"They Rode to Perdition" starring Arcade's Gang (D&D/Boot Hill)

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 48, “The Answer”, December 6th, 1881:

Morgana does not respond to Arcade’s question. Qualtaqa asks, “Can’t a ship Captain perform marriages?” Hank says, “I tell you what, I think yer right about that.” Louie interjects, “Hey, look, she’s speechless.” Hank says, “That she is, I didn’t think that was possible! Hey Arcade, you should ask her to marry you more often.”

She finally regains her composure and points to the ring saying, “Where did this come from?” He replies, “I bought it a couple of days ago in New York.” She asks, “Did you buy it for me or for that other fiancée of yours?” Hank says, “Well, we’re all waiting for an answer?” Arcade says, “Why don’t you guys run along.” Louie says, “Yeah. We go find ship Captain to marry you.” Arcade replies, “On second thought, why don’t you guys stay.”

Arcade says to her “I bought it for you! Well? Are you going to answer my question” She asks, “What’s wrong with the type of relationship that we have now?” Hank whispers to Qualtaqa, “That’s a man’s line. Are you sure she’s not a guy?” The Indian replies, “Pretty sure, but to prove I guess you have to ask Arcade.” She looks Arcade squarely in the eyes and says, “Look. If you’re only doing this to get out of the situation with your family…” A shocked look crosses his face and he interrupts with, “Do you really think so little of me?” She replies, “Well, okay then.” “Okay?” he states. She answers, “Yes. I’ll marry you.”

Hank says, “Well don’t that beat all. Two druids decided to get married, and on a ship in the middle of the ocean! There ain’t no trees for hundreds of miles.” “So you going to stay in England?” Louie asks the couple. Morgana replies, “If Arcade wants to leave we will. Even if we have to carve Sam into a boat to row back across the Atlantic.” Sam spits out his drink at that comment. Hank says, “I can’t image living anywhere other than Texas.” Morgana comments, “Hank, you live in Arizona!” “But I’m going back to Texas at some point,” he replies.

Arcade says to her, “So, where would be the ideal place to have the proper ceremony?” “Why wait?” she replies. Hank, Louie and Qualtaqa get up and Hank says, “Great. We’ll go find the Captain. Sam, you keep an eye on them.” “Or maybe a gun,” Louie adds. “This was sudden” she comments. He answers, “I’ve been thinking about this for a long time.”

The three are unsuccessful at meeting the Captain, being stopped when they try to head up to the First Class section. They then send the Captain a note asking to speak with him later. “Ship people strict about keeping people separate,” Qualtaqa adds. Louie adds, “At least they didn’t shoot at us.” The DM interjects, “Actually, the White Star Line really should take up the practice of shooting anyone who attempts to sneak into First Class, especially if they look like Leonardo DiCaprio.”

“I guess they will have to wait,” Qualtaqa says. Louie comments, “Hope they no change mind.” Hank replies, “Yeah, well why do we really care anyway?” The three return and tell the couple that the Captain is unavailable. “Must be busy, owning ship this big,” Louie states. “The Captain doesn’t own it!” Arcade comments. Hank says, “Why not. If I was the owner of the ship I’d name myself Captain.” “The owner has several ships,” Arcade replies. “That works for me too,” Hank replies. Morgana says, “Great. Now Hank wants to be a shipping magnate.” Arcade comments, “Him? He’s barely qualified to guard a mine shaft.”

Getting back to the topic at hand, Morgana tells Arcade that they don’t need the Captain, that they can declare themselves married on their own. Qualtaqa asks, “Don’t you need druid priest to do that?” Arcade replies, “No, we’re reformed.” Hank says, “I should write a song for you guys.” The DM comments, “You can’t. They don’t have Country and Western songs yet because trucks haven’t been invented.”

Arcade says, “Well, you decide what you want to do. It’s your wedding ceremony.” Morgana answers, “We don’t even need a ceremony. You asked me and I said yes. That’s all there is to it.” Hank whispers back, “Are you sure she’s not a guy? I’ve never known of a dame who didn’t want a big wedding.”

“There isn’t anything more than that?” Arcade asks. She replies, “Sure there’s a lot more. What I expect from you is a lifetime of fidelity. You don’t ever sleep with another woman, and you don’t ever mistreat either the children or me. Do that and I won’t leave you.” “So you get to decide when we are or aren’t married?” he comments. “That deal don’t sound all that fair to him,” Hank comments. She answers, “Sure it’s fair. Family and lineage always works through the woman. The mother is the only constant, since you can never guarantee who the father is.”

“I don’t know that I take to that interpretation,” Hank comments. Morgana replies, “You don’t have to. I married him, not you.” Louie says, “Hope not, the bed wouldn’t be big enough for all of us.” Arcade comments, “Especially Hank, since most Texans sleep alongside their horse.” Hank replies, “What’s wrong with that?”

Arcade turns back to Morgana and asks, “Any more rules that I should know about?” She replies, “Yes, you’re not allowed to intentionally kill any of my relatives.” He mutters softly, “Note to self. Make it look like an accident.” She adds, “And in time of famine you don’t choose yourself over the children.” Hank mutters to Sam, “The guy’s a English Lord, and she’s worried that there won’t be enough food for everyone?” Louie comments to Sam, “See what happen if you get married.”

The newlyweds get up to retire for the evening. Hank says, “Hey, we sent the Captain a note, what do we tell him if he shows up?” Arcade replies, “Tell him you want to marry Sam.”

Last edited:

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Game #5 - 3/21/04

Chapter 49, “Arrival in England”, December 7th, 1881:

Breakfast conversation is a continuation of the nights before. Morgana continues to anticipate problems from Arcade’s family. Arcade says, “You’ll do fine, just be on your best behavior.” Louie tells Morgana, “That mean you should not toss tomahawk into people’s privates.” Morgana asks Arcade, “What exactly is your mother like?” He replies, “I’m not really sure.” Hank interjects, “What are you talkin’ about, she’s yer Ma.” He replies, “I was raised in an English manor house, so we didn’t mix very much. I was actually raised by a nanny.”

Arcade again suggests that they skip visiting his family. Louie objects, stating, “I spend money on new fancy clothes. Want to wear them.” Qualtaqa again reminds Arcade that he accepted money for this trip so therefore has an obligation to fulfill and that anything short of that would be dishonorable.” Arcade looks him squarely in the eye and says, “I don’t understand? The guy offered to give me money so I took it. I never said I’d actually go.” Qualtaqa says, “You gave him the impression you would.” Arcade answers, “And I meant it at the time. I’ve just changed my mind since then.”

Morgana again asks, “So, what exactly is your family like?” Arcade replies, “I can’t really say.” “Well, damn it, could you at least take a guess?” Hank exclaims. Arcade answers, “Well, I haven’t seen any of them for the past ten years. And before that I went from a private nanny to boarding school and then off to college. I’ve spent maybe an-hour-and-a-half of my life with them, so how would I know?” Hank says, “Well that nanny shouldn’t have been raising you, that’s yer mother’s responsibility.” Arcade answers, “And why don’t you tell her that when you meet her.” Hank replies, “I tell you what, I believe that I might.” “Yeah, that’ll go over well,” Arcade replies.

Hank says, “Well okay, so if you won’t talk about yer family what can you tell us about the English in general?” Arcade replies, “They keep to themselves. They don’t like strangers. And they shoot at the their neighbors.” “Sounds a lot like Texans,” Hank replies. Morgana asks, “Are there any druids?” Arcade replies, “Hell no, they burned most of them centuries ago.” She next asks, “What are their attitudes towards sex?” He replies, “The English consider it fun, even the way they do it, so like everything else fun in Victorian England it isn’t allowed except for when absolutely necessary.” Hank slaps Sam on the back and says, “Dang son, looks like you’ll have to go without for a while.”

Hank turns back to Arcade and says, “I wish you weren’t bein so secretive about this family of yours.” Louie interjects, “Sounds fair to me. He surprising his family with us, so he surprise us with family.” Hank asks, “Well, will be meeting any of your family’s friends?” Arcade answers, “The English don’t have friends.” “The just have tea,” Morgana adds. “Any basic rules we should know?” Hank asks. Arcade answers, “Yes. First, don’t shoot people indiscriminately. Second, don’t be a foreigner. Third, don’t be a member of the lower classes. “Looks like we lose on all counts,” Morgana states. Arcade replies, “That’s what I’ve been trying to tell you!”

“When we get there?” Louie asks. Arcade replies, “We should dock in Liverpool in another ten days or so.” “Ship stop in a pool of liver? Ugghh!” Louie comments. Louie expresses some concern about going to an upper class home. Arcade replies, “Relax, I’ll show you the ropes.” Louie replies, “Last time someone try to show me a rope it was tossed over a tree limb.” Hank decides to go play cards again with his friend ‘Reggie’. Arcade advises against it, saying that he wouldn’t trust a down-on-his luck English Lord, adding “And I ought to know.”

December 8th to 16th, 1881:

Nine uneventful days of sailing across the ocean pass by. The party members spend most of this in either the smoking lounge or library. Morgana entertains those in the lounge at the piano. Aiden spends the entire voyage in the cabin with extreme motion sickness.

December 17th, 1881:

The ship arrives at Liverpool, England. Surprisingly, no ‘Beatles’ jokes are made, despite several fans of the lads from Liverpool being around the table. Arcade tells the party that he is in charge. Hank (whose player is the party leader in our other campaigns) comments, “Yeah, I’ve been wondering about that. Why do you get to be the leader of this gang?” Another player replies, “Because you missed the first three game nights of this campaign!”

They no sooner leave the ship when a man who says that he works for Lord Arcadium and has been awaiting him confronts Arcade. He has a carriage parked nearby, and the party heads over towards it with their bags. In the process of exiting the ship Aiden gets separated from the others and wanders off (his player having now missed several consecutive games). They decide not to bother looking for him.

Hank offers to “Ride shotgun up top to protect against bandits” but his offer is rebuffed. At the command of the household servant several porters assist the party with their luggage. “My, these folks are mighty neighborly,” Hank comments. “Perhaps you and your Stetson hat may wish to enter and sit down,” the servant states. He does so, Louie commenting, “He likes your hat.” “Maybe I should buy him one,” Hank comments. Hank bangs on the carriage roof and yells up “Hey, ain’t it about time that you yelled Giddy-up?” Arcade sarcastically mutters, “Oh yes, he’ll fit in just fine here.”

In the carriage ride Hank suggests that after they finish this trip they should visit his family in Texas. Arcade doesn’t respond, being heavily in thought. Hank tells Louie, “I’m starting to worry about that boy.” Louie replies, “Me too. What should we do to make better.”? Qualtaqa suggests that they get him drunk.” Louie says, “If he relax maybe he no longer act like stick up his butt.” Arcade blurts out, “Hey! How big do you think this carriage is? I’m sitting right here!”

They travel for several miles before the carriage pulls into a train station. Arcade tells them that his family home is still a long way off, and they will have to take the overnight train to get there. Several more porters assist with the bags and the party climbs onto a fancy passenger car of the British Rail Line. Louie comments, “Me like to ride choo choo.”

They settle down in the club car for supper. Sam begins to have second thoughts about this visit. Hank says, “Look kid, we didn’t come all this way just to turn around and go home.” Arcade says, “Well don’t blame me. I wanted to turn around back in New York. My home is a trap” Hank says, “Well, better to be there than being shot at by the James Gang, the Clantons and the Earps.” Arcade replies, “Ask me that again in a week.”

Morgana again brings up his mother, asking what she is like. Arcade replies, “Just a typical mother. I’m sure she does things that your mother did.” Morgana says, “Really? She dances naked around a fire?” Hank and Sam both spit out their drinks at hearing that. Hank comments, “He was probably thinking more along the line of baking cookies.” “Mine did that too,” Morgana adds. Arcade keeps watching the exits, and seems anxious to run every time the train slows. As an extra precaution she casts a Sleep spell onto him, and then has the others help carry him back to their sleeping berth.

December 18th, 1881:

The group gets back together for breakfast. Arcade looks like he’s going to be ill. Hank says, “After all this acting up yer doin, I tell you what. If we get there and this family of yours isn’t so bad I’m gonna kick yer ass.” Arcade replies, “Well, it’s not like we’re going to find them eating babies or anything like that.” Louie interjects, “They should be proud of you. You lead respectable gang.” “Ixnay on the Anggay” Arcade comments.

Hank says, “Don’t worry boss. If they bug you and you find that need a good belt I’ve got my hip flask handy.” Arcade say, “Don’t call me boss! You don’t work for me!” “Then why did you hire me?” Hank replies. Arcade answers, “I didn’t hire any of you? Didn’t you notice that none of you got any six-month performance appraisals.” Louie interjects, “That just cause if you say something bad about Sam he shoot you.”

The train ride continues, with the group looking out at the pastoral fields and rolling hills. Hank says, “You got some good lookin’ country here. A mite green, but looks like a good place to ride. When we get to yer home I’ll have to borrow me one of yer horses.” Arcade and Morgana joke about how funny it would be to watch Hank participate on a fox hunt. She concludes that it wouldn’t last long, as he’d probably shoot the fox dead just as soon as it was released. “And then complain about the lack of meat on it,” Arcade adds.

They exit the train and get into another carriage on this cold windy damp day. It rides along for another hour, with more picturesque hills in the background. “When we get to you place?” Louie asks. Arcade replies, “We’ve been on my family estate for quite some time, and are almost to the manor house.” The carriage pulls up in front of a large three-story manor house made of dark stone. Louie looks at the building and says, “You people make ugly castles.” Hank says, “They have to build them tough over here to hold up to the lousy weather.”

The servants unload the bags, with Hank’s making a loud crash on the ground. “What’s in there?” Louie asks. Hank replies, “My traveling things. Shotgun, pistols, ammunition.” “What about clean clothes?” Arcade asks. “I’ll buy ‘em if I find I need any,” Hank replies. “Do you really think you’ll need those firearms?” Arcade comments. Louie interjects, “From way you talk sound like we may need to shoot our way out of here.”

They reach the door, which is opened by an older man wearing a suit. Hank thrusts out his hand and says, “Pleased to meet ya! You must be Arcade’s Pa!” The man makes no attempt to shake his hand and replies, “I am the butler.” Louie says, “We go in now? Want out of wet weather.” Arcade leads the group into the building. The butler asks Arcade “Will you be needing quarters for these servants of yours?” Arcade squirms and says, “They are actually my associates.”

The man eyes them suspiciously and says, “I see. And will they be joining us for dinner?” Hank blurts out, “Danged right we will! I’m starved! Where’s the grub!” “I’m sure that the cook could put together something to your liking.” Qualtaqa says, “Don’t care what it is just so it’s food.” The butler states, “Ah yes, it is good to have such true connoisseurs under our roof.”

Last edited:

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Our DM just sent out the following email:

"Just in case you're not grateful enough for a dull ocean passage, here's a sample of the kind of fun one could have on a White Star ship in the 19th Century..."

1 April 1873: Off course and steaming at full speed, Atlantic runs aground on Golden Rule Rock, off Mars Head, Nova Scotia, at 3:15 a.m. Her stern is fully submerged and her hull is ripped open by high seas; many drown, many more are swept out to sea. The only survivors are crew members, unaccompanied men and one child; every woman, every married couple, and all the other children are among the 562 or more dead. Those who survive do so by climbing the rigging or traveling across lines which have been secured to nearby rocks by the third officer and two quartermasters. (Sources: The New-York Times,various dates in April 1873)

Game #6 of the module resumes tomorrow and I should have the next chapter up by Monday.

Last edited:

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Game #6 - 4/04/04

Chapter 50, “Dinner Preparations”, December 18th, 1881:

Arcade heads off to go see his father, leaving the rest of the gang standing in the lobby. The uppity butler continues to be snotty with the party. Morgana makes a reference to her husband and the butler interprets her to be referring to Louie. She corrects him, saying that she is the bride of young Lord Arkadiam. The butler’s face takes on a surprised expression and he sarcastically comments, “It is nice to see that Josiah’s tromp through the hinterlands has paid off.” Louie asks Hank, “Did he just call her Josiah’s tramp?” Hank replies, “I think he said he likes her hinterlands.”

The gang complains again about being hungry so the butler brings them into a parlor and has the cook bring out a plate of cold mutton which the men tear into using their hands rather than utensils. The butler watches this with a look of revulsion and says to Morgana, “And these people live with Josiah?” With a large piece of mutton hanging from his front fangs, Louie replies, “We part of his respectable gang.”

The butler asks her, “How many rooms will you…people be requiring?” Hank says, “Give us each one.” “Except the honeymooners,” Sam interjects. Hank adds, “But if you all are short on space I guess Sam and I could bunk together.” The butler shows them to their rooms. Louie asks if he can break up some of the furniture to get a fire going in the fireplace to cook rice. The butler says, “Sir, I will send one of the house boys up with some firewood to make you a fire if you wish one. As for the cooking, I am sure that the cooks will be more than willing to meet your culinary wishes.” “Like to cook own rice,” Louie replies.

Arcade soon joins Morgana in their room. “Well, how is your father?” she asks. He replies, “Confined to his bed. And other than being totally insane he seems to be fine.” “So he’d fit right in with our group,” she jokes. He answers, “No, I mean it. He’s crazy. He’s in a good mood, but he keeps spurting off nonsense." “And your brother?” she asks. He replies, “Still in London. He’s expected back for the weekend. I surmise that he’s probably off spending away the family fortune.”

There is a knock on the door, which Morgana opens to find the other four gang members standing there. Hank is looking on the wall at a framed map of Great Britain and comments, “No wonder there aren’t many places in England with the letter L in the name, this Wales place has them all.” “Get in here,” Morgana comments. They come inside and the door is shut.

“What’s the low-down?” Hank asks. Arcade replies, “My father is totally nuts, as in crazy.” Louie quips, “I thought that was just part of being English?” “Was he happy to see you?” Qualtaqa asks. “He was happy, but he didn’t know who I was,” Arcade replies. Hank says, “That makes sense. I’d be happier if I didn’t know you.”

“That butler no like us,” Louie states. “Yeah, not exactly being welcomed with open arms,” Sam mutters. Hank replies, “Still better than our usual reception of being met by people carrying arms.” “So, should we try to fix the guy?” Louie asks. Morgana comments, “He might have just gone on a wind walk and can’t find his way back.” “A what?” Arcade comments. Not wanting to hear the long explanation from Morgana that will follow, Hank interjects, “How’s yer Ma?”

Arcade replies, “She was present in the room but she didn’t speak. We will be joining her in the main dining room for supper.” Morgana comments, “Dinner would be formal. We should probably all wash up and change first.” “I’ll go change,” Hank comments. “I thought you only had the one set of clothes?” Arcade replies. Morgana interjects, “I sewed him a new suit to wear on the ocean voyage.” Arcade mutters, “We should probably burn the old ones once they are off of him.” Hank replies, “I was just gonna put the new ones on over the old ones.”

Arcade looks to Morgana and says, “I’m telling my mother that he’s one of your friends, not mine.” “Hey, I have my uses,” Hank comments. “Name one?” Arcade replies. Hank answers, “Well, if you ever need someone to call somebody a mangy sidewinder then I’m your guy.” Arcade replies, “If I ever decide to call somebody that I can guarantee that you’ll be present in the room.” “Good”, Hank replies, not realizing that Arcade was referring to him. Arcade says, “Listen. We need to get to the bottom of what’s going on before my no account brother shows up tomorrow.” Hank replies, “You mean there’s someone in the family who’s worse than you?”

The conversation drifts back to how to handle Arcade’s dilemma. Morgana suggests, “Well, if your brother isn’t competent why don’t we just tell them that Sam is a son who you fathered in America and leave him here to run things.” Arcade replies, “That’s a hard sell. He’s fifteen and I’ve only been away a decade.” Hank says, “So what? We told the newspapers he was twenty-two and they believed it. If we can add seven years why can’t be subtract five and say he’s ten.” “We’ll just say they grow’em big in America,” Qualtaqa jokes.

Qualtaqa asks, “So, will this Queen of yours be joining us for dinner?” Arcade says, “I doubt she’s in the neighborhood and I’m sure that she has made other arrangements.” Hank says, “Dagnabit, I was hoping to meet the dame. See if you can set that up before we go.” Arcade just rolls his eyes. Sam says, “I’m not too sure about formal dinners. What are we supposed to do.” Arcade decides to gear his reply to his audience and says, “There will be lots of silverware. Just approach it like you would eating a buffalo, start on the outside and work your way in.”

Looking at the rest of the party, Arcade tells Morgana “Maybe we should just lock all of them in their rooms, and slip them some food later." Qualtaqa says, “I’ve been to formal dinners before. I dined with President Grant at the White House.” This surprises them all and Hank says, “You’re just making that up!” Qualtaqa replies, “No. I serve as Ambassador for Comanche. I bring Chief there to sign treaty. We signed treaty, eat dinner, then leave.” Arcade says, “If he’s been around civilized society before why is he such a mutton-head?” Louie adds, “He eat mutton hour ago, maybe that why.”

Arcade calls one of the servants and instructs them to “Have the butler find appropriate clothing for my friends for dinner.” He instructs the gang to “Let the servants help dress you. They know what they’re doing.” The group each goes back to their respective rooms. Morgana, Arcade and Hank change into their formal clothes. The butlers soon arrive at the rooms of Sam, Louie and Qualtaqa with the clothing that consists of starched shirts, pleated vests, wool pants and suit jackets with long tails. Louie is
disappointed that he wouldn't be able to wear his new (Chinese-style) clothes that he bought in New York. Both Louie and Qualtaqa look surprisingly comfortable in this attire, but Sam’s ill-fitting suit makes him looks like a fish-out-of-water.

Everyone arrives in the dining room. Once they are all present the butler enters, gestures to the main doorway to the room, and announces “I present to you Lady Willamena Arkadiam.”

Last edited:

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 51, “The Formal Dinner”, December 18th, 1881:

“Darling, it is so nice that you could join us this evening,” Lady Arkadiam greets Arcade with, in such a casual manner that one would think he had been away for a day rather than a decade. Louie interjects, “We make sure he come. We help.” Arcade gives Louie a dirty look for that comment. Qualtaqua rises and tells her how her son is a great man in America. She thanks him for his kind words, and then asks, “So, who exactly are you?”

Arcade handles the introductions, beginning with Qualtaqa and Sam. When he gets to Hank Arcade cannot remember his full name, but Hank covers by rather eloquently stating, “Henry J. Hill Madam, and I am grateful for all of your hospitality.” Similarly, Arcade does not remember Louie’s full name and just calls him Louie. The half-orc corrects him by stating “My name Yee Lui-Buliang. I travel from China to gang up with your son.”

Arcade then introduces the young lady at his side, stating “And this is Morgana Walks-with-trees….”, he doesn’t finish, as he is concerned that if he mentions her last name of ‘O’Shea’ it will cause problems, as his mother is not fond of the Irish. That becomes a moot point however when Morgana concludes the sentence by stating “Arkadiam,” and Arcade sheepishly adds, “my new wife.” His mother has no reaction at all to this, turning instead to the butler and asking that the first course be served.

A multi-course meal follows, with most of the cuisine being rather bland, comprised primarily of boiled food. Louie blurts out “Why your food not taste like anything?” She ignores that comment, and then asks Sam, “Where is it that you come from young man?”. He replies, “Yosemite California, Madam.” She replies, “California. The place where they have all the gold. Do you have a lot of gold?” Sam is hesitant to answer and Qualtaqa says, “We are not preoccupied with worldly treasures.” To that Hank adds, “In other words we’re poor.” Louie interjects, “We involved with silver mine.” She replies, “Why would anyone care about silver when all that gold is just lying around.”

Addressing Qualtaqa she then asks, “And you are from where?” He replies, “Oklahoma.” She comments, “Oh yes, I’ve heard of that place. Now are you from the mountains of Oklahoma or from along the ocean?” Rather than correcting her he says, “I can show you around if you ever come to visit.” “And you race?” she asks. He replies, “Indian. I serve as an ambassador for the Indian people. I have served as ambassador for the Apache, Comanche and Hekawi Tribes. I once dine with President Grant at White House.” She answers, “How nice. Is that where you met my son?” Qualtaqa answers, “No, we meet in Arizona. Your son great man. Him kill lots of people.” Arcade clears his throat at that and glares at the Indian. In a weak attempt to salvage that, Qualtaqa adds, “But they were all very bad men.”

She turns to Hank and asks “And where are you from?” He answers, “Texas, Madam.” She says, “Oh yes. I remember reading about that place. That’s where that awful Mr. San Antonio killed Jim Crockett and David Bowie at that fortress.”

She then asks Louie a few questions about China and if he is a soldier. He replies, “No, I build choo-choo.” She asks, “So, have you been to that British island we have there? I think it’s called Bing Bong.” He answers, “If you mean Hong Kong, no I haven’t been there. I am from Shandong Province and sailed to America out of Shanghai.” She replies, “Oh, I understand. You were shanghaied to America?” She then goes back to eating without any more conversation. Arcade whispers to Morgana, “She’s totally ignoring both of us. She must really be furious about our marriage.” Morgana replies, “Then we’ll have to make it a point to be very loud tonight to embarrass her further.”

After a very long period of silence Louie asks Arcade’s mother, “So why you call for Arcade to come home?” She replies, “To assist my husband with the family business.” Hank asks, “What type of business is it you do?” She states, “My husband is a magnate.” Hank, thinking she said magnet, quips, “I can see the attraction of that job.” She goes on to describe several of the businesses they have interests in. Hank says, “Sounds like you have your fingers in various pots.” Louie says to Hank, “No, she using silverware.” Hank asks her if she knows of a Lord Reginald, stating that they met him on the ocean voyage. Qualtaqa also mentions the English Duke who is part owner of the Silver Mine. She indicates that she if familiar with who both of those men are, but doesn’t actually know either of them.

Arcade states, “Mother this was a fine meal. Thank you so much for preparing such a warm welcome for my associates and I.” Acknowledging his presence again she asks, “So, is everyone in America as colorful as your companions?” He replies, “Yes, they have this whole melting pot thing going on there.” She states, “Well, I don’t know how you are able to deal with a place filled with people who have no class….I mean a classless society.” Morgana jumps into the conversation, and speaks of the merits of America. The mother asks her, “So, how exactly did you two meet?” Louie states, “Me go by rice. Get beat up. They help.” She is confused by that answer, but just passes it off and calls for dessert. The meal finally ends and she departs.

Arcade leads the gang into a sitting room and offers them cigars and brandy. “That seemed to go pretty well,” Hank comments. “You’re kidding, right?” Arcade replies. Louie says, “What you mean. She like us.” “Except Morgana,” Sam adds. Arcade replies, “She was only being polite. The two types of people that English aristocrats hate most are foreigners and poor people, and you’ve just established that you’re both. She can’t stand any of you, especially Morgana.” Morgana says, “She might change her mind when she finds out my Grandparents are wealthy Bostonian.” Arcade replies, “But that’ll be negated once she finds out that they’re also Irish.” Louie gestures to the newlyweds and says to Sam, “How come they rich and not us?”

Hank asks Arcade about the family business. He says that the family has interests into several things including manufacturing, mining, transportation and the import and export of merchandise. He concludes by saying, “That plus the inheritance is how they can afford such a place as this.” “How big is this place?” Qualtaqa asks. Arcade replies, “The main building here has over 200 rooms. There are many more rooms in the various outbuildings.” Louie whispers to Sam, “Did he say the outhouses have several rooms?” “Think so,” Sam replies.

They then discuss Arcade’s brother William, who Arcade says is worthless. “You want us to shoot him?” Louie asks. Arcade answers, “Hell no!” “Him really love his brother,” Qualtaqa states. Arcade answers, “Not at all, but if he’s dead they’d make me stay here forever.”

Qualtaqa suggests that Arcade could decide to head back to America to manage the family’s business interests there. Hank says, “So, should we head over to this London place to see this useless brother of yours?” Arcade replies, “No need. He’s coming home tomorrow." “Is there any way of finding out what he’s done with the family business interests?” Morgana asks. Arcade suggests checking in his father’s office later that evening after the house has gone to bed.

December 19th, 1881:

Shortly after midnight the gang sneaks down to the office. The doors to the room are locked, but Louie has no difficulty picking it. The gang heads inside and lights a lantern. They begin searching, finding the room covered in dust and the last recorded document being in the handwriting of Arcade’s father and dated the previous June. Arcade is checking a desk on the side wall, so is out of sight of the doorway when a voice exclaims, “What are you people doing in my father’s office?”

They rest of the gang looks up at this well-dressed young human male who bears some resemblance to Arcade. “You must be William,” Sam states. “You haven’t answered my question!” he exclaims. Qualtaqa says, “We are your brother’s accountants. We do business for him.” William replies, “If our business is so important to him then he’d be here.” Morgana says, “We came here at the request of my mother-in-law.” William looks confused until Sam explains, “This is Josiah’s bride.” William uses that opportunity to make a rude and sexist remark about women in general. Hank steps between the two of them to prevent Morgana from physically attacking the young man. Before she can respond some other way Arcade speaks up saying, “Well, well, it seems some people never change,” as he walks into his brother’s line of vision.

William states, “So you were hiding in there. I didn’t think you’d bother showing up at all.” The tension is thick enough to cut with a knife, and Qualtaqa tries to ease things by suggesting that they all go riding together in the morning. William says to his older brother, “Who are these people?” Louie interjects, “We his respectable gang.” “We kill many outlaws,” Qualtaqa adds. “Is there much money in that?” William asks. Hank answers, “Not as much as I’d like.” Sam says, “We’re are involved in law enforcement in the United States.”

“That’s where you are all from?” William asks. “Yes, we live in Arizona,” Morgana states. “Isn’t that where England ships all its criminals to?” William asks. “I think that you’re thinking of Australia,” Arcade states. Hank interjects, “Yeah, Arizona attracts enough criminals from the United States, we don’t need more from other places.”

William just shakes his head and tells Arcade, “Well, it seems like you’ve decided to bring the retched refuse of America with you.” Louie whispers to Sam, “I told you English were all stuck up.” Hank says to William, “Son, there’s no need for insults here, but you seem a might peeved that your brother is back.” William totally ignores Hank and says to Arcade, “It’s late. If your ‘accountants’ are done here I would suggest that you all turn in. I for one am very tired.” Arcade adds, “And drunk too from the smell of it.” The brother walks away.

The office door is shut up and everyone heads off to his or her respective room. Qualtaqa says to Arcade, “You had bad opinion of brother and we now all agree.” Arcade says, “He was a fool before and still is now.” Qualtaqa says, “I think we should bring him back to Promise City.” Hank replies, “He wouldn’t last an hour there!” “I think that’s the idea,” Sam comments. Morgana says, “No need to go that far. Just ship him up to Ireland. He wouldn’t last ten minutes there with his attitude.”

Last edited:

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Game #7 - 4/18/04

Chapter 52, “Lord Arkadiam's Health”, December 19th, 1881:

Everyone returns to each of his or her respective rooms. Arcade and Morgana decide to work off some of their frustrations, after which she suggests that since the whole house is asleep it would be a good time to go and check in on his father. “Fine let’s go,” he states, stepping out of bed. As she slips into her clothes she suggests, “Shouldn’t you put something on? It wouldn’t be appropriate for the young Lord of the manor to walk down the hallway naked.” He replies, “You’re right. I’m an English Gentleman. I should be wearing a hat.”

Once attired they quietly make their way down the hallway and to the room. Arcade’s father is sleeping very restlessly as they enter and shut the door behind them. They approach the bed and the Lord calls out “Come back for more?” He does not appear to be talking to them, and Morgana softly asks, “Sir. To whom do you speak?” He continues to ramble on an assortment of phrases, none of which make up coherent sentences. She asks “Are you traveling or are you here?” He starts to call out about “Danger.” “Be calm, you’re safe with us,” she says in a soothing voice, which appears to have a relaxing effect on him. She also casts her healing spells onto him, with no discernable differences.

“I don’t like it here,” he exclaims to her “Where are you?” she asks. He replies, “Damn it, can’t you see? Another one who doesn’t know what’s going on.” She replies, “I see that you are lying in the bed in your room at the manor house. Is that what you see?” He answers, “No, it’s much brighter and much louder than that?” One player quips “Maybe he’s at a Rolling Stones concert.” Another player retorts, “Maybe. Mick Jagger’s old enough to have been around in 1881.”

Morgana tells Arcade, “I think we should try something.” He answers, “Right here? In front of my father?” She explains that she wishes to follow his soul-thread, which anchors his spirit to his physical body. She will need Arcade to act as her own anchor. He does not fully understand what she is talking about but agrees (a sign of a good husband). She casts a spell incantations and her body appears to go limp in his arms. A conversation then begins between Morgana and Lord Arcadiam, with Arcade hearing what is said even though neither of them is moving their lips. She is able to derive that something is seriously wrong and that the Lord blames his son William for the problem. She then returns to her physical body and they go back to their own room.

At 7:00 A.M. the gang meet for breakfast in the formal dining room. Morgana explains to the others about the visit and what she discovered. Qualtaqa suggests that it sounds like William may have given his father some type of narcotic, and suggests that she cast a Neutralize Poison spell onto him. Before they can plan further Lady Arcadiam joins them. While continuing to ignore Morgana she gives a friendly greeting to the other members of the gang.

Hank asks about borrowing horse to take a ride around the estate. She says, “What a lovely idea. Perhaps I’ll join you.” “That would be wonderful” Qualtaqa replies. Arcade whispers to Sam, “Yeah, right. I doubt she even knows where on the grounds the stables are located.” Qualtaqa continues to try to impress her with flowery language and courtesy. He goes on at length about Arcade’s keen business sense and leadership qualities. Arcade whispers to Hank, “If Newlegs keeps up with this B.S. I suggest that we have him run for Parliament.”

Morgana decides to take advantage of being totally overlooked by excusing herself from the table and heading back upstairs. She heads directly to the father’s room, finding the bed empty, unmade and not even warm. She checks the adjacent rooms and bath facility, but he is in none of those places. She returns to the dining room, whispering this information to Arcade. He suggests that the group go for a stroll around the gardens. They head outside.

He leads them directly to the duck pond, Morgana filling them in about the missing father. Arcade says that he will cast a Reflecting Pool onto the pond. He starts the spell, seeing his father sitting at a desk and reading a book in a brightly lit room. Morgana suggests, “Pull back on your focus”.

The image zooms out, to reveal the desk is located in a vast room filled with machinery. He continues to pull back and up, in order to locate where the room might be. They discover that it is deep underground, heading up several stone staircase. They eventually reach the surface. As he pulls up higher they find themselves looking at a part of a city near a river. Arcade pulls up even further and announces, “That’s London and I recognize the Parliament Building.”

They then see William approaching and Arcade ceases the spell before his brother sees what they were up to. “What are you doing over he?” he exclaims in an accusatory manner. Qualtaqa decides to cover for the party by taking advantage of the fact that William already views him as an uncivilized savage, stating “Saw you had pond with ducks so wanted to throttle one and then eat it.” William is appalled, and lectures them about leaving the birds on the estate alone. Louie interjects, “What? You no like to eat duck? I have good recipe for Peking Duck.” Qualtaqa gives the young Lord assurances that they will leave the birds alone.

Morgana then comments about wanting to go shopping in London. They invite William to show them around the city. He becomes very suspicious. “You can show us the sights,” Sam states. William replies, “That won’t be necessary. I’m sure you’ll have no trouble finding people who will tell you where to go.”

Qualtaqa suggests that they spend the day riding around the estate. William exclaims, “Planning to ride all the way to London?” Arcade says, “Not at all. We’ll tour the estate today and go to London tomorrow.” They invite William to join them but he declines, making a derogatory comment about his brother’s companions. Louie corrects him, declaring “We be respectable gang, on both sides of ocean.”

They reach the stables and start to pick out horses. Qualtaqa comments that he and Louie will wait there, as neither of them knows how to ride. “What? You were a horse!” Hank exclaims. Qualtaqa replies that while he is personally familiar with how a horse travels he has no experience with sitting atop one or how to command it to move. Arcade states,” Well then it’s high time that you learned. You too Louie, each of you grab a horse.”

It takes quite a while to teach the two new riders the basic mechanics, although the one who seems to have the hardest adjustment is Hank as the English saddles are different from the Western version that he is used to. They ride off, with both Qualtaqa and Louie each thrilled at acquired a new skill. “They seem mighty proud of themselves,” Hank comments. Arcade replies, “Sure do, let’s slap their horse’s butts and see how they react.” Morgana exclaims “Don’t you dare! I’ve already used up all of my healing spells today on your father.”

They spend the next hour riding around the estate. From a frozen hilltop Morgana spots a group of buildings in the far distance and asks her husband about it. Arcade says, “That’s the local village. The tenant farmers that tend my father’s lands live there.” She says, “Then we need to go check it out. They may know what has been going on.” “Is there a tavern in the village?” Hank asks. Arcade replies, “Yes, and they call them ‘pubs’ over here.” Hank replies, “I don’t care what they call it as long as I can get me a drink.” They ride on in the direction of the village.

Last edited:

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Game #8 - 4/25/04

Chapter 53, “The Local Pub”, December 19th, 1881:

The gang ties up their horses outside of the pub and head into the building. It has a relaxed atmosphere to it, with a dozen tables with two-to-six chairs at each, six barstools along the bar, a piano sitting in the corner and a dartboard on the wall. As Arcade is the only one of the group who can speak with an English accent they decide to let him initiate the conversation. He gives the barkeep a warm hello and says that there are six in the party. They are gestured to sit at one of the larger tables in a corner of the room. A round of the local beer is ordered up for the table.

“Nobody seems to know you,” Qualtaqa observes. Arcade replies, “Not surprised. I've been gone a long time and my parents also never allowed me to come to this pub when I was younger.” When the bartender comes back they order some food and a second round of drinks. They then engage him in conversation about the local happenings. The man replies, “Strange things ‘ave been ‘appening ‘ere as o’late. It’s not right. Don’t like it, don’t like it at all. I ‘eard that the Lord’s eldest is coming ‘ome. Maybe ‘ell put things to rights.”

They press him for more detail as to these strange happenings, but he doesn't state anything specific, saying that it is just a bad feeling and there have been an eerie sting of bad happenings. Morgana inquires as to when these things began and are told, “Seems to me ‘bout last summer.” When he goes to get the food they discuss this, noting the time coincides with when Arcade’s father took ill.

The man returns with a platter of mutton. They ask him to speculate about the cause of the disturbances. He chocks it all up to progress, blaming the railroads and the influx of new people to the district. Morgana inquires about magic being the source of the problems but he dismisses it. He then says, “Some o’you talk odd. Where be you from?” Hank replies, “America”. “Ah, Colonists! What are you doing ’ere?” the man exclaims. “Just came for a visit,” Morgana states. Hank adds, “Yeah, I wanted to visit that Queen of yours. I heard that she’s a mighty fine lady.” The man laughs and tells him, “I’m afraid she doesn’t frequent me pub.” Louie interjects, “She should. The food and beer good here.”

They ask about the Lord’s son William and the response and tone of voice used makes it obvious that the barkeep doesn’t hold him in very high regard. The man repeats that it is a good thing that the elder son will soon be returning. Morgana engages the man in a debate about the hierarchy of English society and how in America everyone has a chance to succeed. Louie adds, “Me start as poor laborer but now have interests in silver mine and laundry.” The man states that he is happy being a barkeep, just as his father and grandfather both were. Hank says, “Well, it is an honorable profession.”

They finish up the meal and Arcade pays the tab, leaving a generous tip. The barkeep invites them to come back in the evening, stating that there will be some entertainment. “What entertainment?” Morgana asks. The man replies, “A local troubadour.” Hank says, “I think we might just do that.”

They approach the door and Arcade holds it open for Morgana to exit. She steps into the doorway and almost collides with a well-dressed handsome young man with a lute strapped onto his back. He apologizes, stating the he would never wish to cause any harm to one as beautiful as she. She smiles back, commenting about the lute and asking if he is the performer that she heard would be playing there that evening. He smiles and confirms that he is, saying “I work the boards here.” Louie softly says to his companions, “He a carpenter?” Arcade replies, “I think he means the floor boards of the stage.”

Morgana tells him that she is also a bard and asks if he might be interested in performing a duet. They both continue to stand in the doorway conversing, blocking the doorway. He introduces himself as John Wesley of Harding, and that he has just returned to the community after a long absence. “And why did you come back here?” she asks. He answers, “I heard that an old friend of mine will be returning and wanted to be here to greet him.” Hank turns to Arcade and softly says, “Does he mean you?” Arcade replies, “Yeah, he and I go way back.” Qualtaqa says, “He’s only standing ten feet away. Why hasn’t he recognized you?” Arcade replies to him, “If you just met a beautiful young woman, who shares the same hobbies as you, would you notice anybody else in the room?”

The five men decide to make their way back to the corner with Arcade sitting so that his back is to the adjacent tables. Picking up on their movement back into the tavern, Morgana directs the bard over to a small table next to them. Rounds of beer are soon ordered up for each tables.

She tells him that she is from America, originally from Boston but has also spent a lot of time in the Midwest. He says that his family are English nobles from the area. He says that he has traveled abroad, and has spent a considerable amount of time in America, mostly in San Francisco and New York City. “That true?” Louie asks Arcade. He replies, “Yes. He’s from the neighboring estate to ours. We were childhood friends and traveled together to America ten years ago. I was the quiet one and he was the troublemaker.” “Looks like some of him rubbed off onto you,” Hank comments.

Morgana and John continue to talk about musical instruments and songs. He implies that there is something magical about the lute that he uses. She indicates that she doesn’t have an aversion to using magic. He answers, “Well, being as close as we are to France some of their magic does tend to filter through this area.” She asks, “So are you here now to work?” He replies, “Later on tonight. I just stopped in now for a drink, and am so glad that I did. It’s not often I get to spend time with another from our profession.” She smiles and says, “Maybe we’ll get a chance to see which of us is the better performer.” He replies, “We could do that, although I’ve never performed before in a competition.” Arcade spits out his drink upon hearing that mistruth.

John then says, “I’m sure that we will perform very well together. I have many talents to share with you. Although some of those talents are much better suited for a private setting.” Hank whispers to Sam, “Is this where somebody gets himself shot?” Morgana replies to the proposition, “I think that my husband might have something to say about that.” The man’s jaw drops in shock, as she then raises her voice and asks, “What do you think dear?” The surprised troubadour hears a chair move immediatley behind him and then hears a voice from long ago state, “Well John, I see that you’re still the ladies man.” The man’s head jerks around and exclaims “Josiah!”

Last edited:

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 54, “Reunion”, December 19th, 1881:

Arcade says, “Why don’t you join us. I see that you’ve already met my bride.” The bard glances at Morgana and laughs, “Yes, and I see you were both having some fun at my expense.” She smiles and replies, “It wasn’t hard John.” “I beg to differ. And please call me Wes” is his answer. Looking back at Arcade, the bard says, “I own you one.”

Wes slides his chair around as Morgana walks over to the other table, sitting beside her husband. Looking back at Morgana he comments “So, you two are married?” Arcade replies, “For a while now.” “At least a week,” Qualtaqa interjects. Morgana adds, “His mother isn’t too happy about it.” “I can imagine,” Wes replies, adding “Well I for one think you’ve made a good choice Josiah. So Morgana, would you happen to have any sisters?” She replies that she does not. Wes asks, “So, how did you meet?” “I buy rice,” Louie comments. “These are my business associates,” Arcade comments, gesturing to the others.

The bard takes a quick glance around the table and smiles, amused that his friend is now keeping company with an elf and a half-orc. Arcade says, “Louie is correct, we met in America when he was buying some food and some local hoodlums decided to beat him up. Morgana and I both intervened to help him out.” “Me too,” Sam comments. “Always the do-gooder,” Wes replies.

“And what have you been doing with yourself for the last decade?” Arcade asks. Wes tells them about his travels across America and Europe, making his way through life using his gift of song. “Uh huh, with an occasional influx of family resources,” Arcade comments. Wes replies, “You know me too well. Yes, unlike you, I have made it back here from time to time. I heard you were coming back now so decided to come see you again. But tell me, exactly what have you been up to.”

Arcade answers, “This and that.” Qualtaqa says, “We’ve become a respectable gang.” “Hey, that my line!” Louie interjects. Wes replies, “Seriously, what have you been doing in America?” Morgana says, “Well, a while back I attacked Billy the Kid.” Wes laughs and says, “Sure you did! You can always count on a bard to spin up a tall tale. I guess anybody can claim to have shot at him now that he’s dead, so he can’t refute it.” Morgana says, “I did not shoot at him, I killed him with my tomahawk.” Louie says, “It was when we fight James Gang.” A surprised look crosses the bard’s face as he puts the pieces together, commenting “We? Hold on….Arkadiam…Arcade…you’re Arcade’s Gang?” “Lock, stock and barrel,” Hank replies. “Make that double-barreled,” Sam adds.

The bard laughs and says, “And you used to say that I was the one who always caused trouble!” Arcade replies, “Wes, please keep that information under your hat. We’re trying to keep a low profile over here.” He replies “And who would I tell that would actually believe me? So, what brings you home?” Louie says, “Big boat.” Wes says, “No, I mean, why did you come home Josiah.” Louie interjects, “He try not to but we make him.”

Arcade states, “My father is in poor health. But it’s more than that.” Morgana says, “Something magical seems to have poisoned him. It seems to have started around five months ago.” Arcade adds, “We think that William has something to do with it.” Wes replies, “Wouldn’t surprise me.” Qualtaqa says, “William has had direct access to the family fortune for five months now.” Wes replies, “I’m surprised there is anything left.” Arcade answers, “There may not be, that’s one of the things we’re tying to find out.”

Morgana then begins discussing music with Wes and Qualtaqa whispers to Arcade “Do you trust him?” Arcade replies, “With my life. Why?” Qualtaqa replies, “Because he’s a bard who has been in the country recently, and probably knows his way around London much better than you do.” Arcade replies, “I get it. And he would also know of places for us to hide out if we run into trouble.” Qualtaqa answers, “If?, I’d make that ‘when’.” They invite Wes to accompany them to London the following morning, to which he graciously accepts. He in turn invites them to hear his performance at the pub that evening, to which they graciously accept, with Morgana again agreeing to perform a duet or two.

The group says their good-byes to Wes and ride back to the Arkadiam Estate. Arcade’s father is back in his bed and rather incoherent. The group dress for a formal dinner, at which Arcade’s mother is pleasant but the conversation remains at a superficial level. Following the dinner the group change back into their comfortable clothes and take a pair of carriages back to town. They find a nice table in the far corner of the pub and settle in for a pleasant evening, with Morgana joining Wes on the stage for several folk songs. They head back late in the evening.

December 20th, 1881:

The group meets for breakfast and Morgana slips away to check on the father, who is fast asleep and does not wake when she attempts to make him. After breakfast they then pack for their trip. Most decide to leave behind their western-style clothing as well as their larger weapons, such as rifles and the long spear. They get one of the servants to drive them to the train station. They make a detour over to Wes’s home and Hank comments that he’s seen towns that are closer together than these two neighboring estates. The main manor house is elaborate but not quite as ostentatious as the Arkandiam’s. Sam asks “Will he be sober enough? He was drinking all night long.” Qualtaqa replies, “We won’t need him to be sober until we reach London. He can sleep it off on the train.”

Morgana heads up to the door and knocks. A butler arrives and she asks for “Young Lord John.” The man replies, “I believe that the master is still abed.” She says, “Well go wake him. Tell him that Lady Arkadiam is waiting to go to London with him.” The butler gives her a quick visual appraisal, and walks away muttering “I guess the rich can marry as many times as they want.”

Wes eventually makes his way downstairs, and says to her “I didn’t think you meant today and I certainly didn’t think you meant in the morning.” She replies, “We’re going now. Get your things.” He replies, “I’m an artist. I need my sleep.” She answers, “You can sleep on the train. Hurry up.” Realizing that he isn’t going to win this one, he gathers up a few belongings and follows her outside. Before the carriage even leaves the front walk he is already curled up on the seat and fast asleep again. “Wish I could do that,” Louie comments. Qualtaqa says, “They say that bards and soldiers can learn how to sleep any where at any time.” “And in his case, with any one,” Arcade adds.

They arrive at the train station and only have a short wait until the next train to London. Along the way they discuss how the following evening is the Winter Solstice, a high holy day for both the Celtic and Roman deities, which are the two main pantheons worshipped in England. They decide that could work to their advantage, as the evening of the 21st will be very busy with holiday celebrations that might work as a distraction. It might also help with a cover story, Morgana being a Celtic priestess. The train stops at several towns along the way, arriving in the city approximately two hours after

Last edited:

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Game #9 - 5/02/04

Chapter 55, “The London Shopkeeper”, December 20th, 1881:

They shake Wes awake. He grumbles and comments that he is hungry. Louie offers him a rice ball, to which the bard replies, “Never show me anything that disgusting again this early in the day. I need a bard’s breakfast.” Morgana states, “He wants a beer.” “Or at least a bottle of wine,” he replies.

They exit the train station and the gang asks Arcade if he knows exactly where the scry appeared to reach the surface. He says, “I think the docklands, but could have come up at an angle, so it might be further away.” “Let’s try to find the spot we saw,” Qualtaqa states. Wes says, “Well, if we’re heading to that part of town we’d better get there now. I wouldn’t want to be in that part of the city after dark.” Hank says, “What are you worried about? You’re with Arcade’s gang.” Wes replies, “Well, don’t take offense at this, but I’ve actually gotten to know you guys a bit now. Your group is more impressive as a concept.”

They head through the crowded city in the direction of the docks. They pass many people selling their wares along the street. Wes goes to a street vendor and purchases a meat-filled roll, which he then consumes. Along the way Morgana notices a curio shop with several items in the window that hint of French design. She says, “Hold on a minute. I want to check out this store.” Hank exclaims, “We don’t have time to go shopping.” She replies, “If this shop is what I suspect it might be it going here could actually save us a lot of time.”

They enter the building and Morgana approaches the proprietor, an elderly woman standing behind the main counter. They exchange small talk for several minutes. Morgana has been busy looking around the room and makes mention of her interest in viewing unusual tomes. The woman says, “We don’t have much interest in books, but I might have a few.” She leads her into a back room, moving a glass with a dead fly inside it off of a pile of dusty books, revealing some magical tomes beneath.

Morgana smiles and says to her in an archaic version of French, “Your ruse is impressive. A non-wizard would not suspect you use these daily.” The woman replies in the same version of French (and language that of her companions, only Wes can deduce the occasional word of) “Yes, you’ve passed the test. I personally like the dead fly detail myself. He’s actually just playing dead, being a personal friend of my familiar.” Morgana says, “I’m glad you decided that you can trust us.” The woman replies, “And can I trust your companions?” Morgana replies, “Yes, I trust them all with my life. They’re very easy to underestimate, but are all people of good character.” “Then you will be trusting them with my life as well,” the woman replies.

The older woman then changes to the English language and says, “I may be able to help you find that which you seek.” Arcade says, “That would be appreciated. I need to locate where my father is.” The woman replies, “What can you tell me about where he has been?” Morgana says, “It’s as though he were simultaneously here and on another world.” Arcade describes the large room he saw his father inside and the tome that he was reading. Morgana adds that “Even when he was home he was not really there. We don’t know how to combat this,” The woman replies, “Your suspicion that he is linked to the tome is probably correct. You must separate him from it.”

Morgana says, “And I’m uncertain how it is that he appears to travel the fifty-mile distance in a very short time?” The woman replies, “And you mean to tell me that you can’t?” Morgana answers, “No. I’m afraid that I’m still a novice at using magic. But I do have other talents which I have made good use of.” Arcade says, “We think that this location is near the docklands.” The woman replies, “That is not what I sense, but the docks do have the most open space in the city, and I believe the place you seek is in a open space.”

The woman’s gaze then turns to Qualtaqa and she asks Morgana “Do you want me to fix him?” Morgana replies, “No, we needed him in this form.” She replies, “Why? It is not his destiny.” Louie interjects, “But it easier for him to ride on boat and train like this.” Qualataqa asks the woman, “You can tell people’s destiny?” She replies, “Yes. I can read their auras.” It is obvious that Qualtaqa wishes to asks something else, but hesitates. Morgana says, “Go ahead. You want to ask her.” Much to her surprise however, rather than asking about himself he asks about what is in store for Morgana. The woman replies “She is destined for greatness as well as happiness.” Qualtaqa says, “And the Elvan people?” “As you believe,” is her reply.

Hank gestures to Sam and says, “And what can you say about his destiny.” The woman smiles and tells the boy, “You may find some who will do if for free. You just need to know where to look.” Arcade comments, “You appear to know much of us.” The woman replies, “I should. I have been expecting all of you.” “Do you have anything else to tells us?” Morgana asks. The woman says, “There are things you know and things you do and sometimes the things you know interfere with the things you do so you need to take that into perspective.” Louie mutters to himself in his native tongue “And they say that Chinese philosophy speaks in riddles.”

Louie asks about purchasing an item for his girlfriend and is shown a number of items selling for the British equivalent of $ 5.00 to $ 10.00. Hank points out that even if he goes for the cheapest it will still be the most expensive gift that Mary Wong ever received. Louie buys a cameo with gold plated edging.

Morgana thanks the woman for her assistance and asks if they can come back if necessary. The woman tells her that she is always welcome to return. “Even if it is decades from now?” Wes comments. She replies, “Yes, the shop will remain here until the war.” “War?” Arcade asks. She replies, “Another third of a century from now. Most of you will know of it.” Gesturing to Sam she says, “The young one will play a key part of it.” Arcade thanks her for her advice, while Sam just looks very confused.

As they leave she whispers something into Qualtaqa’s ear. Morgana looks back and gives her a puzzled look. The woman’s last comment to them is, “Zero is your friend. Look low.”

The group exit the building and head in the direction of Tower Bridge. This is not the best part of town and Wes acts uncomfortable. Aracade asks him “What’s the problem?” The bard replies, “This intrigue thing just isn’t my style. I feel exposed the way we are proceeding. I prefer buying people drinks and then outsmarting them.” Morgana comments, “Like you outwitted me.” Wes replies, “You two set me up.” Arcade says, “No, you did that to yourself. But don’t worry. We have you covered. You’ve saved my butt often enough, let me return the favor.” Wes glances back at Morgana, wanting to make a comment, but Sam laughs and stops him with “Don’t even try. You’re not going to win with her.” He appears to take that as a challenge, thinking up a smart comment to make to her, but stops when Louie says, “Give it up. When even Sam laughs at you there no hope.”

Last edited:

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 56, “Greenwich”, December 20th, 1881:

They cross tower bridge, a large stone structure lined with buildings. They reach the other end, and are continuing through a poorer section of the city. Hank comments about the smell. Arcade replies, "You're one to talk about a smell, Mr. I-only-change-clothes-and-bathe-once-a-year."

Morgana notices that they are beginning to get noticed by some of the people in this district, including many low-lifes who are eyeing the nicer clothes worn by Arcade, Wes and herself and comments about that to the others. Wes starts to sing a bardic tune, adding the magical 'Suggestion' to his lyrics of "Don't look at us. We're not really here." To that another player suggests, "They're not the droids you're looking for." The people start to ignore them. "It worked," Sam comments. Wes replies, "Magic tends to work well in London."

That comment gets Morgana thinking, and she says how through her combined Indian and druidic heritage she has been taught to detect the magical ley-lines through the earth. She casts a spell to detect this, a variation on Detect Magic and is almost overwhelmed by then seeing before her one of the strongest magical earth ley-lines that she has ever seen. Furthermore, she begins to notice that it appears to intersect with a second equally stong line a few miles ahead. Arcade comments, "That's Greenwich. Where the Royal Observatory is located."

Since they know know where they are going to Wes flags down and hires a hansom cab to take them the remainder of the four miles downstream from Tower Bridge along the banks of the River Thames to the Royal Observatory. Once they escape the main part of the city, the land opens up to a park, which makes most of the group feel more comfortable, especially the druids.

Nearby is the Royal Naval College with its great baroque architecture; Arcade explains that this had been the Greenwich Hospital designed by the great architect Sir Christopher Wren and that other famous British architects contributed to its buildings. Louie mutters, "Still too square, no Feng Shui in these people..." Arcade ignores him and talks about how the Hospital was closed in 1869 and that it was being turned into the Royal Naval College just about the time he left Britain.

Sam and Hank are just gawking at the cluster of huge buildings. Qualtaqa compares it to Washington, DC, calling on his recollections of the White House and other buildings there. Arcade asks, "Didn't we burn that town in 1812?" Hank and Sam each give him a whack while Morgana just rolls her eyes. Louie looks puzzled, so Morgana gives him a quick history of the War of 1812 as they near the observatory building. When the Royal Observatory comes into view, Louie says, "Well, at least this one has some round parts!" (See http://www.nmm.ac.uk/uploads//jpg/PU2226.jpg for a picture.)

Morgana becomes quiet, feeling the power of the ley lines that go through the area. Hank asks, "Why's this place so all-fired important?" Arcade tells him how important navigation is to sea-faring peoples like the British, and how they needed to find their east-west position accurately. So they established this location as the Prime Meridian, measured as 0 degrees longitude. From there, using accurate clocks invented by clockmaker John Harrison, they could measure their position. Wes comments, "That strange woman did tell us that "Zero is your friend."

Hank still looks a bit puzzled, and Arcade has to remind him there are no landmarks at sea. Sam asks if he can explain it without all those fancy words. Arcade gives up... Louie complains that the British had to make themselves important again by picking a spot in their country, to which Morgana reminds him that there are some of the strongest ley lines in the world intersecting here.

Arcade points out the domed Meridian Building behind the main part of the Observatory. "That's where the new telescope sits," he comments, "Its location marks the exact Prime Meridian." (This was erected in 1850, so it is pretty new! Especially by British standards.) "Measure, measure, measure - science and technology!" mutters Morgana, "I hope they haven't ruined the magic!" Hank tries to tell her, "Well, little lady, progress marches on!" She says, "Things have worked just fine for a long time!" Arcade tries to distract her, pointing out how the building is built so nicely into the landscape, and pointing out the many old trees around. This helps get the group back on track as they prepare to enter the building.

They enter the building and trying to find their way around. They ask a receptionist if they can look around. She says that they are welcome to but reminding them that it is nearly 4:00 P.M. which is traditonally "tea time."

As they make their way through the building, they go past a room with several timepieces in it (the Harrison gallery). Louie pokes his head in and says, "Fancy clocks!" Afraid that Louie is sizing them up for their street value, Arcade explains that they are national treasures, the original Harrison clocks. "They were the first truly accurate timepieces that could be used to determine your east-west position when navigating around the world." Hank says, "I tell you what, I can tell time close enough by looking at the sun!" Qualtaqa concurs, but Sam asks, "What do you do on a cloudy day?" Morgana interjects, "There are plenty of magical ways to tell time accurately - you shouldn't need machines to do it!" Arcade shushes her, reminding her of the local views about magic. The group actually manages to move quietly for a while after this!

Qualtaqa reminds them of the woman's other clue of looking low, and suggests that they find a way to get into the basement. Morgana says, "Yes, the ley-lines will be even stronger as we get deeper into the earth." "Plus we know the book is underground," Sam comments. Qualtaqa warns, "Yes, but we may not want to actually go there and take on this foe until we have a better idea of who they are and what they are capable of."

Special thanks to CelticWolf for his assistance in writing this chapter (and for pointing out edits now made to prior chapters).

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases