Thoughts on Redeeming Light and Corruption (Please Read)

Kalanyr

Explorer
First a request if you will never agree to a Redemption/Corruption match post below stating so please.

Now for the thoughts:

I am having a hard time understanding people's reluctance to accept these matches even if you are a Yakuza/Honour and lose a Redemption/Corruption match all you have to do is go find a Dark/Light and get returned to your previous path. Net loss 2 ranks (Yakuza/Honour have more disgrace ranks than this)!

Sash have it a little harder having to give up a tier, but with their pay and not drop ability dropping a tier means only 1 win is needed to regain the Yen path. So why the fear and outright bans?

Most people of other paths would look at me funny if I said no Bribe Judges or No Tricks or No Fist of Fury but are quiet willing to put restrictions on my abilities, I wish to know why.

I am sure Berandor, MidKnight and z_mystic will feel much the same about this, especially when they reach Tier 5 and have a key power revolve around Redemption/Corruption.

Last edited:

Phoenix8008

First Post
I know your pain, Kalanyr. Nikodemus was hardly able to get any fights back in YB 1.0! On the other hand, there was no mechanism to voluntarily change paths back then. If you got changed, it was that or death. I would certainly not refuse to fight you based on your power, and I wouldn't stipulate that you not use them in order to fight you. Of course neither of my character's is in your power range, so I would probably refuse to fight you for that reason...sorry.

reiella

Explorer
One sidenote, just fighting another light/dark again after being redeemed/corrupted would not return you to your original path at all.

It would just be another set of ranks.

Let's say Gang Boss 2 fights light, gets Redeemed, ends up Green Belt 1 because of that.

They then fight same light warrior (let's say Tier 5 to make it useful), and gains 3 ranks, Green Belt 4...

If they decided to convert then, it'd be to Copper Sash 2, and poof, that's it. Can't further.

If they change after the redemption, that puts them at Copper 2, and if they fought anyone again and won, that'd put them at Silver Sash 0, and they could convert over to Thug 2 then... At a lose of 3 ranks total after having won a fight.

Not so sure where you got that yakuza can jump right back to their original path, or even honored for that point.

[ Add ]
Ah I see, getting corrupted right back...
Net lose is two ranks.

It also kind of destroys any gang structure established, and your existing powers.

Last edited:

graydoom

First Post
Kal, I can tell you why people are willing to place restrictions on yoru abilities. RL is a power that first, does not affect the actual fight, and second, can cause a fighter to forcibly change path. In contrast, powers like Fist of Fury are usable in fights, to gain flags, and cannot force a fighter to change path.

So there is a case for the difference between RL and such powers as FoF.

Rathan

First Post
I IMO could go either way on this......

you could argue that RL/C is bad becase most people pump alot of time and enegry into their character concepts....... thus with RL/C forces if you are redeemed or corrupted to change all that you have worked so hard IC to developed..........

On the other hand, thier are powers like MT(Mind Thief) and RoD (Right of Domain) that work with the RL/C to give the fighter using them powers from it....thus making thier charater better and more usefull.......

I think both RL and C are good powers and would not anbd have not rufused a fight yet because of it......

IMO I think other more usefull and bennificial powers could replace them that would be more acceptable.... I hate to see someone not get fights because a power they have..... in that case it's pointless to have RL/C if no most everyone is afraid to go us aginst it........

Last edited:

Vanor

First Post
Back when we were working on YB2, I was against the idea of RL/C as path powers. They make sense IC wise, but like Rathan pointed out, most people have enough energy invested in character development they don't want to see their character change so drasticly due to one fight.

But on the other hand, it does make things like mind thief and Right of Domain pretty much usless.

An idea... alter the powers so they are sort of combined. Rather then losing ranks or swiching paths, a special round could be called and the effects of mind thief/Right of Domain could kick in. But something may be needed to replace RL/Coruption.

Phoenix8008

First Post
Okay, this is off the top of my head, so shoot it full of holes if you can.

Make it more palatable to fight someone with this power in this way. There is currently an extra round added to determine the RL/C power effect. Scrap this and make it so that the fighter with RL/C needs one extra flag to win the match beyond what is agreed to at the begining of the match. This puts them at some disadvantage unless they fight someone else who has the opposite power which would equal things out. If the fighter with RL/C wins, then the power automatically activates at that point.

The effect could be changed to this: If the power activates, the losing fighter has a CHOICE between being converted as per the power normally OR they can drop a number of RANKS equal to the Tier of the winning fighter who succesfully used RL/C. This gives people the option of staying in the Path that they have chosen if they want to.

What do ya'll think? Fire away...

reiella

Explorer
So, people would end up losing 5 ranks if they lost to Kalanyr or being converted...

Don't think that'd help all that much in people being willing to face it.

MidKnight

First Post
I have to agreed with Rei on that - No way would anyone take that fight...

I prefer Rathan's idea of just replacing the powers with something else that would be more useful.

MT and RoD can be kept, just work it like RL/C works now - add an extra round to the fight and if the fighter using RL/C wins, they get to pick one of the sig styles or locations of the loser to adopt as their own.

But then I would ask for some other power to be added to the 4th tier to compensate for the loss of the RL/C power.

Remove ads