Thor: Love and Thunder spoilers

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Was a bit delayed in seeing it to a few weeks back, and just saw this thread after some inactivity. Sorry I'm late to the party.

First, some level setting. I was rather meh on Ragnarok - the humor didn't catch me. This is after seriously loving both of the GotG movies. I know lots of people enjoyed it, but the first Thor was the strongest for me, and none of the Thor movies have been top-in-MCU list for me.

I enjoyed L&T quite a bit more than Ragnarok. The humor in it worked for me more, and the quantity was toned down so it didn't feel like it was being forced to come at us that fast. And Jane took some of the goofiness in ways that worked.

There were some strong action sequences, striking black and white, two separate tears-in-my-eyes scenes. I loved the kids, laughed at the goats, and liked (but not loved) the chemistry between the characters. Cheered at King Valkyrie and The Mighty Thor. Quite liked our antagonist, not even sure I can call him a villain if it wasn't for kidnapping the kids. I enjoyed the Korg biased-narrator bookends, which since I'm not a Korg fan is saying a lot. Actually more leaning anti-Korg. It had quotable lines. "It's The Mighty Thor. And if that's too hard, try Doctor Jane Foster!" was said many times. And to repeat myself, I really loved the kids, especially their power-up scene, but really anything with Axl.

For me, this was a 7/10, and the just behind the orignal Thor in my rankings of Thor movies. Solid, rewatchable, but not one of the outstanding stars of the MCU.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Still not a fan of Thor or Thor movies. Put Chris Hemsworth in an ensemble cast with no lines, now that's a Thor movie. I found very little of it funny. I don't find awkwardness funny. Thor's obtuseness in the beginning was just uncomfortable.

I liked the army of kids at the end. The stuffed bunny would be an epic magic item.

Bagpuss

Legend
At this point, we're going to be running into "why didn't they seek help from (new movie person) with Thanos or the snap?" with each movie during phase four more or less

Which is a stupid limitation to put on an expanding ever growing serial. You can't create any new content without having to explain why it wasn't involved in X significant event?

This is a comic book universe, in the comics they didn't need to go and explain what X and Y were doing while this and that was going on. It is a expected foible of an ever expanding (MC) universe. You really can't expect them to fit everything they introduce neatly into existing cannon.

Also in the comics, different comics have different tones, these films reflect the comics, some movies/characters have different tones to other characters. They are all still Marvel, you shouldn't expect the Thor movies to have the same tone as Captain America's movies. And like the comics even characters aren't always consistent and can change their tone to suit the genre/setting they find themselves.

Personally I liked this movie, especially the goats.

Remove ads