D&D Movie/TV There's A New Trailer For D&D: Honor Among Thieves

A brand new trailer for the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons movie has just been released! The movie comes out March 31st. This trailer very much highlights the tongue-in-cheek nature of the movie and is filled with one-liners. The trailer also gives us a good luck at the Red Wizards of Thay, along with the mimic, the owlbear, and other iconic D&D monsters.

A brand new trailer for the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons movie has just been released! The movie comes out March 31st. This trailer very much highlights the tongue-in-cheek nature of the movie and is filled with one-liners. The trailer also gives us a good luck at the Red Wizards of Thay, along with the mimic, the owlbear, and other iconic D&D monsters.

2E also had “skills”. If you chose not to use them, that’s fine.
Nope.

It had Proficiencies, and they didn't cover the same things, nor did they work in the same way, nor did the game suggest they be used in the same way. I played 2E for the entire edition, so why try to pull the wool over my eyes on this?

Here's a list for god's sake: Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition - Nonweapon Proficiencies

Where's Athletics or the equivalent? Or Acrobatics, for that matter.

The vast majority of Proficiencies in 2E were basically "craft" or "knowledge" skills, with a handful of hyper-specific physical skills which rely on training (Mountaineering and Tightrope Walking, for example).
It’s not really a systems fault of you under or over use the systems in place. Anything can be shortened down to just 1 roll if that’s what you want.
Absolutely it is 100% a system's fault if you use the systems as suggested by the rules, and the result is trash. That is what 3E's big problem was.

You don't get to claim "under or over use" when you're using as directed.

Uta-napishti

Adventurer
Any LA folks want to picket the premiere if Wizards don't blink on revoking the OGL?
Signs that say "Corporate Bullies: Hasbro unfair business practices". "Red Wizards of Hasbro: Hands off D&D" "Heros wouldn't break their word" etc..?

Bagpuss

Legend
"Can I jump down on the dragons back as it flies by and stab it?"

"Sure. Hard to do but lets call it an acrobatic check to start and then an attack at disadvantage as you are trying not to fall off while attacking."

No magic needed at all to be super cool.

To be fair, she risked falling to her death if she bunged it

"As a player I'd be, nah won't bother then, I guess I'll just shoot it with my bow. Does a 15 hit? No. Next."

Which kind of proves Ruin Explorer's point.

I mean you could do it with the 5E system, and if anything I think it is a step up from 3rd Ed where nearly everything had a rule for it. Or worse a later sourcebook would introduce a Feat to do something you use to be do anyway, but now it has a feat tax.

All 5E says about falling is...

A fall from a great height is one of the most common hazards facing an adventurer. At the end of a fall, a creature takes 1d6 bludgeoning damage for every 10 feet it fell, to a maximum of 20d6. The creature lands prone, unless it avoids taking damage from the fall.

It says nothing about landing on the back of a flying dragon...

Officially in 5E the only ways to avoid fall damage, are magic or being a Monk. But Athletics is used for Jumping and really the lack of detail is an invitation for the DM to improvise using what does exist. So how I would do something like that...

Sure you can drop down on the Dragon, it's 20ft below you so that's just movement. You can make and Athletics check to negate the fall damage DC15 or 2d6 damage. You land prone on it's back unless you make the DC in which case you can be sat astride it or surfer stance, whichever you think it cooler. You are point blank on it's back so can attack with advantage. Of course it will try to throw you off at the earliest opportunity. The dragon is too big for you to grapple but you can grab hold of its ridge spikes.

Last edited:

Bagpuss

Legend
So much less cool than DCC where it would be sure, get a three or higher on the mighty deed die.
And that's even less cool than Feng Shui where doing outlandish stuff is the norm and can attract a bonus and if you do something like just stand there and hit it you get a penalty.

Before the OGL stuff, I had been planning for months to organize a "private watch party" for my gamer friends to see this. We would have taken over an entire theater and watched it as a unit, subsidized by myself. But it's not happening now...

Damn Uncle Moneybags, didn't even know you could do that. Your clearly a good friend to have.

To do well it needs 25 million people to see it?*
So needs lots non-rpg people to go.
I'm really looking forward to it.
I hope it does very well.

* I have no idea what say $500 million box office is in terms of ' people'.

It'll likely be profitable at $300,000,000 to $400,000,000 range, it hits $500,000,000 it'll be a smash hit. It hits a $750,000,000 to billion, less likely, but possible, then expect WotC to start drowning in movie and tv deals. Oh heck that might even happen at $500,000,000 given this is just a opening effort, I mean even Iron Man 1 didn't net a billion dollars.

Remove ads

Remove ads