Thoughts on the rebooted He-Man (Netflix)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
... but it was obviously aimed at middle-aged men (and women) who grew up with the original; this does raise some questions about the reasoning behind the female-led cast and sidelining of Adam, but I suspect honest inquiry would impossible at this point.

I kind of liked those aspects of it. I think they were clever ways to update and get around a few of the problems the original would have for a modern, older audience.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Sure. And, I'm the sort that discussing the discussion is part of the enjoyment for me. :)

If the show's ostensibly a cooking competition, is its complete lack of dance content a valid point? I guess I can't say you shouldn't be bugged by lack of tango in the Great British Baking Show... but maybe if you are bugged by it, that's less about the show than it is about the viewer?

When a show is produced and set in 21st century America, and the main male character is a sexist pig who should be the star example in human resources videos on sexual harassment, one of the female characters literally punches him in the face for it, and the character doesn't change and it is continued to be played for laughs, I think it valid to be bugged by that. The show could do better.

When it is a cartoon set in a world in which a guy raising his magic sword (no imagery, there, no sir, not at all) turns him into a loincloth wearing barbarian hero with anatomically questionable levels of musculature, it is perhaps not really the show's fault that it bugged you on that point. It isn't like it misled you about what it would contain, did it?

Moreover, would that have improved the show for you if they did it? They had seconds to talk about it, and it was going to destroy the world, but let's take some time to talk about safety? Maybe as a genre-breaking joke that might work, I guess. But that sounds more appropriate for a satire show, like, say Lower Decks, than for this.
Ummm. OK?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
And I've finished all five episodes! I really quite liked it (and that comes from somebody who does not usually like animation).

I liked the ending, and I'm looking forward to the next season (assuming there is one).

Setting it after the original series rather than being a reboot of it was the right move, I think.

So yep, minor niggles aside, thumbs up from me!

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
I kind of liked those aspects of it. I think they were clever ways to update and get around a few of the problems the original would have for a modern, older audience.

I don't have a problem with it, either, but it's alienating a lot of very vocal people, and unless that was the point, I don't see how it's benefiting them. The very obviously astroturfed 25% fan rating on Rotten Tomatoes probably isn't doing them any favors.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't have a problem with it, either, but it's alienating a lot of very vocal people, and unless that was the point, I don't see how it's benefiting them. The very obviously astroturfed 25% fan rating on Rotten Tomatoes probably isn't doing them any favors.
I think RT review bombing will ultimately hurt RT more than anyone else, unless they can get a handle on it. I suspect crowdsourced review scores there or anywhere else are going to go away in the next few years.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The very obviously astroturfed 25% fan rating on Rotten Tomatoes probably isn't doing them any favors.

Whoof. Yeah. I think the 94% critics rating, 25% viewer rating, however, kind of tells that story pretty clearly.

Though, to be honest, maybe it will do them favors. Sure, there's a small vocal audience that's cheesed off. But I think the act of cheesing them off may actually be a draw to more middle-of-the-road folks. Clear signal that he's not following the emotionally-vacuous male power fantasy may open more market than it closes.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Whoof. Yeah. I think the 94% critics rating, 25% viewer rating, however, kind of tells that story pretty clearly.

Though, to be honest, maybe it will do them favors. Sure, there's a small vocal audience that's cheesed off. But I think the act of cheesing them off may actually be a draw to more middle-of-the-road folks. Clear signal that he's not following the emotionally-vacuous male power fantasy may open more market than it closes.
Hmm I’m not sure how Skeletor getting hold of the sword and becoming a god is any less male power fantasy than He-Man.
moreover Prince Adam is hardly a character that shouts male power fantasy either. While the death of He-Man was a fine starter, bringing Adam back and then ending on a gotcha twist was not a signal of anything other than Kevin Smiths self indulgence

Last edited:

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I went in expecting something egregious and ended up watching "Elseworlds: What if He-Man died?"

The only problem I had was with Adam's second death. By that I mean the story beats lined up like he was going to lose the sword somehow (and get some character growth in the process), but just offing him with a sneaky backstab felt narratively unsatisfying. It was like giving someone the keys to a supercar and watching them sit around at the McDonalds drive through.

Henry

Autoexreginated

I’ve seen the majority of negative reviews, at least on YouTube, it seems to be the usual crowd of “there’s no He-man! Teela’s the main character! This sucks!” with the majority seemingly having written their reviews based on trailers. I may think differently when I get to read more reasoned reviews from people like @Tonguez, which isn’t a hate-screed and actually calls out specific points they disliked. For now, though, I’m looking forward to getting the time to watch it.

Remove ads