• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Tiamat?

Derren

Hero
How so the Terrasque is supposed to be a massive near unbeatable monster that gods would fear.

Without a ranged attack, magical weapons and any special form of defense except against spells? The Tarrasque is a joke and a few mid level flying archers with magical weapons are enough to kill it without losses. It is only CR 30 because of the name.

Mirtek

Hero
How so the Terrasque is supposed to be a massive near unbeatable monster that gods would fear.
No. In 4e she was a threat to demigods (because of how depowered exarchs were) but in no other edition she had that power

The tarrasque may eat a kingdom before going back to bed. A true deity like tiamat eats a world before going back to sleep.

Even in 4e tiamat was 5 levels above the big T and in 2e and 3e so far above that the tarrasque wouldnt even count as an anoyance

Last edited:

Wolfskin

Explorer
Someone above wrote he is glad they did not depower her. I disagree, being set on the same level as the tarrasque is depowering to a deity.
Well, the fact that the Tarrasque is either underpowered/overlabeled doesn't mean Tiamat has the same issue. I, for one, really don't care for power creep and over-the-top power level, so as long as adventurers don't go over level 20, CR 30 is not such a bad number to me.

the Jester

Legend
Which is a demoting comparison for a true deity. I just hoped that if they went for statting deities they would do them justice.

Someone above wrote he is glad they did not depower her. I disagree, being set on the same level as the tarrasque is depowering to a deity.

No. In 4e she was a threat to demigods (because of how depowered exarchs were) but in no other edition she had that power

The tarrasque may eat a kingdom before going back to bed. A true deity like tiamat eats a world before going back to sleep.

Even in 4e tiamat was 5 levels above the big T and in 2e and 3e so far above that the tarrasque wouldnt even count as an anoyance

If you are asserting that Tiamat has outpowered the tarrasque in every edition- which I think is what you mean, but your post is worded a little confusing- I have to say that you're flat-out wrong.

1e Tiamat: AC 0, hp 128, 6 attacks for 2d8/3d6/2d10/3d8/3d10/1d6 (average damage: 62).

1e tarrasque: AC -3, hp 300, 6 attacks for 1d12/1d12/2d12/5d10/1d10/1d10 (average damage: 64).

Granted, this includes neither Tiamat's breath and poison nor the tarrasque's sharpness bite and unkillability, but I think you have to admit that, if you're talking RAW, the tarrasque is traditionally as tough as Tiamat. The way 2e treated deities was an outlier in D&D's history; they had stats before 1e, in 1e, in 3e, in 4e and, from the looks of things, in 5e. I understand the position of those who prefer the statless, almost-limitless god, and I share the feeling to a certain extent, but that's atypical for D&D.

Someone just showed me Tiamat's statblock. Which I have to say. Imagine if the Tarrasque had slightly less Hp and covered all of the Tarrasque's weaknesses while having even more powers and immunties. Seriously that statblock does belong to a creature that can threaten the world. Looking at the stat block I honestly don't see anyway to beat her.

Mirtek

Hero
If you are asserting that Tiamat has outpowered the tarrasque in every edition- which I think is what you mean, but your post is worded a little confusing- I have to say that you're flat-out wrong.

1e Tiamat: AC 0, hp 128, 6 attacks for 2d8/3d6/2d10/3d8/3d10/1d6 (average damage: 62).

1e tarrasque: AC -3, hp 300, 6 attacks for 1d12/1d12/2d12/5d10/1d10/1d10 (average damage: 64).

Granted, this includes neither Tiamat's breath and poison nor the tarrasque's sharpness bite and unkillability, but I think you have to admit that, if you're talking RAW, the tarrasque is traditionally as tough as Tiamat. The way 2e treated deities was an outlier in D&D's history; they had stats before 1e, in 1e, in 3e, in 4e and, from the looks of things, in 5e. I understand the position of those who prefer the statless, almost-limitless god, and I share the feeling to a certain extent, but that's atypical for D&D.
Interesting. Didn't know the 1e stats. But in 1e all deities received standard packages of spells based on their divine tier. Need to consider them as well and not just compairing melee.

In 2e there was no competition between the tarrasque and any deity (deities themselves being beyond stats with avatars having up to over 100 levels plus priviledges like always having Initiative over mortals)

Neither was there in 3e with the CR 20 didn't even top the greatest mortal dragons.

In 4e she was closest, topping demigods (aka exarchs which were immensly depowered in 4e) and only being 5 levels below the weakest deities

Mirtek

Hero
Someone just showed me Tiamat's statblock. Which I have to say. Imagine if the Tarrasque had slightly less Hp and covered all of the Tarrasque's weaknesses while having even more powers and immunties. Seriously that statblock does belong to a creature that can threaten the world. Looking at the stat block I honestly don't see anyway to beat her.
That sounds good, but i still say that CR 30 is too low. There are a lot of entities that still need to fit between her and big T and where should they go then?

It's "Asmodeus has equal CR of a pitfiend" all over again (where does that leave the other eight archdevils in various strength weaker than Asmo? Below ordinary putfiends?)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads