D&D (2024) They butchered the warlock in the new packet

That is just editing. It can be made very clear. And I always say, if a magical effect works like a spell, with actions, durations, and recovery that works will spell slots, or are at-will, just make it a spell.
And by the same token if a magical effect doesn't work like a spell don't make it one. Divine Smite works well in part because it bypasses spell mechanics and thus is simpler for new players.

And seriously? You want the rogue's Cunning Action to become a spell? The ability to hide or dash as a bonus action can only be a spell? Because that's something that's at will.

mellored

Legend
And by the same token if a magical effect doesn't work like a spell don't make it one. Divine Smite works well in part because it bypasses spell mechanics and thus is simpler for new players.
It already uses spells slots.
And Paladins cast spells.
And they need to limit it to once per turn.

So the simplest option is to have it be a spell. One system instead of 2.

Pauln6

Hero

And seriously? You want the rogue's Cunning Action to become a spell? The ability to hide or dash as a bonus action can only be a spell? Because that's something that's at will.
Some argue that divine smite works TOO well because it bypasses spell mechanics. That said, I was happy with the once per round and announce before you roll limitations from the earlier package.

Shadow Jump is an ability that exists across multiple origins (monster ability, class feature, heritage feature, invocation, feat) but it's not a spell. It's basically misty step with a limitation in exchange for longer range. Is that a choice because its limitations mean nobody would pick it, was there a conscious choice to keep it niche, or do they hate Shadow mages?

Horwath

Legend
It already uses spells slots.
And Paladins cast spells.
And they need to limit it to once per turn.

So the simplest option is to have it be a spell. One system instead of 2.
or it needs to be like in 2014, with limit of once per turn.
No need to have ALL class features a spell.

This goes double for wizard only spells for writing spells into spellbook. Like people cannot write without being a spell.
And for spells that modify spells. Those are research features, not spells.

mellored

Legend
or it needs to be like in 2014, with limit of once per turn.
No need to have ALL class features a spell.
If they use spell slots, on a class that gets spells, they might as well be. It simplifies things.

Otherwise I agree.
This goes double for wizard only spells for writing spells into spellbook. Like people cannot write without being a spell.
And for spells that modify spells. Those are research features, not spells.
For the wizard, I actually like that every feature is a spell.

Scribe spell needs to be a cantrip though.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I think you're right. Except I don't want you to be right about Pact Boon Cantrips. I think they are wonderful and are a good springboard to represent your growing pact connection and abilities, when going forward, you'll get your subclass at level 3.
I just didn't see the point in making the Pact Boons into Cantrips It seems rather unintuitive to make them spells instead of them remaining class features. (Then again, I also think that making Fighting Styles into feats instead of just being a class feature seems strange.)

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I just didn't see the point in making the Pact Boons into Cantrips It seems rather unintuitive to make them spells instead of them remaining class features. (Then again, I also think that making Fighting Styles into feats instead of just being a class feature seems strange.)
I think Pact of the Chain makes sense as a cantrip - instead of a feature that allows the warlock to cast Find Familiar in a special way that significantly changes its functionality, just directly giving them a spell with the desired functionality makes sense, and frees the designers of the constraints of having to use Find Familiar as the baseline.

Pact of the Blade also works fine as a cantrip in my opinion. The main function when you first gain the pact boon is to allow the warlock to magically summon a special weapon at-will. Magically doing things at-will is exactly what cantrips are for, so sure, that works, and the structure of Cantrips already includes an “at higher levels” feature, making it easy to work the 5th level extra attack directly into the pact boon instead of needing an additional class feature.

Pact of the Tome makes a lot less sense as a cantrip. It’s a book that gives you access to three Cantrips and some number of ritual spells. Really, the “at higher levels” structural feature of Cantrips seems like the only reason to go this direction with it.

Remove ads