damage then mine did even before Haste action. And with 16 levels of full caster has plenty of slot to be able to Haste (and Shield) as often as needed in an adventuring day.

Evening out the levels got 2 more ASIs, which is quite nice.

Slight change: Bard 8 will only have a d8 for Bardic Inspiration, not a d10. That comes at Bard 10.

Blue

We've all been doing level 20 builds for fun. But with most campaigns not getting that high, how would you do it with just 10 levels?

Let's assume a single picked uncommon item as a reasonable minimum proxy for a campaign. Which puts the Artificer into a more realistic focus compared to others as well.

Remove ads