D&D 5E Thinking of throwing a girl at one of my players

Lanliss

Explorer
You've basically described the Xena/Gabrielle relationship with lady-love as a real possibility. I mean some of your points here are literal episodes from Xena. #1 comes up a little later and basically leads to Gabrielle being jealous at first, then passive-aggressive, then finally getting along with the "new fan" but explaining to them that this is serious business and the "new fan" typically walks off thinking they're gonna get some training and come back and show off how awesome they've become. #3 is pretty much the first season with Gabrielle. Training her in some basic warrior ways. Gabrielle comes out much more the dex-fighter than Xena's more brutishness. #5 when Gabrielle returns home only to be treated like the girl her hometown remembers but she's changed a lot since then and has to prove to everyone that she's got skills and when Xena(the PC) shows up Gabrielle has things largely in hand and Xena even lets her take charge in parts of the fight because it's Gabrielle's people.

Anyway, if you're not familiar with the Xena/Gabrielle Batman/Robin dynamic duo I'd check up on that some.

I've seen "trainees" go both ways in different campaigns, even with initial player buy-in. I've done it myself. It can be fun and rewarding but I think requires a lot more role-play than roll-play. Trainees die really really reallyeasily.

I know of Xena, and have watched a few episodes when I was younger, but I do not remember most of it. Most of the stuff I have said in this thread is from my player, since I asked her what she would think of having a girl that ran away from home to follow her Dashing Champion. Either way, I will leave all of the character up to the Player, aside from maybe dropping some hooks related to the NPC, like home sickness or some pretty gem she wants. Unless my player asks something like Where to train for magic, or where she can find a Barbarian teacher, I won't be involved much beyond this stage.

Remove ads