D&D (2024) They butchered the warlock in the new packet

nevin

Hero
The warlock lost their pact magic to become a half-caster like the paladin and the ranger.

This of course makes the game less interesting and the warlock a lot blander. It also means that the warlock's role as the newbie spellcaster (or indeed any sort of primary spellcaster alternative) has gone; they have just as long a list of spells to juggle as anyone else and just as much faff to do with spell slots.

You can get higher level spells ... by using invocations on Mystic Arcana. You only get one more invocation total than you used to.

Oh, and the paladin still wants to dip one level of warlock to grab the blade cantrip. Eldritch blast dipping is now gone. And the warlock is now tied to the Hex spell - which doesn't have anything to prevent it clashing with e.g. other concentration spells.

This seems to be a warlock made entirely to appease those who disliked warlocks

no pact magic makes them a sorcerer sub class effectively. Regardless of what WOTC wants to say. strange decision.

Guythegard

Villager
I mean, that's kinda it in a nutshell, right? I would rather have 2 10 min short rests be the default rechange pace, with a long rest just being a short rest+ that lets you take more short rests.
I would like that too except that would be too tacky for most players.
5e is designed so most people can play it.

Dausuul

Legend
I would like that too except that would be too tacky for most players.
5e is designed so most people can play it.
A 5-minute short rest, usable twice per day, has worked just fine in my group for years. It's dead simple and it resolves a bunch of issues (mostly, but not entirely, to do with warlocks and monks).

I know the plural of anecdote is not data, but I don't think most players would give a crap one way or the other if this became the standard rule.

Reef

Hero
A 5-minute short rest, usable twice per day, has worked just fine in my group for years. It's dead simple and it resolves a bunch of issues (mostly, but not entirely, to do with warlocks and monks).

I know the plural of anecdote is not data, but I don't think most players would give a crap one way or the other if this became the standard rule.
This absolutely would solve all the issues I have with Short Rests. If it doesn’t become standard, I think I’ll adopt it as a personal house rule next time it’s my turn in the DM’s chair.

PACT MAGIC IS COMING BACK!!!
I hope it is in name only, and they break the recharge away from Short Rests into something more along the lines of a 10-minute Patron-communing ritual that can be used N times per day.

They can use this opportunity to explore melding Patron subclass spells and/or Mystic Arcanum into Pact Magic too, broadening its functionality. The Warlock needs to be modular, but they don't need 4-5 different spellcasting rules systems in one class:

Pact Magic (recharge N spell slots on short rest)
Patron Spells (get a free casting of only one in a group, once per day)
Mystic Arcanum (get a free casting of each one, once per day)
Invocation spells (Varying recharges)
Unique Pact Boon-specific Cantrips (at-will, can't have them all)

Edit: I guess I'm saying that I can see it totally working to have only Eldritch Invocations and Pact Magic systems, with Pact Magic being enhanced by Mystic Arcanum and Patron Spells expanding the system.

Last edited:

I hope it is in name only, and they break the recharge away from Short Rests into something more along the lines of a 10-minute Patron-communing ritual that can be used N times per day.
You can break it from short rests while keeping the fundamental one-spell-level structure that makes it pact magic and you don't have to juggle spell slots and spell levels. Patron-communing rests are more than fine - and I've actively advocated for different subclasses having different recharge mechanics this way (so a more martially inclined patron might give you no recharges). The thing is that I think 1.5 recharges per day is about ideal, so I think most warlocks should have a single easy recharge and most pacts should give a very situational recharge mechanic.

Remove ads