D&D 5E Those who come from earlier editions, why are you okay with 5E healing (or are you)?

jsaving

Adventurer
If hit points really did measure physical damage, then the ruleset would need to restrict characters' actions as their hit points fell. But in 5e, even characters with 1 hit point can take their full allotment of actions without incurring penalties to their saves or attack rolls. For that reason among others it seems to us that 5e's healing rules are completely in keeping with the rest of the ruleset -- though we can certainly understand how DMs who think about hit points in a different way would struggle with the issue of nightly healing.

Last edited:

5ekyu

Hero
As others have chimed in on, the rule for PCs apply to PCs not everything in the world. So, others have it or not at GM discretion.

In this way, it is just like damage saves. PCs get them and others can die at zero or also get saves.

In terms of prior editions, every edition handled things differently but these usually just meant you still got back up but maybe you needed a dirt cheap wand of CLW or a cleric or two or healing potions etc.

My take on 5e is that they just cut out the silly middle-men/items/trinkets to make it quick and easy to play from the start, knowing and expecting GMs to tweak it if they wanted different.

ccs

41st lv DM
I don't particularly like the 5e healing system.

Like I said in another thread, I could force the issue when I DM & decree a change. I've considered it.
But it wouldn't be worth it & wouldn't improve the game. Because the players are happy enough with the current 5e way & all that'd changing would really do is cause a bunch of unending complaining (especially from one player).
I've just got better things to do than make changes that won't improve anything.

I think it's weird to worry about the healing aspect. Before you even get healed, and this is in all versions of DND: "No matter what you do, how badly you injure yourself, as long as you are not dead, you will be fully" functional. In All those examples in the OP, even before healing gets the chance to break verisimilitude, it should be long gone by the fact no matter what injuries a character has, it doesn't impede or impair them. That's totally ridiculous, compared too IRL.

Or, you could look at it, obviously those injuries can't have actually been that bad as they didn't slow you down - so healing overnight is fine.

Either way, I don't sweat it. Didn't in the 70s, still don't now

BrokenTwin

Biological Disaster
For me, the healing on rest rules aren't so much about plausibility as pacing. I like running slower paced games with a reduced focus on combat, so the alternative slow recovery rules in the DMG help ensure that combat still has meaningful consequences. I'd use the standard healing rates if I was running a dungeon crawl adventure, or a fast-paced epic save-the-world style plot.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
I'll chime in and say that I, too, run a slightly grittier game. The DMG varient for Slow Natural Healing is what we use, in combination with a slightly expanded lingering injuries table; to prevent a lingering injury happening a lot, we have a "roll to confirm" whenever a natural 20 occurs on an attack roll or natural 1 on a saving throw. If the roll to confirm is 11 or higher, its a lingering injury. The lingering injuries do apply to NPCs and bad guys, too, though; one really big fight that was not going well for the group totally changed because of one blessed crit that cut off the BBEG's sword arm. It was so epic, and is still something that the group talks about two years and change later.

base on what I use to see in movie and tv show, the overnight healing in DnD is quite casual.
the game is based on combat, social and exploration, not resting and ressource management.
there is enough variant rules to satisfy most dm.
and the dm may impose some longer recovery when it seem appropriate.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
For me, the healing on rest rules aren't so much about plausibility as pacing. I like running slower paced games with a reduced focus on combat, so the alternative slow recovery rules in the DMG help ensure that combat still has meaningful consequences. I'd use the standard healing rates if I was running a dungeon crawl adventure, or a fast-paced epic save-the-world style plot.

There may be a better knob for you to adjust than healing. If you want slower paced games, change the rest interval. The DMG has an option for a long rest taking a week and a short rest 8 hours. Something like that can slow down you healing but also match the class resource management models to the pace you are running. So you don't get casters who can nova all the time. etc.

Last edited:

Remove ads