D&D 5E This Game Feels Like D&D 3.Xe

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
What else would you play up to make a D&D 5e game reference D&D 3.Xe in small ways?
If I wanted to emphasize the "Back to the Dungeon" slogan, I'd play a lot of dungeon crawls.

I ran a lot of 3e games based on AD&D adventures that I had converted and I've done both AD&D and 3e adventures I've converted to 5e. And I have yet to find one that didn't really work because of the edition. So I have to say that I don't think there has to be loads of variance between editions whether 1e/2e, 3e, or 5e other than experienced through specific mechanical differences. If you approach your D&D editions based on a personal approach and style that doesn't focus on exploiting the differences between editions, then D&D can feel pretty consistent. For example, we didn't invest heavily in magic item creation or markets when we first started with 3e and so 3e didn't feel quite so different from 2e.

There were class skills and non-class skills, the latter requiring twice the skill points to raise. Assuming you don't want to port the whole skill systems, maybe think about a bonuses or penalties based on class and proficiency modifier.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Spend 15 minutes flipping through the PHB and DMG every time a grapple is attempted.
This might actually be a good excuse to go fix the Grappler feat. :unsure:

Gotta have spiked chains (maybe mechanically a whip that does piercing damage.)

Allow buying and selling magic items if you don’t already.

Wands of Cure Wounds. Wands of Cure Wounds everywhere.
Thanks - will add spiked chains.

Buying and selling magic items definitely in already. I couldn't actually remember if that was a D&D 3.Xe thing.

I have a D&D 5e character named Wanda Curelight specifically because of that being so prolific in D&D 3.Xe.

Axiomatic and archaic weaponry!

Crit ranges and damage multipliers with confirmed crits.

Maybe, probably, more trouble than its worth but break feats up mechanically and give them out more in bits.
I'll think about playing with crits. I forgot about that. I don't love more dice rolls though so it would have to be something other than another roll to confirm. :unsure:

Oh, alternating 5’ and 10’ diagonals if you don’t use that already.
Are you trying to get me killed?

Stormonu

Legend
Halflings are good looking and the elves are ugly (j/k).

With more emphasis on alignment ... only Lawful Good Paladins, Neutral Druids, Chaotic Barbarians and Lawful monks (for NPC's only?)

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
If I wanted to emphasize the "Back to the Dungeon" slogan, I'd play a lot of dungeon crawls.

I ran a lot of 3e games based on AD&D adventures that I had converted and I've done both AD&D and 3e adventures I've converted to 5e. And I have yet to find one that didn't really work because of the edition. So I have to say that I don't think there has to be loads of variance between editions whether 1e/2e, 3e, or 5e other than experienced through specific mechanical differences. If you approach your D&D editions based on a personal approach and style that doesn't focus on exploiting the differences between editions, then D&D can feel pretty consistent. For example, we didn't invest heavily in magic item creation or markets when we first started with 3e and so 3e didn't feel quite so different from 2e.
My experience is that the play experience between editions is very different and, when I've run them more or less the same, it doesn't work very well. Here I just plan on doing a regular D&D 5e game but have a few little nods to D&D 3.Xe for funsies.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Encumbrance (serious on this one)
Negative hit points instead of death saves (maybe?)
+1 to +3 bonuses that randomly stack or don't stack for things that aren't good enough for getting Advantage/Disadvantage (semi-serious maybe?)

Remove ads