Thor: Love and Thunder spoilers

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I also disliked that, after Infinity War and Endgame stomped all over the "your hammer wasn't the source of your power, it just channelled it, you no longer need it" character development, this movie just doubled down on that, having Mjolnir granting full-on Thor powers to Jane.
Captain America used lightning in Avengers: Endgame, so we know that Mjolnir has mojo of it's own. Which makes sense, we know that Stormbreaker has mojo of it's own. Mjolnir might even have more, since the All-Father trapped Thor's power in it in the first Thor movie.

This is something that was already made canon in a previous movie, just with the dial turned up a bit. Potentially explained by Thor's love, connection, and debt to Jane. Or explained by Jane already having been the vessel for power in Thor: A Dark World and able to accept more of it, especially in her time of need due to the cancer.

GreyLord

Legend
I finally saw the movie. I don't know why people are complaining about it. I didn't like it as much as Thor Ragnorak, but it is probably one of my favorite MCU movies that I've seen. Definitely the best one I've seen for this phase (personal tastes, obviously others have their own tastes).

We can post spoilers now...right?

I felt the story was stronger in this one than in Ragnorak, or at least the Villain was. This wasn't a villain that just wanted to kill because they were evil and liked it, this one had character and one that you could actually understand and be sympathetic too. If anything, their point was proven that a majority of the various pantheons were not worth being around as exhibited by Thor's visit to the immortal city of Omnipotence city, where they could care less about anyone or anything except themselves).

It was also why, Thor could convince him at the end as Thor was constantly trying to protect others, a dynamic NOT seen with any of the others. I thought they also did Jane in a very good manner and showed a good relationship conflict and resolution between her (Mighty Thor) and Thor.

I actually really liked it.

Mallus

Legend
I watched it last night (admittedly with a few glasses of Chardonnay) and thought it was... delightful? Funny and bittersweet and frequently absurd like the movies Taika Watiti made before getting budgets well in excess of 100,000,000 to shoot with.

I’m coming to really respect any director who can maintain some semblance of a personal voice when making a contemporary blockbuster. Like James Gunn, to cite another example.

Not sure if this is better than Ragnarok, but it’s a whole lot more cohesive. I guess having themes helps? Some of the visual jokes were brilliant (New Asgard with the docked cruise ships) and that set piece fight against spider shadows on the Little Prince’s planet if it were thrown in the Negative Zone might be my favorite fight in a Marvel flick. Thought the kids fighting while imbued with the power of Thor was a great comic book-y moment.

Taika and Gunn are the only people making visually interesting Marvel films.

Last edited:

I don't know why people are complaining about it.

I think it may be because it was such a mixture of serious and silly, to the point it was too serious for the silly-lovers and too silly for the serious-lovers. I think the only thing off for me is that I may be getting tired of the Korg shtick. I almost feel like he is slipping into Jar Jar territory.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I saw it tonight. It was... okay. It had a bunch of good bits, but much of the comedy came off to me as forced. Perhaps they were trying too hard to duplicate the feel of Ragnarok rather than make this one... itself, I guess.

I think Jane's arc would have been far better supported by a Marvel Miniseries than a movie.

Kaodi

Hero
I enjoyed it but it was not very good. I am not sure it was trying to be though. I mean, the self-parody must have been kinda intentional? Anyway it almost made no sense whatsoever but was still kinda funny how Stormbreaker is jealous of what Thor and Mjolnir had, to the point of floating in from offscreen. It almost makes sense if you consider that Stormbreaker is part Groot. Also kind of insane in a not bad way how much Thor has been a family affair, from his older brother being in the movies, to his wife subbing in for Natalie once during a reshoot, and now their daughter being in the film.

pukunui

Legend
Also kind of insane in a not bad way how much Thor has been a family affair, from his older brother being in the movies, to his wife subbing in for Natalie once during a reshoot, and now their daughter being in the film.
Chris Hemsworth's son also played young Thor in the scene where he's growing up as he runs through the woods, and his wife was the "wolf woman" Thor was romancing on the back of a "woman wolf".

Taika's kids had cameos in the movie as well.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Finally saw it on Disney+. My wife and I really liked it. The MCU Thor is really different from the constant straight-man Thor has been in the comics, and, for the most part, that’s a good thing.
Loved the screaming goats. Loved the choice Gorr made at the end and I was thrilled they took the story in that direction. It’s nice to see a villain have a real epiphany like that. Too many never do and never really change (and, unfortunately, have their epiphanies/changes undone by other writers).

Remove ads