• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Thoughts of a 3E/4E powergamer on starting to play 5E

hawkeyefan

Legend
If there is already a barbarian in the party, then the "defender" role may be covered already. Playing a Paladin like a Striker is a matter of personal preference. If they're having combats inside a house, there are a lot of choke points where the front line can be minimised.

It sounds like its more of an investigation adventure than a dungeon crawl. He may have decided to play a "bodyguard"-type character who doesn't engage much unless a fight starts. If the adventure is quite intrigue-focused, with little combat, then there is the impetus for character growth.

I believe that they are playing Curse of Strahd, so combats will be a little less common than some other adventures, but from what I've read (haven't actually played it yet) they can be incredibly deadly.

I think a paladin as a striker is fine, for the most part. But I don't think that the class abilities are there yet to really excel at that role. Smite and fighting style both kick in at level 2.

It'd be interesting to see [MENTION=59096]thecasualoblivion[/MENTION]'s choices for stat assignment and fighting style. He said they just reached level 2 at the end of the session, so the choice of fighting style will have a big impact on his experience.

My guess is that he focused on Str to maximize damage output and will go with the Great Weapon Fighting Style for the same reason.

Excuse me if this takes a couple of posts, it's hard to do this the clean way on a mobile device.

Wow, could our group (and others) be an anomaly... I've had people survive from 1st level to 10th/12th playing fighters... and judging by other accounts so have quite a few other groups... so when you say "survivable without having to pay for it" I think that at least some of us are experiencing that from level 1. Perhaps it's the play style necessary to survive that you don't enjoy...which is all fine and good but doesn't actually prove that characters aren't survivable out of the gate... just that you don't play in a style that the game rewards with surviving at that level. In fact I would wager there are many players finding the characters quite survivable without having to pay for it at level 1 and as they get higher, well from experience it gets harder to actually kill characters in 5e.

You're taking too narrow a view of the word survivability. I would include not getting pummeled so you spend time making death saves on the ground and not overly being a burden on the party's healing resources to be included in a broad definition of survivability. You can get pummeled to below zero hp frequently and be a drag on party resources and still level to 10-12 in 5E. s for playstyle, I'm not sure what you're talking about. Could you describe this playstyle?

Being a tank/defender in any edition has always been about taking one for the team... and as far as being awesome, well if that isn't "awesome" to you then why do you want to play a tank?

I was able to achieve my definition of awesome while playing a tank in both 2E and 4E. The tools to do so are absent from 5E.

Well in 4e when I chose to be a Swordmage I was great at damage mitigation and sucked at dealing damage and there was no easy way to mitigate it without expenditure of resources... and even then I couldn't hit like a striker. The only Defender that could get close to striker numbers was the fighter and that was because by the end of 4e the class was a bit overpowered due to how much support had been heaped upon it... but that wasn't the case with all classes or all roles. In the end selecting a class in 4e was a constraint in that you wouldn't be as good at some of the other roles as other characters were.

You bring up a possibly unintentional strawman. The 4E Swordmage was a very weak Defender and a very weak class overall, and a very poor example of playing an awesome 4E Defender, even in the hands of an optimizer. As for dealing damage, that wasn't just a Fighter thing. I could build a Defender who can reach the bottom end of Striker-tier damage with Fighter, Paladin, Warden, Battlemind, Knight, and Berserker. Damage isn't the only form of offense however, there is also control, which 4E Defenders tended to excel at. I'd even say that using control powers in combination with base Defender mechanics made 4E Defenders the most effective control type characters in the game. This also, ironically, is another area that Swordmages tended to be weaker compared to other Defenders.

Now as far as your "awesome" goes it seems from this and previous posts... you want a character that can't be hit or hurt but also that does massive damage in combat... and the problem is that 5e's mechanics are making it difficult for you to attain combat superiority in attaining both of these things without investment of resources. Well, can't say I'm all that broke up about it not catering to that specific definition of awesome (especially at level 1) but I guess if that's your only way to have fun well then low level 5e is probably not for you... perhaps join in on the game once they've reached 3rd or 4th level.

4E defined being awesome as something you didn't have to sacrifice in order to take one for the team. You got the full Defender package just for choosing a class. Healers primary resource was separate from their attacks, and healing or buffing was defined as something you did in addition to your attack, not instead of. 5E is a big step backwards.

I'm not a fan of low level 5E, but to me that's a completely separate issue.

Uhf... being less good at the other roles is exactly what selecting a class (and thus role) in 4e means... the main difference is that 4e baked it into the classes more heavily than 5e does.

1. In 4E, you never had to sacrifice offense/attacking for your role. A 4E Defender could be built for damage or control, but both are offense. For a 4E healer buffing allies was their primary offense, but it was something they accomplished in addition or in the midst of attacking, not instead of. They could also heal and attack in the same turn, and healing didn't compete with offense for resources.
2. You didn't get less than a role. You were good at something. With 5E, you start out not particularly effective at anything, and if you make poor decisions you stay that way. Also, the roles in 4E were mostly balanced against each other(Controllers a bit less so), while in 5E they mostly aren't.

5e is no harder to houserule than 2e and 3e low level play was also very dangerous/swingy... just like every edition except 4e.
5E is harder to houserule than 2E. 2E mechanics were generally isolated. If you changed or removed something, it rarely affected anything else. 5E was designed at a system level, and different mechanics were designed to interact with each other. Changing or removing one thing tends to cause unintended consequences to other parts of the system, because the pieces interlock. This makes it harder. As for 3E, I avoid making too many generalizations on play. In my experience, play varied between tables in 3E to a degree not seen in any other edition, and the culture of 3E tended to be more hostile towards low level play than any other edition.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I'm still confused as to its purpose in 5E, given:

1. By RAW, the meatgrinder levels go by quickly and very little game time is spent there.
2. Unlike AD&D where save or die, level drain, and other gotcha effects were a thing even at higher levels, those meatgrinder levels have a definite expiration date in 5E.
3. There is a bit of a disconnect due to the contrast between those first few levels and the rest of 5E. It's like there are two almost unrelated games.
Sure. IMHO, it points to an intent to evoke the nostalgia factor of the meatgrinder, but not to the point that it stops being fun (which'll obviously be different for different players, but just, y'know, in general, probably based on those polls we all filled out during the playtest - y'all filled out those poles, didn't'ay?).

4. What are the early meatgrinder levels supposed to mean to players who have no experience with traditional AD&D?
Just speculation on my part, but I have a sneaking suspicious that the idea is to establish that the game is 'deadly'/dangerous/exciting early on, so later level cakewalks don't seem boring.

No one is requiring you to like 5e;
No one's /requiring/ it, but a goal of 5e was to broaden it's appeal, not merely shift it away from existing fans of the then-current edition. Every fan we lose is a very real failure, so I'm glade Mr. Oblivion, here is at least giving it a chance, and venting his frustrations rather than not trying it at all and edition-warring against it. (At least, I hope that he's honestly trying it - it's not like no one ever /claimed/ to try a new ed while maligning it in ways that showed they'd clearly never cracked the book.)
if you do not like it for what it is, that's totally fine! Despite 3e and 4e, many people continued playing 1e and OSR. This isn't Fahrenheit 451 where all prior editions are burned; if it isn't working for you, just play another edition, or another TTRPG. :)
Quite aside from 4e books actually being burned and the videos posted, the ongoing support for past editions and the styles associated with them does vary. The classic game has the whole OSR thing going, that's still pretty significant. 3e is immortalized via the OGL and it's current mortal avatar, Pathfinder, is still going strong. 2e, of course, is the single edition most strongly reflected by 5e. 5e, for it's part, in addition to being the current edition, is also covered by the OGL and has a limited SRD, so it is at least a demi-god compared to 3e's outright immortal status, even when it's day in the sun eventually ends (assuming it doesn't turn out to be the last edition of D&D).

Wow, could our group (and others) be an anomaly... I've had people survive from 1st level to 10th/12th
No, it's nothing unusual, even in 1e when the deadly first-level of play was drawn out by the much higher exp targets for level 2. Back in the day, we often used variants house-rules to increase survivability to get there. But, then, as now, the DM could always tweak and soft-ball encounters and generally help you get through to 3rd or 5th level or so when your characters became viable on their own. We have lots of experienced DMs out there who know how to preserve fun and PC lives through low levels. The anomaly, perhaps, is the player who suffers through it all 'RAW.'

Well in 4e when I chose to be a Swordmage I was great at damage mitigation and sucked at dealing damage and there was no easy way to mitigate it without expenditure of resources... and even then I couldn't hit like a striker.
Formal 'Roles,' balanced classes, yep.
The only Defender that could get close to striker numbers was the fighter and that was because by the end of 4e the class was a bit overpowered due to how much support had been heaped upon it...
The 4e fighter was a respectable secondary striker from the PH1, not because of the support it, like all the PH1 classes, got over the edition's brief run. Every class had at least one secondary role, some called out explicitly, others not so much. The Swordmage shaded into Controller, with some AE attacks, more variety in typed damage and conditions than the fighter, for instance.

In the end selecting a class in 4e was a constraint in that you wouldn't be as good at some of the other roles as other characters were.
As opposed to a Tier 1 being better at everything than some other, benighted Tier-5 class was good at, sure. 'Balance,' again. An anomaly in the grand sweep of D&D history, I suppose, but not an unpleasant nor entirely unlamented one.

Now as far as your "awesome" goes it seems from this and previous posts... you want a character that can't be hit or hurt but also that does massive damage in combat... and the problem is that 5e's mechanics are making it difficult for you to attain combat superiority in attaining both of these things without investment of resources.
He seems to have felt he got the level of 'awesome' he needed from 4e, which certainly didn't feature characters who couldn't be hit or hurt, let alone while dishing massive damage. So, no, probably not that, at all. I think he's just having a rough time with the random-quasi-lethality of 1st level 5e (and, perhaps, the way the 'awesome' of melee types might not kick in until they get extra attack), and will get into it more as he enters the 'sweet spot' towards the end of apprentice tier.

... perhaps join in on the game once they've reached 3rd or 4th level.
An excellent idea. The game plays very differently at low level than at mid.

When somebody is absolutely determined to hate something it's pretty hard to talk him out of it.
If you'd suffered through the edition war - as thecasualoblivion did, BTW, and suffered, IIRC, quite the change of heart with Essentials, too - you'd realize just how tragically true that statement is. But, I don't that's where he's coming from. Really, I have seen very little of that kind of attitude with 5e, which is refreshing.

I was able to achieve my definition of awesome while playing a tank in both 2E and 4E. The tools to do so are absent from 5E.
5e fighters don't seem much less DPR-tastic than in 2e. What's missing?

The 4E Swordmage was a very weak Defender and a very weak class overall, and a very poor example of playing an awesome 4E Defender, even in the hands of an optimizer.
Seemed pretty awesome in one campaign I ran. It was certainly less-supported, as a Campaign-setting rather than Core class, but didn't fall through the cracks as lamentably as, say, the Seeker.
As for dealing damage, that wasn't just a Fighter thing. I could build a Defender who can reach the bottom end of Striker-tier damage with Fighter, Paladin, Warden, Battlemind, Knight, and Berserker. Damage isn't the only form of offense however, there is also control, which 4E Defenders tended to excel at.
To be fair, the Berserker actually switched modes to Striker when it raged, and the defender brand of 'control' should not be confused with the actual Controller role.
4E defined being awesome as something you didn't have to sacrifice in order to take one for the team. You got the full Defender package just for choosing a class. Healers primary resource was separate from their attacks, and healing or buffing was defined as something you did in addition to your attack, not instead of.
The 'team' contributions could very well be the 'awesome.'
5E is a big step backwards.
Not that big - though, yeah, as a 'compromise' edition trying to evoke the classic game, inevitably, it was going to be a step back from the latest edition. Healing Word, for instance, stayed in, so you can stand up an ally and still make your attack that round, for instance.

You have only just tried first level, so far, though, so I hope you'll keep an open mind. I've seen much better results at 5th-8th.

2. You didn't get less than a role. You were good at something. With 5E, you start out not particularly effective at anything, and if you make poor decisions you stay that way. Also, the roles in 4E were mostly balanced against each other(Controllers a bit less so), while in 5E they mostly aren't.
There aren't formal roles in 5e, so that's the wrong place to look for balance. Balance exists mostly in the resource schedule, over a 6-8 encounter/2-3 short rest 'day,' and is a very dynamic 'spotlight' style thing largely under the auspices of the DM. It's not something you'll find just in examining the mechanics.

5E is harder to houserule than 2E. 2E mechanics were generally isolated. If you changed or removed something, it rarely affected anything else. 5E was designed at a system level, and different mechanics were designed to interact with each other.
I have to disagree. It's easier to house-rule a system with a single, simple, resolution system (d20) as a foundation than a heterogenous one. Though there's less need to issue formal (let alone written) variants house-rules in 5e than in 2e, because 5e lends itself to introducing all the tweaks and adjustments you need through in-the-moment rulings.

As for 3E, I avoid making too many generalizations on play. In my experience, play varied between tables in 3E to a degree not seen in any other edition, and the culture of 3E tended to be more hostile towards low level play than any other edition.
E6 seemed pretty popular.

Last edited:

Fair enough. Paladin seems a bit of an odd choice then, but we're also talking about levels 1 and 2, so every character is a bit fragile.

Vengence Paladin gets Smite, Hunters Mark, a short rest Channel Divinity that gives advantage against one enemy, two attacks at 5, improved smite at 11, Polearm Master/Great Weapon Master. I think offense looks pretty fine.

Based on the comments that have followed, my take on how you view things (and I could be wrong) is that you don't like to be hit in combat. You prefer to not take a hit rather than absorb a hit. And I do think that's one way that this edition has changed a bit from prior ones...HP recovery is way more robust in 5E than almost any other edition, with only 4E comparing. As such, the game expects you to lose HP.

So if your view that "getting your ass kicked is not awesome" means "I don't like to lose HP", then yeah, I think you may have to shift your thinking a bit and start taking some hits and not looking at it as a negative.

I don't expect most characters to make it through combat without taking some hits, except the ones that really focus on avoiding melee and maintaining cover at all costs. A paladin doesn't really fit that mindset too much, although you can play any character however you like. It just sounds like if you're not finding the character you've chosen to play to be fun, you may want to change up how you play him.

I play a Defender more than anything else in 4E. I like being hit in that game. The difference is that in 5E, being hit rarely accomplishes anything. In 4E, being hit was the price you paid for incredibly strong control. I'm all for getting hit as long as it is in the pursuit of accomplishing something productive, otherwise why bother? Also, in 4E being hit tended towards "bend but don't break" as opposed to 5E's "break but don't die".

I would call 5E's healing less robust than 3E's Wand of Cure Light Wounds.

It almost sounds to me like a Rogue would have been a decent house for you. They're all about hanging on the perifrary of combat and then bouncing in with a sneak attack, and then out with their cunning action. And if they do get hit, they roll with it for half damage. That sound some like the role you want.

Having said that, I'm sure as you level up the Paladin, you'll be more happy. You say you want to play him more offensively minded...once you can smite, you'll see his damage output spike.
My stepson is playing my Rogue(I built it), so that one was out. Probably would have been my first choice otherwise.

Well, ultimately anyone can come up with a reason to play any class however they want. I don't mind that at all. But I don't know if he's happy, which is why I said what I did. There's not a lot of synergy between his class choice and his play style. That may improve over time as the Paladin gets more abilities and the fragility of low levels inherent in all classes fades.

I read the Vengence Paladin in the PHB and I see plenty of offense. In addition, many people in this thread recommended Paladin to be based on how I described how I play.

If there is already a barbarian in the party, then the "defender" role may be covered already. Playing a Paladin like a Striker is a matter of personal preference. If they're having combats inside a house, there are a lot of choke points where the front line can be minimised.

It sounds like its more of an investigation adventure than a dungeon crawl. He may have decided to play a "bodyguard"-type character who doesn't engage much unless a fight starts. If the adventure is quite intrigue-focused, with little combat, then there is the impetus for character growth.

For what it's worth, there is a Barbarian present who is kind of taking the lead on the tank role.

Mind BLOWN! :)

If powergamer-omptimizer style is "whatever works for the system." Then, applying that style to a system that is best played without optimization would mean playing without it!

Gives a whole new meaning to the terms, sort of like a "powergamer-optimiser for maximum whole table fun levels" version. :D
Best played without optimization is personal taste, not a system feature. Anything can be optimized, the questions are only how and to what degree. 5E is definitely open to optimization, just not to the same degree as 3E or 4E. I don't see where your "playing without it" statement has anything to do with anything.

ChrisCarlson

First Post
I'm not at the table, and I'm no expert, but having read your various comments I just want to say that I hope you are presenting yourself as an open, upbeat person during the game, and when discussing it with others. Rather than some bitter, grognardian curmudgeon*. Because you have at least one minor (your stepson) watching you play. Setting a good example for young players is the biggest responsibility us older players have. It's what will keep this hobby going for future generations.

(*Caveat: I'm not saying you are doing so, just that I hope you aren't. Because I have seen such things IRL.)

I ran 2e much more than I played it, and, yes, ran it heavily modified (proportional healing, for instance). But, I do find that 5e pushes those same buttons for me, because it invites the tinkering and on-the-fly rulings & improv I used in 2e, and that's both fun in itself, and nostalgic, as well. And, while 2e (late 2e) was possibly my least-favorite version of D&D, it was still enough like the 1e AD&D that I first got into (technically I started with the c1979 basic set, but it was AD&D that really sealed the deal for me). And, 5e is also evocative enough of the original AD&D to tickle my nostalgia.

I get that, you can sit out the boring minutia and 'back them up,' waiting for something more exciting to happen...

When I was playing 2E, traditional AD&D was on its way out the door if not already gone for us. Vampire the Masquerade, Chrono Trigger, and Dragonball Z had more influence on our table than tradition did.

The boring minutia part is exactly it, the idea is to sit out the boring while still technically participating.

I believe that they are playing Curse of Strahd, so combats will be a little less common than some other adventures, but from what I've read (haven't actually played it yet) they can be incredibly deadly.

I think a paladin as a striker is fine, for the most part. But I don't think that the class abilities are there yet to really excel at that role. Smite and fighting style both kick in at level 2.

It'd be interesting to see [MENTION=59096]thecasualoblivion[/MENTION]'s choices for stat assignment and fighting style. He said they just reached level 2 at the end of the session, so the choice of fighting style will have a big impact on his experience.

My guess is that he focused on Str to maximize damage output and will go with the Great Weapon Fighting Style for the same reason.

My stats are:

Str 16
Dex 10
Con 14
Int 8
Wis 10
Cha 16

I plan on putting stat boosts into Str exclusively, and I may or may not take Great Weapon Master as a feat. Aside from my stepson's Rogue which I'm building for him, it's not a particularly optimized table and that feat might be overkill.

I'm wielding a Greatsword and just took Great Weapon Fighting style. I'm a Human and took Resilience Constitution as my feat. I plan on going Vengence Paladin at level 3, and after much debate I don't foresee myself Multiclassing.

Imaro

Legend
You're taking too narrow a view of the word survivability. I would include not getting pummeled so you spend time making death saves on the ground and not overly being a burden on the party's healing resources to be included in a broad definition of survivability. You can get pummeled to below zero hp frequently and be a drag on party resources and still level to 10-12 in 5E. s for playstyle, I'm not sure what you're talking about. Could you describe this playstyle?

No you're redefining "survive" for your own purposes. IYO... surviving is never having to make a death save and not being an over-burden on party healing. While I on the other hand think all of that is irrelevant when the question is... did you survive to see another level... because if you did then it doesn't matter, you survived.

Well since you keep using the word awesome without a clear definition... I'll just have to take your word for it.

You bring up a possibly unintentional strawman. The 4E Swordmage was a very weak Defender and a very weak class overall, and a very poor example of playing an awesome 4E Defender, even in the hands of an optimizer. As for dealing damage, that wasn't just a Fighter thing. I could build a Defender who can reach the bottom end of Striker-tier damage with Fighter, Paladin, Warden, Battlemind, Knight, and Berserker. Damage isn't the only form of offense however, there is also control, which 4E Defenders tended to excel at. I'd even say that using control powers in combination with base Defender mechanics made 4E Defenders the most effective control type characters in the game. This also, ironically, is another area that Swordmages tended to be weaker compared to other Defenders.

No your contention was that you didn't sacrifice in one role when you chose a class with a particular role... I showed you an example where that was false. You're not getting it though, the sacrifice was made in the very design of the class... yes you might have been good in your primary role and ok in your secondary but that leaves 2 more roles you suck in. Why? Because you're specialized in your classes role.

4E defined being awesome as something you didn't have to sacrifice in order to take one for the team. You got the full Defender package just for choosing a class. Healers primary resource was separate from their attacks, and healing or buffing was defined as something you did in addition to your attack, not instead of. 5E is a big step backwards.

But you still sacrificed in 4e. Could the fighter in 4e cover the leader role without expending resources to delve into that area? No... that's the "sacrifice" you're making in 4e to be a specialized defender. THe difference is 5e says hey instead of us telling you how much defender and how much striker you're character class is going to have... we'll give you a much wider berth to customize that.

I don't think it is...

1. In 4E, you never had to sacrifice offense/attacking for your role. A 4E Defender could be built for damage or control, but both are offense. For a 4E healer buffing allies was their primary offense, but it was something they accomplished in addition or in the midst of attacking, not instead of. They could also heal and attack in the same turn, and healing didn't compete with offense for resources.

Sure you did... you did less damage than most strikers in exchange for more durability as a defender. Again could a 4e fighter be an adequate leader? No. Could a 4e leader do the same type of damage that a striker could in a single round? No. There were definite trade-offs, they were just hidden within the selection of the class itself.

So you like optimizing... but don't like that your role isn't pre-decided for you and you have to make choices to perform a certain role or roles in the game? I'm curious, what kind of "poor decisions" can be made in 5e that make you ineffective at anything? All of the classes, at least in so far as I am remembering them right now have base proficiency in something through class abilities alone.

5E is harder to houserule than 2E. 2E mechanics were generally isolated. If you changed or removed something, it rarely affected anything else. 5E was designed at a system level, and different mechanics were designed to interact with each other. Changing or removing one thing tends to cause unintended consequences to other parts of the system, because the pieces interlock. This makes it harder. As for 3E, I avoid making too many generalizations on play. In my experience, play varied between tables in 3E to a degree not seen in any other edition, and the culture of 3E tended to be more hostile towards low level play than any other edition.

I'm curious what changes are you talking about? Or is this purely theoretical?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads