Thirteenth Doctor - First Season - Thoughts? (SPOILERS WELCOME)

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I sat in for Spiders myself. (My wife thought she might bolt part way through; a spider the size of your thumbnail is big enough for her.)
We then realized it is the weekend before Halloween.

How many tropes were they planning to pile in one place to create the giant spider? - toxic waste, biology lab, landfill, natural seepage, a coal mine. In the Godzilla/NYC movie they just used the handwave "radiation did it" and that was adequate for the purpose at hand. Somebody on the Who cast must have binge-watched Captain Planet.

The villain seemed to be a nod to Bond Villains in general, and the TV network owner trying to start WW3 between China and Britain in particular. But only a nod behind the cardboard cutout of 'jerk CEO'.
P.S. He has no idea why Trump won - which is part of his character - but watching him fall flat in the primaries would be entertaining. Future episode?

We thought there was a segment missing between shooting the Mother Spider and the Conclusion. OK, you've contained the brood (ALL of them? Are you SURE?) in a box with some air. What happens when the boom box's batteries run out? They eat each other until the one XL survivor also suffocates? And why are you certain that Jerk CEO won't go in there later to try some stunt that accidentally lets them out again?

I liked the episode. Much like how the Rosa Parks episode felt like a 1st Doctor throwback where the challenge was surviving the past, this felt very much like a 70s Pertwee episode. It was almost a homage to The Green Death.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
We thought there was a segment missing between shooting the Mother Spider and the Conclusion. OK, you've contained the brood (ALL of them? Are you SURE?) in a box with some air. What happens when the boom box's batteries run out? They eat each other until the one XL survivor also suffocates? And why are you certain that Jerk CEO won't go in there later to try some stunt that accidentally lets them out again?

I was actually thinking about the episode last night and the thought occured to me that they didnt actually kill the Spider they left in the neigbours Apartment. I don't think Yaz's parents are going to be happy when the Landlord goes in next door and lets out another hungry giant spider to terrorise Shefeild

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I was actually thinking about the episode last night and the thought occured to me that they didnt actually kill the Spider they left in the neigbours Apartment. I don't think Yaz's parents are going to be happy when the Landlord goes in next door and lets out another hungry giant spider to terrorise Shefeild

Setting the boom box loud enough to draw that spider too would have woken up the neighbors and somebody would have called the police about Noise Ordinance.
So much for "let's take care of this quietly, OK?"

MarkB

Legend

The lady from the spider lab said that they deserved to be killed humanely - and she knew about the one in the flat. It wouldn't have hurt to see her organising that, but it also isn't much of a leap to assume she took care of it.

Ryujin

Legend
The lady from the spider lab said that they deserved to be killed humanely - and she knew about the one in the flat. It wouldn't have hurt to see her organising that, but it also isn't much of a leap to assume she took care of it.

It's also not a stretch to assume that specific spider, which got into that apartment somehow, might also have gotten out and been part of the spiderpocalypse.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Spiders was my least favorite episode, and a real fall from the prior episode, mainly because of the ham-fisted cartoon villain. I hope he is not a recurring character, or if he is, make him more 3-dimensional. But there were some real gems in this otherwise blah episode.

1st - the grieving scenes - Bradley Walsh delivered a moving performance and made for the deepest and best portrayed motive for a character wanting to go off with the doctor in the history of the show (at least that I can think of off the top of my head).

2nd - the scene where the giant mother spider was dying because it grew too large and it being shot. Up until the villain started speaking. Such good writing so startlingly quickly ruined by poor writing.

As much as I like the doctor and mostly like the companions ( like Graham and Yasmin, but Ryan isn't working for me), I'm still on the fence about this season.

Remove ads