D&D (2024) They butchered the warlock in the new packet

Have you seen the monk? The best you're going to get is a 1/day free recharge.
I hear you, but the monk is nowhere near done with redesigns. I think if they try a new recharge mechanic with the Warlock, and it works, that can inform the next Monk redesign as well. They acknowledge that Warlock players want something that feels different. I hope they have a good idea that splits the difference and feels right for both sides of the argument. Lots of people here who like Pact Magic suggest that 2 recharges feels right balance-wise (essentially giving 3 full loadouts per day), and BG3 gives the party 2 short rests per day. Maybe they'll mirror that as a test?

If they broaden the number of spells available before a recharge (from Pact Spells or the like), I can see fewer recharges, like the Wizard has with Arcane Recovery, but I don't think that will be the case.

Remathilis

Legend
My guess is

Pact Magic will work like it did in 2014.
They will have some type of "quick recharge" that doesn't require a rest. It will be only limited use.
They will have a slightly higher # of slots per day. (Perhaps having 3 before level 10 and 5 max per day)
Pact Boons will no longer be cantrips.

My guess is

Pact Magic will work like it did in 2014.
They will have some type of "quick recharge" that doesn't require a rest. It will be only limited use.
They will have a slightly higher # of slots per day. (Perhaps having 3 before level 10 and 5 max per day)
Pact Boons will no longer be cantrips.
I think you're right. Except I don't want you to be right about Pact Boon Cantrips. I think they are wonderful and are a good springboard to represent your growing pact connection and abilities, when going forward, you'll get your subclass at level 3.

Remathilis

Legend
I think you're right. Except I don't want you to be right about Pact Boon Cantrips. I think they are wonderful and are a good springboard to represent your growing pact connection and abilities, when going forward, you'll get your subclass at level 3.
To be honest, they were rather confusing. People assumed you could take them as regular cantrip choices for your warlock class or get them through magic initiate (neither were true, but lots of people tried to get two or all three boons). I think much of the utility of them will remain (the pseudo hexblade, the combat familiar statblock, the switchable cantrips/rituals) but I don't think it will be expressed as a spell.

To be honest, they were rather confusing. People assumed you could take them as regular cantrip choices for your warlock class or get them through magic initiate (neither were true, but lots of people tried to get two or all three boons). I think much of the utility of them will remain (the pseudo hexblade, the combat familiar statblock, the switchable cantrips/rituals) but I don't think it will be expressed as a spell.
.. apparently there is something we agree on about the playtest warlock @Remathilis

That is just editing. It can be made very clear. And I always say, if a magical effect works like a spell, with actions, durations, and recovery that works will spell slots, or are at-will, just make it a spell.

Remove ads