D&D 5E This Game Feels Like D&D 3.Xe

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Definitely some variant healing rule to slow down natural recovery. I think the DMG “gritty realism” rule of 8 hour short and 1 week long, while mechanically different from 3.5’s natural healing, would be sufficient to create the feel of healing without magic taking forever.
Woulnt it be better to just tack the recovery system for spells and hp from 3.5 on 5e?

I dont have any idea what it was, though, so maybe those mechanics dont exist in 5e no more?

You could use stuff from the Level Up Advanced Fifth Edition rules. It reads a lot like Third Edition. Replace the Expertise Die mechanic with +2 bonuses. In fact, that was a big part of Third Edition--stacking various modifiers into a roll instead of the Advantage Die of Fifth Edition.

pukunui

Legend
I ran a 5e game a while back where hit point recovery during a long rest equaled your character level + your Con mod. I know that's not exactly how it worked in 3.x but it did what I wanted better than the official "gritty" variants in the DMG.

Maybe, probably, more trouble than its worth but break feats up mechanically and give them out more in bits.
Easiest thing to do would be to say that when you take a feat, you just get one bullet point benefit at a time. Also, to get that real 3.x feel, you'd need to decouple feats from ability score improvements. Feats weren't optional. You'd just get them automatically at certain levels.

Last edited:

Have at least one Iron Golem immune to magic, one undead actually drain levels, and one spellcaster ignore the 5E rules and cast 3E spells (maybe even loudly saying he's doing it, while breaking a one use temporal crystal or something).

Remove ads