There's A Diablo TTRPG (and boardgame) Coming!

Kickstarter launches in 2024!

Diablo-TTRPG-Corebook-Cover.jpeg

At BlizzCon 2023, Blizzard Entertainment announced a tabletop roleplaying game and a boardgame based on the Diablo series of video games. The TTRPG is slated for a 2024 crowdfunding campaign, and are being worked on in conjunction with the baordgame company Glass Cannon Unplugged and Genuine Entertainment, while the boardgame is set for fall 2025.

The TTRPG will share components and accessories with the boardgame. The system is an original system, and will use mechanics inspired by Diablo IV. It will explore the Sanctuary, with adventures in the overworld and underworld.

You can sign up for notifications over at Glass Cannon Unplugged.

This isn't the first Diablo TTRPG--back in 2000, WotC released the Dungeons & Dragons Adventure Game: Diablo II Edition for D&D 3E, written by Jeff Grubb and Bill Slavicsek. There were additional supplements, such as 2001's Diablo II: To Hell and Back (a dungeon crawl), and Diablerie (a world book).

OsirisDawnEU

Villager
The mechanics are basically the same since Diablo 1. The handful of details that D4 arguably screwed up will be too fiddly to show up at the ttrpg or boardgame level.

I'd assume the mechanics they're talking about here are "fight lots of enemies," "deep customization of a few character archetypes," "lots of randomization in magic items."
I would assume those are themes not mechanics, but we will see. Cant wait to loot a sword that has +1 to lightning damage on a moonlit night under rain on a thursday. It only works onlightning damage tho, not electricity. Thats the other sword. And only works in bright daylight while walking under trees. Or something. ;P

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Do you happen to know if that was the standard family of 7 we know from D&D or something more specific?
It was a standard set of seven, in a fake leather/suede bag. Weirdly, the dice are only about 75% as large as normal dice, presumably because someone found out too late how much creating 10,000 or however many sets of dice they produced cost.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I would assume those are themes not mechanics, but we will see. Cant wait to loot a sword that has +1 to lightning damage on a moonlit night under rain on a thursday. It only works onlightning damage tho, not electricity. Thats the other sword. And only works in bright daylight while walking under trees. Or something. ;P
They explicitly talked about how they screwed up with that kind of itemization at Blizzcon -- they referred to it as "only on a Tuesday" bonuses -- and are fixing it now. I would assume those same marching orders are being given to the tabletop game designers.

Last edited:

OsirisDawnEU

Villager
They explicitly talked about how they screwed up with that kind of itemization at Blizzcon -- they referred to it as "only on a Tuesday" bonuses -- and are fixing it now. I would assume those same marching orders are being given to the tabletop game designers.
Good to hear. If its not part of a paid expansion it might spark my interest in D4 again. I dont hate Blizzard, but they really dropped the ball on this game big time IMHO.
Thanks for the Info, i am not following D4 anymore so its new News for me.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Good to hear. If its not part of a paid expansion it might spark my interest in D4 again. I dont hate Blizzard, but they really dropped the ball on this game big time IMHO.
Thanks for the Info, i am not following D4 anymore so its new News for me.
If No Man's Sky can recover from its launch, I have faith that Diablo IV will do the same.

Jahydin

Hero
@OsirisDawnEU
Agree with D4 being a disappointment. All the footage shown before release got me excited since it felt similar to D2 in tone.

Oh well, wife and I will just play though Grim Dawn for the 100th time again instead. :D 🤘

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads