D&D General Things That Bug You

Reynard

Legend
This is just a thread for things about D&D -- any edition or simulacrum -- that kind of bug you. It isn't a place for an edition war or to attack other people for their opinions. And it isn't a place where we talk about real issues that might cause real harm to people. it's a place for grousing about the small stuff.

Okay.

In 5E, it really irks me that all of the summoning spells are described as calling form some spirit that then takes the form of the whatever-you-summoned. That is just DUMB. Why not summon the actual thing? It's magic? If I summon wolves -- I literally drag wolves from someplace in the woods to serve me for a short time and send the survivors back.

In pretty much all versions of the game: Charisma. It's a mess. It doesn't mean what they think it means.

Emerikol

Adventurer
I would agree on Charisma and on Wisdom too. I think Willpower is a great stat.

I think some of the assumptions about what makes players happy in modern game design bug me.

I think adventures that can be placed in any number of places in a world is something valued in the old days and not really valued these days. I like a module that I can drop into any swamp or any foothills or any forest.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I feel like no edition of D&D that I can recall had a nice clean and easy and memorable system for grappling/wrestling. Some of them may have worked fine in practice, but every time it comes up it still feels like something we need to stop and look at the book to confirm it is being done right.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
Balance treadmills. Inevitably in discussions on balance or magic item economy or things like that, the conversation turns to what the system assumes and how you should itemize or build your character. It adds a bunch of complexity and places where players can screw things up for the equivalent of “you have a X% chance of succeeding at (some task)”.

Badly keyed adventures. There are good ones (in OSR adventures), but the ones for Pathfinder and 5e I have run were pretty bad. I get there are business reasons (to make them more appealing to those who read but not run them), but I inevitably have to put in extra work fixing or rekeying them to use them at the table.

Last edited:

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
aside from the ideas above the lack of proper integration setting wise and the subpar implementation of monks and psionics or as I wish to describe them the internal magic classes.

also, they lack any race that loves them, who are in the player handbook, that live in the prime material and are reasonably iconic.

Last edited:

Remove ads