Thor: Love and Thunder spoilers

Bagpuss

Legend
I think it may be because it was such a mixture of serious and silly.
I watched it the cinema when it came out and started watching it again last night.

They go from the comedy/action of Thor destroying the glass temple, cut straight to Jane getting a scan for cancer stage 4.

Which is kind of an emotional jump in tone.

pukunui

Legend
Having rewatched this over the weekend, I am pondering three things:
  1. What was up with Zeus talking about human sacrifice? At the end of the film, he complains about how no one worships the gods anymore, so who is killing people in their names?

2. If Stormbreaker has enough sentience to be able to be jealous of Thor’s relationship with Mjolnir and move itself through the air and such, why didn’t it resist Gorr using it to open the way to Eternity? Even just having Gorr struggle to get it into place in front of the door would've sufficed.

3. I hope we find out more about Love. She’s clearly not just Gorr’s daughter reborn. She’s got Eternity inside her (or she is Eternity in the form of Gorr's child).

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Saw this a couple of days ago on D+.

I'd plunk this solidly in the middle of Marvel movies. I liked it better than some - Eternals, Iron Man 2, GoG 2, and didn't like it more than some others. A solid B+ as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, I can see where some of the criticism is coming from - there was just too much going on - too many cameos and characters that really weren't all that necessary. Sure, the bit with the Guardians is fun and all, good punchline and the goodbye scene is funny, but WOW, talk about dragging it out. Yeah, we get it. Thor sad, Quill wants to leave.

I think I would have preferred a tighter movie with about half as many characters but a lot more time with Thor, Jane and Gorr.

I'm sure Love will be making appearances again before too long.

And, I do agree that putting Korg and Luis in the same scene would be freaking hilarious.

Eh. That gag was good once, but the repeated use was one of the things that I thought was forced comedy.

That is how I am starting to feel about Korg. I hate to think he had so much to do and say only because he is Taika's character. I don't know if his action parts should have been reduced or if they should have not had him doing the narrating. What was a good and fun and emotional movie, would have been better with about 5-10 minutes of stuff edited out. And I am saying this as someone who normally prefers Director's Cuts with the added scenes.

What was up with Zeus talking about human sacrifice? At the end of the film, he complains about how no one worships the gods anymore, so who is killing people in their names?
Whiny boy is feeling sorry for himself and having a good moan. When have folk ever needed a real issue to moan about?
If Stormbreaker has enough sentience to be able to be jealous of Thor’s relationship with Mjolnir and move itself through the air and such, why didn’t it resist Gorr using it to open the way to Eternity? Even just having Gorr struggle to get it into place in front of the door would've sufficed.
It's firmly held by the power of the evil sword of evil.

pukunui

Legend
Whiny boy is feeling sorry for himself and having a good moan. When have folk ever needed a real issue to moan about?
When they first go to Omnipotent City, and Thor is fangirling over Zeus, and the Zeus mentions some sort of competition to see which god has the most human sacrifices, and then Thor’s like “Maybe he’s not so great after all.”

But then at the end, Zeus is complaining that nobody worships him anymore.

So who’s doing the human sacrifices? I suppose he could be lumping aliens in with humans. But still … just seemed kind of weird.

It's firmly held by the power of the evil sword of evil.
I guess.

Remove ads