D&D Movie/TV There's A New Trailer For D&D: Honor Among Thieves

A brand new trailer for the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons movie has just been released! The movie comes out March 31st. This trailer very much highlights the tongue-in-cheek nature of the movie and is filled with one-liners. The trailer also gives us a good luck at the Red Wizards of Thay, along with the mimic, the owlbear, and other iconic D&D monsters.

Last edited:

Remathilis

Legend
Nope.

It had Proficiencies, and they didn't cover the same things, nor did they work in the same way, nor did the game suggest they be used in the same way. I played 2E for the entire edition, so why try to pull the wool over my eyes on this?

Here's a list for god's sake: Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition - Nonweapon Proficiencies

Where's Athletics or the equivalent? Or Acrobatics, for that matter.

The vast majority of Proficiencies in 2E were basically "craft" or "knowledge" skills, with a handful of hyper-specific physical skills which rely on training (Mountaineering and Tightrope Walking, for example).

Absolutely it is 100% a system's fault if you use the systems as suggested by the rules, and the result is trash. That is what 3E's big problem was.

You don't get to claim "under or over use" when you're using as directed.
Not to disagree with the premise of your point, but Athletics was broken into jumping and swimming nwps (along with a base 40% chance to climb for non-thieves). Acrobatics would be the tumbling and tightrope walking nwps. The bigger problem was they were basically pass/fail ability checks that never improved (unless you sank another nwp into it, which considering the rate they were gained at was far more wasteful than getting another different skill). Between that and the older legacy systems for discovery of doors (on a d6) and thief skills (%) none of it flows together.

Also, they were an "optional" rule in 2e, much like how prestige classes are "optional" in 3e and feats and multi-classing are "optional" in 5e. Not really.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Nope.

It had Proficiencies, and they didn't cover the same things, nor did they work in the same way, nor did the game suggest they be used in the same way. I played 2E for the entire edition, so why try to pull the wool over my eyes on this?

Here's a list for god's sake: Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition - Nonweapon Proficiencies

Where's Athletics or the equivalent? Or Acrobatics, for that matter.

The vast majority of Proficiencies in 2E were basically "craft" or "knowledge" skills, with a handful of hyper-specific physical skills which rely on training (Mountaineering and Tightrope Walking, for example).

Absolutely it is 100% a system's fault if you use the systems as suggested by the rules, and the result is trash. That is what 3E's big problem was.

You don't get to claim "under or over use" when you're using as directed.
I used “skills” (in parentheses) because I didn’t want to type out non-weapon Proficiencies.

Athletics? Use Endurance. Acrobatics use Jumping. Or some other skillls. Like a lot of old school you kind of have to make judgement calls here and there

Im currently DMing 2E once a week, and guess what it’s working just fine in the whatever problem your having area.

OB1

Jedi Master
To do well it needs 25 million people to see it?*
So needs lots non-rpg people to go.
I'm really looking forward to it.
I hope it does very well.

* I have no idea what say $500 million box office is in terms of ' people'.
Average ticket price in the US hovers right around $11, but if there is a high percentage of IMAX, RealD and 4DX tickets sold, the average can go up to around $14 (like with Avatar). Figure they are looking for 40M tickets sold worldwide for this to be considered a smash hit and instantly get a sequel green lit, anything under 20M tickets worldwide would probably give them pause on a sequel.

The new trailer has 10M views in just a couple of days, and the original is up to 18M. That puts interest around the level of the Fast & Furious franchise, so $500M worldwide is probably a good benchmark.

Also, they were an "optional" rule in 2e, much like how prestige classes are "optional" in 3e and feats and multi-classing are "optional" in 5e. Not really.
I'd compare them to magic items in 5E (multiclassing really is optional, I've never seen a legitimate reason to use it beyond min-maxing), in that they're not "designed in" to the system, but yeah.

I used “skills” (in parentheses) because I didn’t want to type out non-weapon Proficiencies.

Athletics? Use Endurance. Acrobatics use Jumping. Or some other skillls. Like a lot of old school you kind of have to make judgement calls here and there

Im currently DMing 2E once a week, and guess what it’s working just fine in the whatever problem your having area.
NWPs just don't work the same way as skills and aren't built into the system in the same way, and no amount of insistence that they are will change that. With NWPs there isn't even a mechanism (that I'm aware of) for rolling them when you don't have them (which is kind of a hole in 2E's design).

Anyway, like I said, you're adding a whole unnecessary extra failure layer in your example, for absolutely no good reason, and not making the game better in the process. You're just making a cool action into a really dumb action.

OB1

Jedi Master
Crikey UK ticket price now around equivalent 20 dollars, though the cinemas now are very nice.
Yeah, that's the price of a weekend evening show at a nicer theatre in LA or NY, but in the middle of the country you can still get tickets as low as $6 for an afternoon matinee in an older theatre and right about the average $11 for a weekend evening.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
NWPs just don't work the same way as skills and aren't built into the system in the same way, and no amount of insistence that they are will change that. With NWPs there isn't even a mechanism (that I'm aware of) for rolling them when you don't have them (which is kind of a hole in 2E's design).

Anyway, like I said, you're adding a whole unnecessary extra failure layer in your example, for absolutely no good reason, and not making the game better in the process. You're just making a cool action into a really dumb action.
Yet it worked out just fine and everyone had fun. Weird.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases