D&D 5E Thinking of throwing a girl at one of my players

Lanliss

Explorer
So... does this woman *want* to be given to a knight? If the knight turns her away, does she remain the slave of the person who gave her to the knight, or can she go her own way? Is she waiting for an opportunity to escape?

Giving humans as gifts, or prizes for a competition, did sometimes happen in the Middle Ages, but it would raise alignment questions in some D&D settings.

She is not a gift, she will most likely be running away from home to follow her dashing champion, by choice. If the PC turns her away, it may go a bit darker, possibly with a turn towards warlock (swearing herself to a Succubus, which will probably be Fiend pact with a modified spell list.), and a future attempt at kidnapping the Knight if the player does not handle the "break up" delicately.

discosoc

First Post
How does introducing this character into the story actually enhance it? Who controls the character? Is it just an excuse for you to "play" as a PC while being the DM? Do other players have similar levels of attention when it comes to extra story bits?

I'd seriously consider just asking the player what they think. These kinds of ideas sometimes sound great or funny on paper, but then you end up pissing the player off because now there's some external crap going on with how their character is playing out -- possibly in direct contradiction to what they were intending when they made the character.

It almost feels like you're forcing a character story onto the player, though, so don't be surprised to find out they aren't interested. And if you do go through with it, and they "reject" the NPC, you'll possibly make things worse by trying to force her into a more prominent role with the story if it's done in a way that make the player feel like it's the *only* character development he's getting to do.

But if the player is totally cool with it or something, then go for it.

Lanliss

Explorer
How does introducing this character into the story actually enhance it? Who controls the character? Is it just an excuse for you to "play" as a PC while being the DM? Do other players have similar levels of attention when it comes to extra story bits?

I'd seriously consider just asking the player what they think. These kinds of ideas sometimes sound great or funny on paper, but then you end up pissing the player off because now there's some external crap going on with how their character is playing out -- possibly in direct contradiction to what they were intending when they made the character.

It almost feels like you're forcing a character story onto the player, though, so don't be surprised to find out they aren't interested. And if you do go through with it, and they "reject" the NPC, you'll possibly make things worse by trying to force her into a more prominent role with the story if it's done in a way that make the player feel like it's the *only* character development he's getting to do.

But if the player is totally cool with it or something, then go for it.

Player is all for the idea, and it would probably function similar to a familiar from the Find Familiar spell, but without the arcane aspects. Few actions of actual use in combat, or maybe the ability to swing a sword, but no proficiency in any weapons. I would probably let the player control it, unless she didn't want to, in which case I would.

The other player has, regrettably, not given me much on a character story yet. I have no idea when we will be playing though, so he has time. As for what she adds, the PC is an official Knight, and I had already planned on letting her acquire a squire at some point, to train on his/her way to becoming a Knight. This gives me a fun way to do that, without it just being "you get a squire". As for the rejection, I am still not sure that is how I would handle it, just one of the ways I could see it going, depending on how badly the player breaks it off. Sitting down for a long talk about the dangers of the wide world, and how the girl isn't ready for them, would probably turn out fine. Sneaking away to abandon her in the middle of the night, not so much, and might lead to a bit of understandable anger, depending on the conclusions drawn by the girl.

I am mostly on here to ask about the mechanics end. I can probably wing it, maybe with Commoner stats and proficiency with one tool set, sewing, chef's tools, that kind of thing, but I wanted to see if anyone else had prior experience on this.

aco175

Legend
You can start her off as a 1st level thief who tags along following the knight after being awed by the knights power, charisma, etc... The girl can be a poor farm girl being beaten by her evil uncle after not being good enough since the plague passed through several years ago and killed her parents and her cousins. If the knight still does not take her in, the girl can pass in and out along the trail. Up ahead on the trail you smell roasting meat and see Gabby finishing off cooking a few rabbits. She can show up with healing herbs and shortcuts for the road, or a way to sneak into the town or tower. Many ways can eventually break the will of not wanting her to tag along.

I am mostly on here to ask about the mechanics end. I can probably wing it, maybe with Commoner stats and proficiency with one tool set, sewing, chef's tools, that kind of thing, but I wanted to see if anyone else had prior experience on this.

I have prior experience letting PCs pick up NPC followers, yes. Works fine to roll the followers on 3d6 and start them out at -200 XP. Give them the weapon/nonweapon proficiencies of their class but only half HP and nothing else. Once they earn 200 XP, they are no longer in the XP hole so they hit first level. Go from there.

...I was just looking for tips on how to start her off, since a common girl won't have much beyond household skills or maybe some farming.....
Says who? She can have whatever skills you want her to have. Maybe she's a good brawler because she used to fight with her brothers. Maybe her Dad was a widow and part of the City Watch and taught her how to handle a short sword. Maybe her mother was a mid-wife and taught her healing. Or a priest and she grew up as an acolyte. Don't limit yourself unless that is your intent.

I have prior experience letting PCs pick up NPC followers, yes. Works fine to roll the followers on 3d6 and start them out at -200 XP. Give them the weapon/nonweapon proficiencies of their class but only half HP and nothing else. Once they earn 200 XP, they are no longer in the XP hole so they hit first level. Go from there.

1st level is hard enough to survive. Why would prolonging it and reducing the hp be a good idea?

I would think a better model is just create a normal 1st level character with maxed Con and Dex instead of their combat or spellcasting stat, and if a vHuman, a skill-enhancing feat like Actor or Skilled.

1st level is hard enough to survive. Why would prolonging it and reducing the hp be a good idea?

While I obviously can't tell you how the game works at your table, I can observe that it works just fine at my table. Of the nine or ten NPCs who have followed this model, I believe all except one made it to first level all right. Typically the PCs and veteran NPCs take point, and the rookie NPCs support the flanks and/or engage in ranged combat from the back line. XP accumulates quickly and before you know it the rookies are all 3rd-5th level.

Obviously that pattern won't hold if you love to throw 60' radius 20d6 Fireballs at the whole party including anyone on the back lines--but if so, there won't be any mystery in your mind about why the 0th-level NPCs died. It's because you torched them. If that's your gaming environment I would just say, "Don't introduce any important NPCs who aren't already experienced heroes, or they will die." Or, change your game to be less anime-ish, so that low-level (N)PCs can survive.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I am thinking of the girl being good at one given "house-wifey" skill, like cooking, sewing, or patching up wounds, and bad at another.. like how to handle this in combat, and whether or not I should make the girl a liability?
Liability in combat would be politically incorrect these days, a side-kick or love-interest like that should probably beat the hero at least once (think Nalla in the Lion King, that was the first time I noticed it). Cooking -> Combat? TWFing cast-iron pan (mace) & rolling pin (club). No, really, did that in 3.x once. ;)

Lanliss

Explorer
Liability in combat would be politically incorrect these days, a side-kick or love-interest like that should probably beat the hero at least once (think Nalla in the Lion King, that was the first time I noticed it). Cooking -> Combat? TWFing cast-iron pan (mace) & rolling pin (club). No, really, did that in 3.x once. ;)

Not worried about it being politically incorrect for a couple of reasons. First, the Player is a female,and is in full support of this. Second, the PC Knight is question is a Lady Orc Knight, so I am not exactly sending the message that women are weak.

Another question, how long do you all think it would take to train a commoner to a point where they can be called proficient with a weapon? I imagine it would be at least 6-9 months, if not longer?

Remove ads